KSP Challenge: Impact the Mun!

Darth Badie

jtYIrNztaFDdvF9glD6vHTh3IBmfdyrDr-9bwt2t

Hello everyone,

We are back and ready to have new and fun challenges. This week we have another theme for you: “Impact the Mun! "

Challenge:
Impact the surface of the Mun in less than 20 minutes. Mods are allowed, but avoid those ones that will  make it too easy.

Rewards:
We will have a official badge for this challenge!

Rules:

• No debug menu

• Mods  allowed

• No MechJeb or cheat parts

We want you to have fun and share it with the whole community! Share your screenshots, videos or images.  

9 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I assume this can be uncrewed? Although I doubt any kerbals on board would feel any pain because they’d black out from the gees soon after launch...

Kerbals  don't need to suffer this time, but it's up to you :P 

9 hours ago, Darth Badie said:

Impact the surface of the Mun in less than 20 minutes

i assume this means 20 minutes in game time not real life time

ill have a go hope i dont forget to upload this time

Edited by guesswho2778

10 hours ago, guesswho2778 said:

i assume this means 20 minutes in game time not real life time

ill have a go hope i dont forget to upload this time

It would have to be real time... I don't think it's possible in game time.

There's a video on YouTube of Scott Manley landing on the Mun and coming back in something like 5 minutes... more or less... hehehe

It's insane, and proves it can be done.

40 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

It would have to be real time... I don't think it's possible in game time

Hmm. You'd need to average 10000 m/s in game to impact the mun (if I calculated correctly) on 20 minutes in game time. That's not impossible...... Difficult yes impossible not really. 

Edited by qzgy

39 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

There's a video on YouTube of Scott Manley landing on the Mun and coming back in something like 5 minutes... more or less... hehehe

He also did one of out and back in just over an hour of game time (although it required something like 6,000 parts), so 20 minutes one-way, without any requirement to brake at the end, should be possible. And since we don't have to bring a kerbal along, it might even be possible with a civilized part count.

This is similar to Scott Manley's "Shoot the Mun" thing he did with a rail driver. He had to turn of the heat to do it because the capsule (bullet) was going to 10,000 m/s + pretty much instantly after he fired the magnets up! 

The ridiculously large craft: 

3H0SwEG.png

Shedding stages: 

jBout3o.png
WVomgt9.png

G1agWEG.png

Final stage: 
4iJ3Qeb.png 

Impact plotted: 
9Txfawq.png 

And impact, juuuust under the wire. 
tJrKSmC.png

Flight time: 19 minutes, 56 seconds. I'm sure someone will beat it, but at least I was the first. :D

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Flight time: 19 minutes, 56 seconds. I'm sure someone will beat it, but at least I was the first. :D

Well done! I got to 28 minutes before giving up. It was harder than I thought. My ship was all Vectors, asparagused. I estimated I'd need to get to 10km/s as quickly as possible to do it, and threw in the towel at 8km/s, when my redesign ended up going SLOWER.

I made a tiny, simple, and I hope surprising change to my craft and got this.

soclose.jpg

I'll reveal the change when I achieve the goal.

EDIT: I realized that that was from the current time, which was 3 minutes into the flight when all the fuel was gone. So I still need some work.

That work has crashed me into Mun at the tantalizing time of 20:20. More tweaking.

EDIT: GOT IT! 19:58 so not even better than @Vanamonde, but hey. I'll post when I can.

Edited by 5thHorseman

13 hours ago, Just Jim said:

I just did it in in-game time. It's possible

Okay here it is, not just 20 minutes from launch, but 20 minutes from game start!

https://imgur.com/gallery/lTFyz4n

And the 2 important images, before launch and after impact:

Spoiler

RNTN04q.jpg

b7YIwkD.jpg

EDIT: Bah. And I realized just now that this is a lie. A LIE I SAY. I apparently sat on the launch pad for about 20 seconds before launching. GRRRRR.

EDIT 2: I relaunched with a 35 degree tilt instead of a 40 degree tilt on launch, and hit the mun in 19:53! However, it was still 20:01 from game start so meh, I'm not going to continue trying as I launched the MOMENT physics loaded in.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Much bigger rocket. 

slGMnK9.png
1Cf88eR.png
VwhDY9T.png

Intercept set. 

SOLGjoP.png

And new personal best. :D

eTKhQP1.png

A whole 67 seconds faster. :huh:

It's really odd how adding two entire ginormous stages only cut the flight time by about 2 minutes. The trick seems to be not how hard you accelerate but how long you accelerate: the longer you burn, the faster you'll get there. Anyway, I don't think I can do better than this, unless somebody comes up with a whole different approach. 

40 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

the longer you burn, the faster you'll get there. Anyway, I don't think I can do better than this, unless somebody comes up with a whole different approach. 

¿Why not continue the 'burn longer' approach?  Badie just said "impact the moon"; she didn't specify what to hit it with. 

Couldn't one have a final stage of ant-plus-fuel-tank with no probe core to get another 3000 m/s? 
I'll find out this weekend if no-one else tries

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.