Upcoming KSP Patch adds new features for Steam users

UomoCapra

Patch 1.4.4 is on its way and with it various improvements and fixes such as language corrections, FX improvements, and more! As part of our commitment to continue supporting and improving upon KSP, 1.4.4 will add some cool and previously unavailable Steam functionalities that will enhance the KSP experience to users of this platform.

For starters, we’ll be launching the Official KSP Steam Workshop hub, along with its full in-game integration. Since the conception of the Making History Expansion, we knew that mission-sharing was crucial for its success. Now, with the integration of this platform into the game, we are making it easier for creators and players to share Missions and Crafts without having to mess around with copying folders from other websites and putting them in the KSP folder tree. This feature will allow you to upload your creations to the hub directly from the game, as well as to subscribe to and vote for your favorite missions. Additionally, it gives us the ability to feature missions from the community and drive visibility to these creations. With patch 1.4.4, it will be more straightforward than ever to enjoy all the content made by the players for the players!

This patch also implements Cloud Saves on Steam for both game saves and missions. Once 1.4.4 is released, players will be able to access their save files and mission files from any computer by logging into their respective accounts.

Last but not least for 1.4.4, we’ve improved and expanded the controller support for the game via the Steam Controller framework. With the intention of closing the gap between the mapping found in the consoles’ Cursor Mode and the one currently supported in the PC game, we’ve carefully provided configurations and full support for DualShock 3, DualShock 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One controllers, and added a new configuration for the Steam Controller and one for HOTAS-like joysticks. We also added a supplementary contextual controller set for EVA situations, in addition to the currently existing ones for the Menus, VAB/SPH commands, Flight Controls, Map, and Docking Mode. Click here to see the new controller layout.

We hope you enjoy these new features. Keep an eye out the patch’s release later this week, and stay tuned for more news and everything Kerbal via our official forums and our various social media channels.

Happy launchings!

1 hour ago, klesh said:

So we never got clarification about uploading Squad's copyrighted artwork when sharing missions.  I guess Take Two is okay with our distributing their copyrighted materials via Steam then?

Obviously, I'm not a Squad or Take Two lawyer, and maybe eventually they will respond to your thread...  However, I'm thinking we're pretty safe in the sense that the missions we upload would only be usable on Squad/T2's game anyway.

2 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

For starters, we’ll be launching the Official KSP Steam Workshop hub, along with its full in-game integration. Since the conception of the Making History Expansion, we knew that mission-sharing was crucial for its success. Now, with the integration of this platform into the game, we are making it easier for creators and players to share Missions and Crafts without having to mess around with copying folders from other websites and putting them in the KSP folder tree. This feature will allow you to upload your creations to the hub directly from the game, as well as to subscribe to and vote for your favorite missions. Additionally, it gives us the ability to feature missions from the community and drive visibility to these creations. With patch 1.4.4, it will be more straightforward than ever to enjoy all the content made by the players for the players!

So, do I read that red underlined part correctly then?   ...in addition to Missions (which may contain crafts), the new KSP Steam Workshop Hub will now host Craft files?  So will these be stock-only files, or are craft files with mods allowed?  

Any similar plans for the console players to share craft files?

Edited by XLjedi

Awesome, another upfront heads up on an upcoming patch release! Thank you!

I'm however sincerely hoping that the release of 1.4.4 is also used to stop further controversy overshadowing KSP at the moment, and we'll see both a farewell from RedShell trackware and  see the explicit opt-in for Unity Analytics back in the game. If not, I fear the recent outrage will not only continue, but get worse… And that won't do KSP any good...

Edited by LoSBoL

When we will see DX11 added or at least made standard? I know you can play OpenGL and DX 11 with the force flags, however when doing this the  parts icons go grey.

I know there are DX11-Fix files out there and I'm currently using these, however I think this should become part of the game and not a mod addon.

Edited by Radar

I really don't want mods being only uploaded to the Workshop and not file sharing sites. What if we don't have Steam? What if Steam is blocked, or we can't access it? I can say that simply clicking a button and having a mod installed automatically is really helpful, but if we don't have Steam, and if modders start abandoning Curse, KerbalX, Spacedock, and all the other sites, then we are screwed. 

Edited by The_Cat_In_Space
Updating

6 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

I really don't want mods being only uploaded to the Workshop and not file sharing sites. What if we don't have Steam? What if Steam is blocked, or we can't access it? I can say that simply clicking a button and having a mod installed automatically is really helpful, but if we don't have Steam, and if modders start abandoning Curse and KerbalX, then we are screwed. 

I mean we still have SpaceDock.

The main thing keeping me from playing 1.4.x is the bugginess. It seems to me that the devs either dont care or cant fix the bugs due to them having to do all this steam workshop and DLC stuff.

9 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

added a supplementary contextual controller set for EVA situations

This is a great addition. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, DeltaDizzy said:

The main thing keeping me from playing 1.4.x is the bugginess. It seems to me that the devs either dont care or cant fix the bugs due to them having to do all this steam workshop and DLC stuff.

I believe that is the reason behind this update.

11 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Patch 1.4.4 is on its way and with it various improvements and fixes such as language corrections, FX improvements, and more! As part of our commitment to continue supporting and improving upon KSP, 1.4.4 will add some cool and previously unavailable Steam functionalities that will enhance the KSP experience to users of this platform.

And you're planning on removing RedShell when exactly?

Still no mention of when proper support for 4K monitors will be added.  I am tired of squinting at my monitor trying to read text. And the display sizing settings don't go far enough to resolve the problem. And adjusting the Windows scaling settings just confuses it further.

Paul

Yayy for update; hopefully many bugs squashed. Pretty Meh about the Steam Workshop etc stuff myself.  Although I did buy KSP through Steam, but almost always run KSP non-Steam.

Also I don't have Making History yet, and won't be buying it until the core game and the expansion are reasonably bug-free. See it as an incentive to concentrate on quality, not fluff-features. Something that *would* actually have been really useful would be a built-in mod-manager, which allows enabling and disabling mods based on the save-game. (*)

As for Redshell, it looks like a lot of developers are ditching Redshell based on gamer feedback.  No mention in the article of Squad/TakeTwo joining that sentiment though, despite Kerbal Space Program being mentioned right at the start... again, no money from me until things like that are either removed, or fully disclosed and optional (ie, can be turned off via an approved and simple mechanism).

(*) The idea here is that each savegame would have a list of *required* mods and *desired* mods. When loading the savegame, the corresponding mods are loaded, if they are available. If any *required* mods are missing, the load fails.  Any other available mods are *not loaded* unless the player explicitly adds them to the savegame, at which point they either become *required* or *desired* as the case may be.

Anyway, keep up the (mostly) good work! Looking forward to the update..

2 hours ago, Paulyuk6 said:

Still no mention of when proper support for 4K monitors will be added.  I am tired of squinting at my monitor trying to read text. And the display sizing settings don't go far enough to resolve the problem. And adjusting the Windows scaling settings just confuses it further.

Paul

As a temporary workaround you can just change your resolution from 4K to FullHD (1920x1080) when you play KSP, its just a few clicks to do that. (Probably can make a profile for it and use the NVIDIA or ATI icon in the taskbar for it)

They have been working on 4K support and eliviated somewhat on it the Weekly;  

Don't know if they finished work on it for 1.4.4 though.

2 hours ago, Dafni said:

Are any of the seasoned players here actually playing their steam install directly?

I'd wager the Workshop support isn't for seasoned players, but casuals who would rather not dig through folders to play missions.