Distrusting mods

0something0

10 minutes ago, Kesa said:

Does your brother know Minecraft and KSP are Indie games?

Do you know they aren't?

On topic, the source code is available for every KSP mod posted on the forums. If you're really afraid, download the source code from GitHub and compile it yourself, no virus unless you put one yourself.

Edited by Gaarst

9 hours ago, eddiew said:

Isn't it Firefox that still tries to infect you with a copy of Mcafee? :/   *edit* It isn't! Stop telling me, I got the message :P

Yeah, alright.
But I take this as an opportunity... folks, pay attention where exactly you pick up your software. Recompiling free software with some barbs and/or bundling it with malware is a business model. My GF once got some unwanted functionality when she DL'ed stuff from project-name.com (rather than .org). The website looked good and everything, I can't blame her, really.

The larger projects (like e.g. Firefox) have resources to fight these copycats, but not everyone does.

35 minutes ago, Gaarst said:

Do you know they aren't?

Well, they started as such, so it should not be too hard to make someone that paranoid believe they still are dangerous. Especially considering this is what you get when you google "indie games" :

http://prntscr.com/jxau2g

Edited by Kesa

3 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

SpaceDock or Github, depending on where the mod author hosts it.

10 hours ago, steve_v said:

Spacedock, after checking out the relevant release thread here.

I was talking to OP

11 hours ago, steve_v said:

Doesn't everybody run an adblocker? Why would you not run an adblocker?

Introduction of ad-revenue by Youtube + content-creator + viewers using ad-block = person wondering why he isn't making a living anymore.

But im sure you already knew that :wink:.

5 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Introduction of ad-revenue by Youtube + content-creator + viewers using ad-block = person wondering why he isn't making a living anymore.

But im sure you already knew that :wink:.

This is why I support small content-creators by making direct donations with Patreon and Streamable. The large ones can take advantage of other revenue streams like merchandising or sponsorship.

As to supporting the platform they use: They will always be evolving ways of trying to make money, and there will always be new platforms competing with them. May the least-annoying one win.

I don't feel guilty at all for keeping myself safe.

6 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Too bad. If your business model isn't profitable that's not your customer's fault. Find a new revenue stream or live with what you make. Don't blame me for sidestepping your easily-sidestepped annoyance machine.

(yes I have ads on my YouTube channel and no that doesn't make me a hypocrite)

7 hours ago, kapteenipirk said:

Tough bikkies. Go get a real job.
Ads are obnoxious, invasive, and often vectors for driveby malware or phishing attacks. I'm not putting up with any of that.
I have and will continue to donate to the "content creators" who make my life less annoying... By which I mean the creators of adblock software.

Edited by steve_v

On 6/20/2018 at 12:46 PM, eddiew said:

Might have been Acrobat... I'm not sure. Something fairly legit and business-class I had to install recently at work tried to give me Mcaffee and Yahoo toolbar :/ 

If we're lucky, GDPR has made it so they're not allowed to tick the box by default on the installer any more :P 

I think it was the Java updater which did that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.