[1.12.x] Bob's Panic Box

linuxgurugamer

Launch Day!  Jebediah, Bill and Bob were attempting to get to orbit again, in a new rocket.

The countdown

Ignition
Liftoff.....

Jebediah, Bill and Bob glanced at each other as the engines roared.  The pressure mounted as the rocket lifted off the pad.
"Tower cleared", came the call from Mission Control.  The rocket rotated a bit.
"Roll program complete".
"All systems go"
The engines continued to fire.  All of a sudden, an alarm started sounding.  
Jebediah ignored it, kept looking out the window.  Bill wasn't much better, but Bob was concerned enough to speak up.
"Jebediah, that alarm is going off, don't you think you should abort?"
Jebediah replied "No, those alarms always go off"
"But, the last time THAT alarm went off, the rocket exploded"
Jeb said "That was last time, this time......."
That was as far as he got, because:

KAAABOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!

as the rocket exploded!

Later, in the revival chamber, as they were being reconstituted (again), Bob decided that he wasn't going to do that again.  Next time, he decided, he wasn't going to leave it in Jebediah's hands.

A few weeks later, the next launch.  Same rocket; they were assured by the engineers and technicians  that they had fixed the problem.  As usual, the two daredevils, Jebediah & Bill believed them without question, but Bob wasn't so sure and insisted that they install his new invention without telling .  He knew that Jebediah would throw a fit if he knew about it.

3, 2, 1, Ignition and Liftoff again

Things went fine for the first few minutes, and then another, different alarm started to sound.  This time,  however, as soon as it sounded, the abort system was automatically triggered.  The capsule was blasted free of the exploding rocket by the LES (Launch Escape System).  A few seconds after it burned out, the LES was jettisoned, and then the parachutes deployed.  This time, they were gently lowered to the ground, no need for the revival chamber this time.  Jebediah was dumbfounded, until....

Bob turned to Jeb, smiled and said "That was my new invention, Bob's Panic Box'.  We can now live better lives not having to be reconstituted every time something goes wrong."

------------------------------------

This mod gives you a reason to put on an escape tower;  while stock has a single escape tower, there is wonderful mod called Launch Escape System which adds 4 more towers, for different size vessels

What does it do?  The mod can detect the following events:

• Explosions
  • Negative vertical velocity
  • High G
  • Excessive AoA (angle of attack)
  • When an event is detected, the abort sequence is triggered (action group).

After an abort, a secondary action group sequence can be triggered

There is a timeout, meaning that the mod will only be active at the beginning of a flight, for the specified amount of time.  When the timeout is exceeded, an action group can be triggered (for example, to jettison the escape tower).

Usage

• Settings page
  1. This is where you can set default options. The page has three columns
  2. First column is the initial setting for the buildings and if you go directly to the launchpad/runway.
  3. Second column are the initial settings which are set, currently the settings are shared between all the environments.
  4. Third column is how to access the mod.
Spoiler

wVen1U4.png

• Toolbar Button

MuxtQCi.png

• Editor/Flight Configuration Window
Spoiler

6PMZ4ri.png

Kottabos Review

Usage

You can configure it to use either a toolbar button, a button on the PAW (Part Action Window), or both.    Clicking them will bring up the Editor/Flight Configuration Window

Most of the options are self explanatory

• Arm Explosion Detection will detect any explosions on the vessel, NOT on any parts which were jettisoned.
  • Neg-Vel-Limit will detected if the vessel is going down at that speed
  • High-G-Limit will trigger if the G forces exceed the specified number
  • Max AoA will trigger if the Angle of Attack exceeds the specified value, useful to detect flips, etc.
  • Disable after flight time will disable the mod after the specified amount of time.  You can specify the time either in the text box or by a slider
  • Trigger action after timeout will activate the specified action group after the mod is disabled due to timing out
  • Trigger action after abort will activate the specified action group after an abort.  (see the next line)
  • The post-abort delay is the amount of time to wait after an abort before doing the Trigger action after abort
  • The disable BPB after altitude, will disable the mod after the specified altitude is reached 

When in flight, and additional button is shown, depending on whether an abort has been triggered or not

The  Apply button is shown when things are normal  It will only be active if there are changes to be saved.

If an abort has been triggered, the Apply button is replaced with either Acknowledge , which acknowledges an abort is in progress, or Disable Abort, to disable the abort sequence.  Disable Abort is shown after an abort is acknowledged

Additional Functionality

• Toolbar button(s) flashes when abort is active on active vessel
    • Click the button to acknowledge the abort, button will stay red
    • Click a second time to cancel the post-abort sequence, button will go back to normal
  • Abort sequence now disables if no control source

Dependencies

Recommended

Availability

Now available in CKAN

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

New beta, 0.0.0.2

• In settings page, removed message: allowChangeInFlight was not yet implemented
  • Added scene name to window
  • Added code to detect if mission time is too great when first switching to a vessel
  • Flipped Postabort lines in dialog, for consistency
  • Added Apply button when in flight
  • Implemented changing values in flight
  • Added max G for timeout action
  • Updated text for timeout in settings and in dialog window

New beta, 0.0.0.3

• Added some tooltips to the settings window
  • Added check for PAW button to be enabled or disabled according to the options
  • Updated text for the PAW button option

This is liable to be the final beta, unless I get some feedback

As you asked for feedback, first of all great Idea. Helps a lot.

Secondly, it seams like the main activation option does not work in flight.

So you can't enable Bobs Box in flight if you disabled it by using the first option in editor and vice versa.

The toggles for the separate options work in flight so to deactivate it you have to disable every option.

Also, well maybe that's just me, but for those first tests I don't want to set the timeout too low and then I tend to forget that the Panic Box is still active when I move my rocket in orbit.

So maybe you could add an option to trigger the timeout on exiting the atmosphere? That would be awesome.

So I tested a bit more today and the Active flag and the disableAtAltitude setting worked in my tests.

On the other hand because of:

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

During the launch of an unmanned vessel I got this:

YorpQbb.png

But launch continued, there was nothing the Abort could trigger though ...

I tested this specifically:

On 6/24/2018 at 11:24 PM, linuxgurugamer said:
  • Fixed  explosions being caught from the non-active ship

And in my tests it did work... kinda? But I don't think quite as intended.

In my first test I ditched a 3-part drop-tank from a plane and as it hit the ground the abort triggered on the plane because of the explosion.

Then I parked two different vessels next to the runway and blew up a part of one of them using the TAC SelfDestruction device with a timer while I switched to the other.

Again the abort was triggered but on the inactive (the exploding) vessel while I still got the usual message.

So my conclusions are:

1. the Panic Box activates on the exploding vessel, but it does not check if the exploding part is still attached and it also activates on an inactive vessel for that vessel (which I think might be useful).

2. you get an identical message no matter if the vessel on which it actives is actually your active vessel or not.

Edited by Waldwolf

4 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

So I tested a bit more today and the Active flag and the disableAtAltitude setting worked in my tests.

On the other hand because of:

I tested this specifically:

And in my tests it did work... kinda? But I don't think quite as intended.

In my first test I ditched a 3-part drop-tank from a plane and as it hit the ground the abort triggered on the plane because of the explosion.

Then I parked two different vessels next to the runway and blew up a part of one of them using the TAC SelfDestruction device with a timer while I switched to the other.

Again the abort was triggered but on the inactive (the exploding) vessel while I still got the usual message.

So my conclusions are:

1. the Panic Box activates on the exploding vessel, but it does not check if the exploding part is still attached and it also activates on an inactive vessel for that vessel (which I think might be useful).

2. you get an identical message no matter if the vessel on which it actives is actually your active vessel or not.

Then something isn't working right.  Can you provide me with the craft file for the plane?

When  you dropped the tank, which was the active vessel, the tanks or the plane?

I'll have to test the second case, wasn't something I considered

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I did use a Sock Aeris 4A and put a "Wrapper" Droptank underneath but I use a quite mod-heavy game so I don't know if you want to use that.

So I made a pure vanilla installation with only the Panic Box and the AtmosphereAutopilot (for consistent flights) with dependencies installed and made a version of the plane with only stock parts and reproduced the problem.

(On a side note: on CKAN Bobs Panic Box does not have it's dependencies properly set up so it does not work out of the box.)

I drop the tanks using actiongroup 1 and the plane stays the active vessel.

Here are the craft files:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/abu6hsvblelf6h2/AAAgmjSAoA693x79BRV7oUxfa?dl=0

20 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

During the launch of an unmanned vessel I got this:

YorpQbb.png

But launch continued, there was nothing the Abort could trigger though ...

I need both the log file AND the vessel which this happened on.  I'm pretty sure you are using the latest, but I need to see these files to know what's going on

14 hours ago, Waldwolf said:

Ok.  This is why I always need log files.  These errors you are getting really sound like issues I had and dealt with during the development.  Please get me a log file, and the save files if you can.

This was an older bug.  I just set up a scenario like this, and it never happened in 10 tests

That being said, I have found a bug on revert, where it detects an explosion  where there is no explosion.  And there is another significant internal change I need to do to handle multiple vessels in physics range.

On 6/21/2018 at 3:13 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Will this support Bluedog's Apollo LES which uses a modified version of the PEBKAC LES module? And the stock-type Mercury LES?

Can you point me to which mod contains that?  

Also, which "stock-type" Mercury LES?

asking because an issue came up with TACSelfDestruct, and I'm having to put in some parts for it to ignore when initally triggering.

I'm also curious to see what the modified version of PEBKAC is in Bluedog

Thanks

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  This is why I always need log files.  These errors you are getting really sound like issues I had and dealt with during the development.  Please get me a log file, and the save files if you can.

This was an older bug.  I just set up a scenario like this, and it never happened in 10 tests

I'll help as best as I can.

So I added TACSelfDestruct via CKAN to the previous vanilla test installation and updated the PanicBox manually to the newest version.

Then I recreated the scenario and the same happened.

Here are the logs and the save: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d0q8cp5jjn3fv56/AAALhZXnbmKX1OlVRHRc2FOwa?dl=0

The vessels in the test where a stock "Crater Crawler" and a stock "Aeris 4A" with the TACSelfDestruct added to the wing.

After the Aeris exploded while the Crawler was active and the abort on the Aeris triggered, I waited till the explosions were over and then threw a sphere (ObjectThrower) into the Crawler and the abort on the Crawler triggered.

Please tell me if there's anything else I can help with.

P.s.:

As I wrote this I had an idea to remove the mod-factor of the TACSelfDestruct. So I removed the mod, reopened the game and parked a stock "Crater Crawler" and a stock "Bug-E Buggy" next to the runway with abort and PanicBox set up.

I switched between the vessels and made sure the box was active on both and then threw a sphere (ObjectThrower again) at the Buggy while the Crawler was active and the Buggy's abort triggered. After the explosions settled I threw at the Crawler and its abort triggered as well.

So this does not seem to be a mod problem. Logs of this test are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/46npci47lj5ve91/AADwubK-EwsIaF6kqNbBpRHOa?dl=0

Edit:

Oh, but on the positive side I just did the test with the droptanks again with the new version and that problem did not occur in the vanilla or the modded game anymore.

Edit2:

Sorry that it seems like I'm the one having all the errors but I have another one.

The newest version of BobsPanicBox seems to have a mod conflict with "Stockalike Station Parts Redux" or, to be more precise it's model for the stock docking port.

When I have both installed the PanicBox detects an explosion from the docking port at launch.

I've tested it with the modified vanilla and the PanicBox version 0.0.1 where the problem does not occur, logs here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rmaha7hn4dat9xc/AAASNvJYmUtFEHqyDjko9WpAa?dl=0

and with the PanicBox version 0.0.1.1 where the problem occurred, logs here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xuquz29zjz78r2i/AAAAHlVDnCDi7xWlioP-52iXa?dl=0

In the version 0.0.1.1 link is also the save and a craft file I used with both versions. It happens when there is a dockingport2 with the replaced model of the SSPR mod anywhere on the craft.

Edited by Waldwolf
Problem with Stockalike Station Parts Redux

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.