Theories on Mystery Goo?

ArmoredLipid

Personally, I think it's a type of biological sample intended to test if Kerbals can survive in the environment it's exposed to. Many think it's green, and the in-game text for the experiments focus unduly on whether the goo freezes, becomes brittle, remains "bored", etc. Specifically, I think it's something along the lines of liquified Kerbal.

1 hour ago, avengerki said:

I always thought of it as the semi-intelligent green jello mystery object found at the back of the refrigerator 6 months after it was made.

Good point, considering that the description implies that it was found in a dumpster. Come to think of it, semi-intelligent green jello mystery objects and Kerbals are roughly similar (green, disproportionate, not the smartest), so there's that.

Here's something interesting:

1. Set game's resolution to maximum

2. Go to VAB/ SPH and attach a mystery goo container to something, then open it

3. If you zoom really hard on the tiny holes, you can see "faces"

Theories?

3 hours ago, ARS said:

Theories?

It's a colony of semi sentient tiny smiley....things!!

That are probably green.

I have no idea what it is but I know I'm not messing with it. That stuff is both alive and ungodly tough.

You can fire the stuff into space, expose it to hard vacuum and unfiltered sunlight, send it through whatever analogue Kerbin has to the van Allen belts, and then bake it in its canister during re-entry.

And it still swims away if you open the canister after splashdown. The only comfort we can take from this is that it does swim away rather than engulfing the kerbonauts in an act of well-deserved revenge.

Edited by KSK

So after seeing that video it could be a colony of radioactive sentient kraken blood. They hide in the non-threatening form of a green jello and occasional form up to better see out of the container. When they are released into the ocean they are on the hunt for a great place to live. 

2 hours ago, KSK said:

I have no idea what it is but I know I'm not messing with it. That stuff is both alive and ungodly tough.

You can fire the stuff into space, expose it to hard vacuum and unfiltered sunlight, send it through whatever analogue Kerbin has to the van Allen belts, and then bake it in its canister during re-entry.

And it still swims away if you open the canister after splashdown. The only comfort we can take from this is that it does swim away rather than engulfing the kerbonauts in an act of well-deserved revenge.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's a colony of semi sentient tiny smiley....things!!

That are probably green.

6 hours ago, ARS said:

Theories?

New theory: Kerbal stem cells that were removed as a biological sample, grew into a blob, and gained a degree of intelligence. It would explain how it's "bored" when sitting at the KSC.

1 hour ago, pincushionman said:

It’s not entirely clear, but while the exposed kraken is seen entering a Science Jr., the “hazardous material” may in fact be Goo.

When your ship is on the launchpad or anywhere in the KSC: "The samples show no sign of change, but one of them appears to be judging you silently."

8 minutes ago, ArmoredLipid said:

New theory: Kerbal stem cells that were removed as a biological sample, grew into a blob, and gained a degree of intelligence. It would explain how it's "bored" when sitting at the KSC.

When your ship is on the launchpad or anywhere in the KSC: "The samples show no sign of change, but one of them appears to be judging you silently."

So.....there's Goo in Science Juniors too?

3 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

So.....there's Goo in Science Juniors too?

Nope, I'm talking about the (presumably irradiated) Kraken sample. The goo appears more self-interested - i.e. it "feels at home" high in space over the Mun, or is "bored" at the KSC. If there was Goo in the SC, Mystery Goo tanks wouldn't be needed, although the material in SC units might just be Mystery Goo in its original/biological sample incarnation. Mystery Goo as normally seen is Goo that achieved sentience or at least sapience and was thrown out in a dumpster in a biohazard containment unit, then scavenged by some junior researcher - hence "found lying by the side of the road".

Edited by ArmoredLipid

On 6/19/2018 at 5:01 PM, invision said:

its jebs love sauce

Well 'my' Jeb has a fondness for meatcake hash and ketchup. So I guess the sauce he loves is ketchup. 

The Goo is ketchup? It's a novel theory, I'll give you that much.

6 hours ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

I compared the goo containment unit to the stratus-v cylindrified monopropellant tank and did the math...

... it turns out that, according to my math, a unit of Mystery Goo would weigh only 0.0004 tons. That is some lightweight stuff, man.

The goo container looks very similar to the monoprop tank but is much smaller. Interesting..

8 hours ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

I compared the goo containment unit to the stratus-v cylindrified monopropellant tank and did the math...

... it turns out that, according to my math, a unit of Mystery Goo would weigh only 0.0004 tons. That is some lightweight stuff, man.

For better understanding, that's 0.4 kg.

For what it could be, after each RUD with crew involved, scientists come to the site and collect samples. Is it a coincidence that's the goo is green?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.