Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 and Making History 1.3 launching today!

UomoCapra

@UomoCapra do you still want bug reports and what tracker should we use? Also is there a better explanation of the controller changes? It still has the 'bug' that all joysticks use the same buttons. 

and congrats on the update.

Edited by Ericwi

On 6/21/2018 at 1:14 PM, Darth C3P0 said:

Now we need a mod section on the Steam workshop

No, we don't.  KSP is not Steam exclusive.  Having mod Workshop would be a big [snip]to people buying it outside of Steam.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, NJC2 said:

No, we don't.  KSP is not Steam exclusive.  Having mod Workshop would be a big [snip] to people buying it outside of Steam.

Well yeah, but it would be a little bit more convenient. Maybe have some sort of non-steam workshop too, have it so you can link your non-steam game to steam?

26 minutes ago, Darth C3P0 said:

Well yeah, but it would be a little bit more convenient. Maybe have some sort of non-steam workshop too, have it so you can link your non-steam game to steam?

Non-steam workshop? You mean CKAN/SpaceDock/Curse? ;)

4 hours ago, pquade said:

* Updated map nodes to be visually different when behind a celestial body.

Pretty much hating the way new luminance levels for orbital indicators on the opposite side of the planet now.

Especially hate how hard it is to see data readouts.  

https://i.imgur.com/NFgl09R.png
Yes, it's this bad even in 100% stock.

Is there a way for players to control this?

2 hours ago, RoboRay said:

* Updated map nodes to be visually different when behind a celestial body.

Can we get a setting to turn this off?  Dimming out the parameters text to make it hard to read is not a desirable feature to me.

Looking into this one - if theres a bug report number for it I can use that to track/keep it up to date

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Please add 1.4.4 to the bugtracker pulldown.  Found a couple doozies.

1.4.4 is up on the bug tracker now, and I logged the one about freezing when exiting the settings menu.

Steam workshop mods would mean more work for modders and no Steam workshop mods from those modders who don't have Steam.

It'll be worse than CKAN. At best you'll need both and at worst you'll also need to load some mods manually.

6 hours ago, garwel said:

Fantastic! I don't think mods will have to be rebuilt for 1.4.4?

A very few perhaps. Most of them, nops. In a way or another, backup your installment. Just in case. :)

5 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

What is Red Shell?

(resisting the urge to quote "Holden" from Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back)

RedShell is an analytics tool that sends banal info on the fact the someone ran KSP on a system with some basic specs.  Because it didn't have an opt-in or out, and used a unique identifier (it wasn't sending usernames or anything, just a coded ID), it's essentially in breach of the new EU privacy rules that spawned all those social media "we're updating our privacy rules" emails a month ago.  RedShell is in a bunch of games, and there's been a general outcry against it in the communities for various games.  Seeing RedShell aren't fixing their stuff to be compliant, then Squad/T2 kinda had to remove it.  Or would have been forced to if anyone made complaints.  Not sure how the enforcement would be with something like that, but it's the sane thing to do to remove it.

Compared to what Microsoft/Facebook/Google/Twitter etc are collecting on us, it's of trivial interest.  But it's another point of "yay, less spyware".  :D

1 hour ago, NJC2 said:

No, we don't.  KSP is not Steam exclusive.  Having mod Workshop would be a big FU to people buying it outside of Steam.

No it wouldn't.  It would simply be taking advantage of the benefits of Stream.

Excellent news

There were 4K/High-DPI adjustments for the UI that were mentioned earlier, did those also make it in there somewhere (like sidebar/part-pic scaling for the VAB/SPH etc)?

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Steam workshop mods would mean more work for modders and no Steam workshop mods from those modders who don't have Steam.

Not necessarily. A very simple mechanism based on Jenkins or some other CI tool can automate the process. If a chain of thrust is stablished, one single worker can do the job of gathering information directly from the mod's code repository or page, saving the developer from the burden.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

It'll be worse than CKAN. At best you'll need both and at worst you'll also need to load some mods manually.

I don't use CKAN. Gave it a try, but by an incredible lack of luck on the same day some mods were automatically updated and one of them broke everything (and I spend 2 days figuring out the problem). So I concluded that going manual is the better alternative - I know what I'm doing, I know what caused the break when it happens.

For a Mod Workshop correctly work on Steam, that Chain of Thrust I mentioned must be stablished. Someone, somehow, must guarantee minimal functionality from the Mod before upstreaming it to the Steam. Things cannot break when it come from Steam, or the backslash will be severe.

Edited by Lisias
typo - and bad grammar… :'(

36 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Modern video game development would disagree. ;)

Yea, things can and do regularly break, even those that came from Steam, and especially Steam Workshop. Just take a look at any Skyrim mod workshop page, almost every one of them has a list of incompatible mods and/or known bugs. There is no backlash to this.

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

Just take a look at any Skyrim mod workshop page, almost every one of them has a list of incompatible mods and/or known bugs. There is no backlash to this.

I won't speak for @Lisias but I suspect the concern is that there will be backlash in the KSP community if KSP mods don't work well in the KSP Steam Workshop. Not that any other random game's mods do or don't work in that random game's Steam Workshop.

And knowing how much this community likes backlash about mod distribution methods, I agree.

16 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

And knowing how much this community likes backlash about mod distribution methods, I agree.

No distribution method is perfect. If things broke because of the Workshop, well, there are plenty more ways to skin a cat install a mod. Don't see how it can cause a backlash.

And if I remember correctly, that particular backlash came from modders, because one particular mod distribution platform was distributing their mods without their permission. If the Workshop is opt-in, it shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by sh1pman

2 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

YES WORKSHOP SUPPORT!!!!!

Mods next plz.

After the drama and growing pains of CKAN and its attempts to automate mod installation I doubt modders will support steam workshop. They simply won't upload to it and they'll take thier ball and go home if you dare do it for them so its a good thing we will never get mods through steam workshop.

6 hours ago, klesh said:

Indeed.   For what it's worth, deep in the comments section of Scott Manley's video showcasing the MH engines, he confirms that the stats are as such for gameplay reasons.   He's not a dev, to be sure, but I'm sure he is in the know when it comes to those values.  It's good enough for me.

4ddHBSJ.png

Reveal hidden contents

That is unacceptable because these have nothing to do with the game balance. From a gameplay standpoint it doesn't matter which engine model goes to which stats, and I'm sure Scott didn't realize just how switched they were when he said that. The idea that anyone can defend this simple mistake is exactly what's wrong with this community. This isn't a balance problem, it's a very basic art problem, and a very important authenticity problem.

10 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

That is unacceptable because these have nothing to do with the game balance. From a gameplay standpoint it doesn't matter which engine model goes to which stats

But it would matter if the stats led people to put the CSM engine on the third stage and the third stage engine on the CSM.

I'm sure Scott didn't realize just how switched they were when he said that.

Got a quote from him to that effect?

The idea that anyone can defend this simple mistake is exactly what's wrong with this community.

Come now, let's not sacrifice our ability to disagree calmly over something like this.

If you find a bug and want it fixed report it on the bug tracker. poodleing about it wont get it fixed! 

Edited by Redneck
i love the censorship "poodleing" lmao