The Summer Break Thread

SaturnianBlue

It's that time of year for some of us... Summer break! Here's a thread for talking all about it!

For me, I plan on focusing on a lot of things I did not have much time to do during the school year. For one thing, I'd like to focus on trying to expand my extracurriculars by signing up for summer camps, working on competitions, and maybe work on getting an Astronomy club at my school set up. Additionally, I hope to work on hanging out with friends because this is certainly not something I've ever been able to do regularly for a long time. Another hope is that I try out random hobbies (like reading) that a combination of school and procrastination has really prevented me from attempting. Speaking of which, I definitely want to spend the plentiful time I have to work on gaining better habits and try to improve myself. Lastly, I certainly hope to get back into KSP, and possibly even revive some projects that I abandoned a long time ago...

Mine starts in about a month, although you could say it starts next week, considering the actual school lessons are nearly over and i will only have to do tests from now on.

I always have great plans for summer, and end up doing nothing but sleeping, eating, and doing chores instead. But hey, thats the point of summer break right? Having a little bit of rest?

My summer break is divided into two parts. Since I do not have tenure, if I don't work in the summer I do not get paid. So, my summer break goes from May 15 to May 29 and August 15 to September 3.

It's a good thing I don't like long vacations or deviations from my normal schedule.

Summer break was fairly empty last week. Now going to a university research program kinda thing which is sucking up all the hours..... 

over my summer I plan to work on KSP mainly. I WILL FINISH YOU IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO, UNITY UI SYSTEM! Right now though, I'm on a 2 week break from all that. I've already been to Mystic Seaport, and I wonder what else I'll get up to...

Edited by DeltaDizzy

Summer break? No such thing in New England this year. We’re going to school until the very end of June because of all those blizzards and snowstorms and nor’easters and the May 15th Derecho that resulted in two or three weeks’ worth of school being cancelled. So we have to make up all those missed days. But guess what? Because we have to reach a specific amount of school days per year, we’re actually going back to school earlier to make one up! 

I hate climate change. If it wasn’t for that, I would actually have a normal summer break, but nooooo. The weather just has to go absolutely berserk. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

7 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Summer break? No such thing in New England this year. We’re going to school until the very end of June because of all those blizzards and snowstorms and nor’easters and the May 15th Derecho that resulted in two or three weeks’ worth of school being cancelled. So we have to make up all those missed days. But guess what? Because we have to reach a specific amount of school days per year, we’re actually going back to school earlier to make one up! 

I hate climate change. If it wasn’t for that, I would actually have a normal summer break, but nooooo. The weather just has to go absolutely berserk. 

I have to say, part of that problem you're having is because these days the schools will close for the least amount of inclement weather... 3 inches of snow on the ground, or even 6, was never grounds for a school closing back in the 60's & 70's. I remember that on such snowy days, extra time would be allowed for kids and teachers to get to school... which pretty much meant the skipping of 'Homeroom' and going straight to 1st class.

4 hours ago, klesh said:

The snow was deeper back then and you had to walk uphill both ways!

Actually, this is true.

As I recall, snow came earlier in the season, and it seemed to fall 'deeper'. Then again, I was a kid, and my legs were shorter... so yea, there was 'more' snow.

As for uphill both ways... this is literally true too. Where I lived, on top of a ridge, I had to walk a little over a mile to school; That meant down the hill, up a hill, and down a hill into the center of town. The walk back home was up down up. So, yea, I can say that! :lol:

My grandad told me that one day, there was such heavy snowfall, that they couldn't acces the car anymore.

Now we only get 20-150mm of snow per year or something.

2 minutes ago, NSEP said:

My grandad told me that one day, there was such heavy snowfall, that they couldn't acces the car anymore.

Now we only get 20-150mm of snow per year or something.

I've been told numerous stories about "The blizzard of '93". Supposedly it was a real blizzard, though we never got much snow when we lived there. That would make a blizzard all the more threatening, I guess.

29 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

I've been told numerous stories about "The blizzard of '93". Supposedly it was a real blizzard, though we never got much snow when we lived there. That would make a blizzard all the more threatening, I guess.

Also known as the "no-name storm" down here in Florida... though I didn't know it was the same storm at the time. I still hear people talk about it. It blasted through Florida with the power of a hurricane, and dumped a ton of rain, then headed up the coast, and snow-locked Binghamton, NY (where I lived) for over 3-days... No cars on the roads, only snow-mobiles and people with skies... literally! I remember it well... It's a big reason why I'm never moving back to NY... snow... blechhhh..... :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.