Elkano Challenge Submission (KSP 1.4.3)

EndIris

I'd like to submit an entry for the Elkano Challenge in KSP 1.4.3.

Took 30 days in-game, and about two weeks IRL. I was almost always sitting at the computer while I drove. I used MechJeb to hold speed and heading, but not anything else. I did have a MechJeb part on here, so I guess this will qualify as Modded even though I didn't mean it to be and all other parts and physics are stock.

I've never spent any time on the surface of Kerbin besides launching and landing craft, so this was definitely new for me. Travelling across the land wasn't actually as bad as I thought; I quicksaved ~250 times, while only loading a few dozen. 

The route I took stayed entirely between 45N and 45S, so I had to cross water 7 times, and mountains 3 times. I averaged 25-30 m/s on land, though got up to 70 on some slopes. I could get 25 m/s on water at full throttle, but could get 20 m/s for two thirds the fuel so I did that. I still had to refuel once, which further made me hate the mini-converter.

Anyway, pics.

0QOUXRv.png

The route. KSC is the cluster of two flags above and to the right of the crater, on the other side of Kerbin. I went over Booster Bay down the peninsula on the other side, then hopped across two islands to the next continent. Driving across that took ages, but there were mountain crossings I set up which helped the boredom. Then I drove down the peninsula to 42S, then came up it, which you can see in the front. Two more Ocean crossings got me to the Desert continent, and another returned me back to Kafrica and the KSC. Ignore the HyperEdit icon, I didn't use it.

O0c4WeX.png

The craft. Looking back, I probably could have replaced the mining section with fuel and removed the need to refuel, but that's fine. I spent 10 days mining in one location, which definitely slowed me down. Overall, it was a good craft, though, and I'm proud of it. Hopefully this is enough documentation, and will post about this in the main Elkano thread once approved.

Full Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/4Cbik8Z

Edited by EndIris
Album Link

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.