United Airlines discussion

Hummingbird Aerospace

So this summer break I went on a trip to C@N@D@ with United and on the way here I encountered a whole lot of crud like this:

• Being delayed by United Airlines
  • Losing Greencards and getting them back at RIGHT BEFORE the late flight, which wouldn’t be able to go with my connection.
  • Staying in a hotel with no working water 
  • Running out of Dill Pickle chips (yes, I actually like those)
  • Realising I have to be stuck in the same clothes for three days straight since the trip took two days and United delayed my bags

So what are you encounters with United Airlines? Good (unlikely)? Bad (likely)? Tell me your opinions on United.

Edited by Hummingbird Aerospace

I've flow United a bit, and it's been alright. Most of the problems I've had are the fault of the airport, not the airline (like holding us at the gate until our pilots reach their maximum hours and have to cancel the flight, or Montreal Airport's apparent ban on staff happiness or manners).

My only real problem with them is how late they always are. Almost every time I have flown on United it has been late. I guess stuff like when the doctor was dragged off the plane and smashed guitars is due to problems with single staff and no the airline. I did get tic tacs in my "freshen up" kit though :cool:.

Interestingly enough, the airline rankings for 2018 don't list any US domestic carriers. Most of the top are in countries with newfound wealth (oil) and new airline startups... new airline, new terminals, new aircraft, new new new... so naturally they'll get ranked top.

For domestic flights, only because of the places I travel, I fly Southwest. They've had one of the top domestic safety and performance records, for the most part. For 2018, according to 'The Points Guy', Southwest appears to sit at #2.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-and-worst-airlines-2018/

On 6/22/2018 at 4:45 AM, LordFerret said:

the airline rankings for 2018 don't list any US domestic carriers.

Which ? Could you link it ?

______

I'm in an entirely different hemisphere from the US, so I can't comment on anything from there.

But all the things I would seek from a short-haul flight would be :

- Decent seats (some legroom if well more than 2 hrs)

- On-time pushback, even if it takes ages to take-off.

If you fly LCCs here the second is their bare standard. Every minute not spent flying is wasted money for them.

And so far we're having them.

The last time I flew United was my last time flying United. Ever. Was heading to my mom’s funeral, and they cancelled our 767 from Denver to NYC, which resulted in us spending 9 hours in the airport. They screwed up luggage, and gave us a loaner car seat that literally had vomit on it. Every single United employee we talked to was rude except our pilot (or second flight was delayed, so I chatted with him for a while).

After complaints, they mailed me 4 RT travel vouchers—which I threw in the trash, because I won’t even fly them for free. If a United rep was to hand me 4 first class tickets anywhere on Earth, I’d rather stay home than fly them. I’d say the same if they offered to pay for the entire vacation anywhere on Earth, I hate them that much. I hope they go bankrupt.

Edited by tater

Flew with them just a single time, from TNCM to KEWR. It was about 3 years ago now, and nothing was really particular on this flight (excepted the fact that the 737-724 was recently refitted with split scimitar) As usual, Newark was a real mess but it was not really the fault of the company (and still less annoying to transit by than KJFK)

Now, from my personal aircraft-addicted point-of-view, I simply started to hate United the day they took over Continental and decided to repaint their aircraft with COA's livery. I really liked the old Continental and United liveries, but I hate the mix of both.

I don't know if I've ever flown United. If I can, I always fly Southwest and board late in the B Group or early in C, even if I have an A boarding pass. For those who don't know, you don't get a seat when you get your ticket, you get your seat when you get on the plane in the order that you register (24 hours before takeoff). People who wait on their computers to snatch up their reservations are in Group A, normals are in Groups B and C, and if you remember an hour before liftoff you're in Group D. Group A gets the best seats. Group B gets some other good seats at the start, and then when those are gone they get to (which is most important to me) pick who they sit next to. Late Group C and all of Group D get stuck with the rest.

I'd rather sit between two neatly dressed people with earbuds than have an aisle seat in an exit row next to John Candy from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Anyway, when I can't fly Southwest I fly... I don't know. Whoever has the cheapest ticket because every airline that's not Southwest is the same to me.

18 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

an aisle seat in an exit row next to John Candy from Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

I'd rather sit next to John Candy, those crazy guys are a riot... plus, hammered, they usually spring for the booze. ;)

All kidding aside, Southwest is an excellent airline. They're my 1st choice domestic if at all possible.

11 hours ago, YNM said:

How do you know it that US airlines are "nowhere at the top" from that, apart that "it says so" ?

For global carriers, I'll put some trust of judgement in the likes of Business Insider... more-so than any non-business centric information site, like say (name out of a hat) Gizmodo.
http://www.businessinsider.com/best-airlines-in-the-world-2018-ranked-2018-6

As for The Points Guy evaluation, if you read the article it describes how they came up with the list; Candidates and Criteria
Same with Business Insider and other sources.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had no really major problems with United Airlines, my only complaints are when United bought out Continental Airlines, at first United used Cleveland Hopkins as a hub, but later United nearly abandoned their hub at Cleveland Hopkins in favor of O'Hare, Newark and to a certain extent Washington Dulles thus leaving Cleveland Hopkins a ghost town, My second complaint is that United serves Seagram's Ginger Ale on their flights, in my opinion Seagram's tastes kind of weak at high altitudes, where as Canada Dry tastes stronger at high altitudes, that and I often say that seagram's looks more like Sprite or 7 up whereas Canada dry looks more like Champagne. My last one really is not directed at United but rather all airlines in the States, it used to be that airlines used to offer fuller Inflight chow on flights longer than 1 1/2 Hours now today it has been reduced to snack mixes or even worse buy on board, I swear having overpriced airfare is already a problem. Now actually charging your passengers onboard that is over the line.   

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

The most ironic part is they spread posters around IAH saying "Always on time. So predictable". Not kidding, they literally praise United for being on-time but delays are the only thing they are famous for.

Any professional aviation and/or frequent traveler forums I knew are often with a topic of bad-United-experience at the top.

I forgot on which forum it was, but one of the users made this personal edit following an awful customer experience he had on the ground, perfectly suited to the situation of many:

XPky46A.jpg

(Hope it will not fall under 2.2c)

Edited by XB-70A

On 8/24/2018 at 6:35 PM, XB-70A said:

Any professional aviation and/or frequent traveler forums I knew are often with a topic of bad-United-experience at the top.

I forgot on which forum it was, but one of the users made this personal edit following an awful customer experience he had on the ground, perfectly suited to the situation of many:

XPky46A.jpg

(Hope it will not fall under 2.2c)

10/10 realism

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.