Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 and Making History 1.3 launching today!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

When did you check?

Those posts are wrong. I personally bought M&B:WB from Amazon on August 25, 2013 (just checked my order history to make sure) and played it standalone without issues.

Not positive, but I think it was back around 2012, might have been before. I'll go check email, because I wrote to TaleWorlds inquiring about it.

Did your game require Steam for activation? Did you have Steam already when you installed the game? So far, everything I'm seeing online indicates Steam is require to activate the game... and it's listed as 'Steam Platform'.

36 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

Did your game require Steam for activation?

No.

Did you have Steam already when you installed the game?

I don't remember whether Steam was installed was on that PC at the time. But there was no interaction with Steam, just a download link and activation key on my Amazon account.

So far, everything I'm seeing online indicates Steam is require to activate the game... and it's listed as 'Steam Platform'.

Here's an exchange from the Q&A on Amazon:

zqdxXp2.png

I have mixed feelings about the 'steam features'.

It's not something i will use personally, i bought from the KSP store in 2013 and have no intention of changing.  I haven't (yet) uploaded or downloaded craft or missions and doubt i will do it much anyway. 

That said, there are many player who do, and will use it, and i supose it makes sense for Squad to use those Steam facilities that already exist.  It may make life easier for current Steam users, and maybe help introduce and encourage new players that see it exposed there.

I don't see it as 'Not giving the facility to non Steam users', but more as 'Giving Steam users access to existing Steam features that they may well use for other games anyway'.

I can't see it being a sensible move to make KSP only available on Steam, and don't think it is on the cards either.  Why risk losing access to new customers that don't/won't use Steam when the infrastructure already exists anyway?

As a modder the advantage of steam workshop for me is that I can share craft files that rely on mods without having to point users to an external site to download those required mods.
I imagine there are users who are happy to download from workshop but do not trust 3rd party sites.

It would be great if I could post Universal Storage craft to workshop and have Universal Storage listed as a required mod (with a link to the page included,, as you see with Cities Skylines).
An alternative would be the ability to include craft files in a mod, so that parts mods can include example craft without having to copy files to more than one location.

If we did get workshop support we would continue to host mods at SpaceDock and a backup location.  It's possible that Curse has an exclusive deal to be the only officially supported mod site, in which case we won't see workshop support (Craft and missions are not mods so don't count).

10 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I honestly don't understand where this sudden fear of KSP only being on Steam is coming from.  There is literally zero evidence for it.

That has NEVER stopped anyone's fears from running rampant any time Squad does or does not do something that someone thinks they shouldn't or should do, now has it?

On 6/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, DomiKamu said:

What Squad developers are doing exactly? after Red Shell into 1.4.3, now from map the orbital informations (when behind a planet) are unreadable since 1.4.4!

Why do you have changed this? sincerely I don't understand this regression.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:08 PM, GoldenHornet said:

How do we turn this off?  It's really annoying now the nodes are barely visible.  :/

On 6/24/2018 at 2:07 AM, DaveLChgo said:

Objects Behind Celestial Bodies... 
I agree it should be a selectable option.   Options on presentation of the gamespace is a good thing.
I understand why they dimmed stuff behind planets.  Asthetics, reduce the visual clutter, what ever floats your boat.   

But, what the dev in charge of that function forgot, was (previously) when you selected more than one data point so that you can see them at the same time, they would dim slightly.  Which was fine, it was a visual indicator you had multiple points selected.  What happens now is that when you mouse over an object behind the planet it is very dim and difficult to read.  And when more than one data point is selected they 'still' dim slightly (as per the original design, but with the new feature, appears 2x dimmed now)  which makes it impossible to read. 

Ideally it would be a selectable option.  And if the option is turned on (dim stuff behind objects = yes) then when you mouse over a data point the data should brighten, instead of dimming.  If more than one data point is selected, then brighten it a little less.  If implemented this should hopefully satisfy most opinions regarding this topic.  Maybe...just a smidge.

Just to let you know am looking into this one, If there is a bug/feedback number I can reference that would be super. Its altogether possible my bug tracker search fu is weak :)

On 6/24/2018 at 6:16 PM, Starwaster said:

That has NEVER stopped anyone's fears from running rampant any time Squad does or does not do something that someone thinks they shouldn't or should do, now has it?

What's a real pain in the SAS, but… it's the inevitable consequence of feeling impotent due lack of knowledge.

While being locked up to a distributor (regardless being the one I use or not) disgust me as the fellow guy, there's nothing on the KSP's architecture that demands such lock up. It's perfectly possible to Squad to lock themselves inside a walled garden if they wish, but it's easier not to do so.

There's current ~3700 Steam users playing KSP right now, and today we had a peak of ~4600 - but there're at least 10.000 KSP users there, as in March the logged user's peak playing KSP was 10.156. It's a reasonable amount of people, it's logical to please them.

Sometimes, you don't need to thrust someone's good faith: it's enough to thrust his/their common sense. :) 

I wonder if it would not be a nice move to publish the API they implemented to access the Steam's services to allow an implementation of such services using the current used tools. (assuming they abstracted the services enough to avoid publishing some NDA'd details, if there're any). I just checked KSP's page on GoG, and they appear to support Cloud Saving's there too, by the way.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammars… #sigh

On 6/23/2018 at 6:34 AM, RoverDude said:

Variants already support alternate drag :)  They have for a couple of versions now.

I mean drag shielding, like what cargo bays and fairings do

On 6/21/2018 at 6:29 PM, UomoCapra said:

Indeed. We have removed Red Shell from Kerbal Space Program in this latest patch in response to community feedback.

I'm happy to hear about this.

However I noticed that the ksp application is still trying to access the internet, is there a list of the various reasons why ksp.exe goes online?

I am sure there are different good reasons why it would, but I haven't found any list and the game itself never mentions it.

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

I'm happy to hear about this.

However I noticed that the ksp application is still trying to access the internet, is there a list of the various reasons why ksp.exe goes online?

I am sure there are different good reasons why it would, but I haven't found any list and the game itself never mentions it.

Mod version checker (AVC)?

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Sending usage information back to Squad.

1 minute ago, razark said:

Sending usage information back to Squad.

I don't think that's the case since they said they removed red shell because of the feedback from the community, and the community was complaning about undisclosed data gathering in general, not only the one done by red shell.

There used to be an option to send progress information back to the developers.  I can't find that option anymore, so maybe they removed the option, but left the code in?  The easiest way might be to run wireshark and see what address ksp is connecting to, and capture the sent info.

2 hours ago, AVaughan said:

There used to be an option to send progress information back to the developers.  I can't find that option anymore, so maybe they removed the option, but left the code in?  The easiest way might be to run wireshark and see what address ksp is connecting to, and capture the sent info.

51 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

They just removed the ability to opt out and the explanation of what they were doing.

It's how to gain the consumer's trust 101.

19 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

Steam Workshop connection? Maybe even version bought brom the Squead Store tries to connect to it in some way

I wanted to avoid speculation, that's why I asked a staff member to get an official answer.

I don't think SQUAD would go as far as saying they removed red shell because of people's feedback and then keep getting data anyways.

and yes, I could use some tools to get the answer myself, but I had other things to do so I thought asking the staff would be quicker and less time consuming.

I don't think RedShell was ever the only data collection service used by KSP. As far as I know it also uses Unity Analytics, the plugin is still in the KSP_Data/Managed folder. I don't know what KSP uses it for, basically every mobile game uses it for ads and in-app purchases, but KSP doesn't have any of that.

There could also be something talking directly to Squad, or some other T2-related service. And obviously, if you are playing on Steam there is probably some connection there, too.

Of course, they could just spell out exactly which services are collecting data, where they are sending it, and why, but then I suppose that would be too much to ask for.

19 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I don't think RedShell was ever the only data collection service used by KSP. As far as I know it also uses Unity Analytics, the plugin is still in the KSP_Data/Managed folder. I don't know what KSP uses it for, basically every mobile game uses it for ads and in-app purchases, but KSP doesn't have any of that.

There could also be something talking directly to Squad, or some other T2-related service. And obviously, if you are playing on Steam there is probably some connection there, too.

Of course, they could just spell out exactly which services are collecting data, where they are sending it, and why, but then I suppose that would be too much to ask for.

idk, with all the current european laws it seems weird that we are still arguing about what is or isn't being shared.

I was under the impression that those laws were introduced explicitly to avoid this kind of confusion

that is why I am leaning toward the option "no data at all is shared", or alternatively, "somewhere it is explained what data is shared and why" but I still haven't found that place

Edited by Sigma88

56 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Fix Gilly and Bop map scaling? Does this mean that MechJeb will no longer try to autoland way above or way below the surface on those two moons?

You will likely have to ask that of the MechJeb people. Or try it :D

But it WILL allow those of us who pilot manually to aim at a spot on the surface and actually land there, instead of crashing into the surface somewhere else while in map mode we appear to be visibly well above the ground.