Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 and Making History 1.3 launching today!

UomoCapra

1 minute ago, HebaruSan said:

But it would matter if the stats led people to put the CSM engine on the third stage and the third stage engine on the CSM.

But the game is *more* balanced if you do it the other way around. The Skiff can actually push its fuel tanks with TWR > 1, and you don't get unrealistically huge amounts of Delta-V in the CSM. That, specifically, is the problem here. And if it was a specific balance choice and not a mistake, then why would the Isp numbers be so close to each other's real counterparts instead of something refined by balance? Also, 400+ seconds Isp is unbalanced. KSP rockets are already much more forgiving than real rockets, and 400 seconds of specific impulse with a dense kerosene-like fuel gives you a lot more Delta-v for the same fuel tank volume than a hydrogen rocket of the same size would. (This also happens to be a problem with the Nerv NTR)

Anyway I want to make it clear that I'm not asking for a balance pass, not yet anyway. For now at least, the Skiff can keep its intended 412 seconds of specific impulse as long as it's on the Skiff, and not the Wolfhound. Heck, to make it easy for ships that are already launched, you could switch the model but not the part name and title--so people's ships can still work as they built it, just using the correct appearance.

Until this bug is fixed (or if I'm not playing with the patch I made that fixes it), I can not bring myself to use these two engines. I know that might sound silly, but to be fair we've made do with the stock engines for a good long while.

9 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Come now, let's not sacrifice our ability to disagree calmly over something like this.

You're right, you're right. But it is incredibly frustrating to see people defend something which was clearly a mistake. This is something that occurs way too often, people will actually defend bugs, let alone poor design choices and mistakes.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

He actually did about 7 hours ago :)

Yeah, I did it about March 15 days too late though :v

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

He actually did about 7 hours ago :)

My comment was not directed to any one individual. It was a response to the overall thread. Nothing personal to anyone

Removal of Red Shell really should have gotten top billing on the announcement, not just be one tiny bullet point buried deep in the changelog - Because it's the major reason for the recent downward trend in the Steam review score.  It was killing your ratings on reviews, SQUAD, and those poor scores might have been afffecting sales (I don't know your sales so I don't know) It just seems that if one single thing is the cause of such a large amount of down-rating, and you remove that one thing, It's in your best interest to have that removal be blatantly sign-posted.

17 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Anything in the future for Enhanced Edition? Just asking. Hopefully a fix to the part action menu bug.

There is another KSP-EE patch coming according to last weeks notes;

BlitWorks, has also been very busy with the upcoming patch for KSP Enhanced Edition. We’ve been regularly receiving builds filled with improvements and bug fixes that will surely please console players. In the latest build, various bugs were fixed, including one that took players to a non-functional KSC screen when they selected “Recover Vessel” during flight Training missions. Similarly, a bug that caused the overlapping of menus when a flag was changed from the Space Center was mercilessly squashed.  On top of that, and as suggested by the community, now you’ll be able to disable/enable trimming from your controls.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

No distribution method is perfect. If things broke because of the Workshop, well, there are plenty more ways to skin a cat install a mod. Don't see how it can cause a backlash.

Someone installs 684 mods through the Workshop, including Kopernicus, one mod for "real scale solar system" and another one for "extend the Kerbin solar system"

Shockingly, the game goes kaboom while loading.

And you think Take Two, the Workshop and Bill Gates will not be blamed for that?

* walks away, opens door labeled "sound proof room" and enters. Closes door. You hear the sound of muffled laughter *

Edited by Kerbart

45 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

you don't get unrealistically huge amounts of Delta-V in the CSM.

Exactly why no sane player would use them that way. Maximizing delta V in the upper stage is a basic design principle.

And if it was a specific balance choice and not a mistake, then why would the Isp numbers be so close to each other's real counterparts instead of something refined by balance?

Balance is hard, especially with so many engines. Maybe they picked something semi-random that looked OK to them at the time.

You're right, you're right. But it is incredibly frustrating to see people defend something which was clearly a mistake. This is something that occurs way too often, people will actually defend bugs, let alone poor design choices and mistakes.

Funny, I see the opposite condition with the same level of confidence. :) The real world stats simply aren't viable in the stock game, and it's futile to pretend they are and misguided to insist a mistake was made and demand a change.

5 hours ago, NJC2 said:

No, we don't.  KSP is not Steam exclusive.  Having mod Workshop would be a big FU to people buying it outside of Steam.

Why? it's not like you can't publish to multiple sites. It can't be that hard to upload to the workshop from github. *talking out of my ass, as I have no idea how it's done*

Still... it's not rocket science.

3 hours ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

RedShell is an analytics tool that sends banal info on the fact the someone ran KSP on a system with some basic specs.

Sending your computer's basic specs is only its secondary purpose.  The primary purpose is to gather data on which ads were most effective at causing game sales.  The steps required to accomplish *that* (i.e. the game looking at your online history files) is what had most of the complainers complaining.

7 hours ago, sathill said:

Another victim of ".SFS file is incompatible with this KSP version" here.

Long story short. Being me. Just common steam player. Steam updates games automatically. I dont even notice KSP get updated because i have a lot of active games. Load a save and play a little bit. Realize some mods don't work. Revert to previous version. Being a victim.

Yea i read now answers from dev team back from 2015 about making backups before updates. But after it happens to me.

Not even mad because im new on ksp and in my science save i was somewhere in mun landings, and making space stations in mun orbit so not far. But still... if i could chose i wish i can play on my previous save.

Like i wrote, dont need to reply to my post i read reaplies from 2015, just let you guys now, another victim.

6 hours ago, wookiee_goldberg said:

you can go back to 1.4.3 within steam if you want, if you right click on KSP in your Library, then go to Properties > Betas > pick the version you want.

The issue is that he broke his save because he didn't notice Steam updated it. He did revert, but now it won't load his new 1.4.4 save.

My suggestion is to go look in your "saves" folder for any older quicksaves or KAC saves. Alt-F5 to make named quicksaves can be your friend in this case, as can Dated Quicksaves

But yeah, no more RedShell, and the displaced shrouds fixed, along with improved particle and reentry FX? Sweet!

Edited by StrandedonEarth

2 hours ago, sh1pman said:

No distribution method is perfect.

Being the reason some countries allows a consumer to get a refund when things go wrong. Now imagine an avalanche of refunds due some broken mod being installed on the workshop. Worse, something that was working but got broke on a update.

If things broke because of the Workshop, well, there are plenty more ways to skin a cat install a mod. Don't see how it can cause a backlash.

People willing to use the workshop don't want to skin cats themselves. People here are ok with it (I rely only on AVC, I don't even use CKAN). But… we are not the average gamer. Most people want new things, shinny and new - as long it's easy to install and don't crash their computer.

And if I remember correctly, that particular backlash came from modders, because one particular mod distribution platform was distributing their mods without their permission. If the Workshop is opt-in, it shouldn't be a problem.

Modders usually don't use Steam's Workshop. Common people do.

Modders usually don't demand refunds. Users do.

Edited by Lisias
yeah. typos.

Is it just me, or can anyone not use fuel lines? When I place the first end of it, it's fine. When I place the second end of it, it double clicks and basically makes me pick the part back up. It only does it on fuel lines, not any other part. And it has been (so far) 100% of the time in the VAB. This is on a fresh, no mods install of 1.4.4.

7 minutes ago, MaianTrey said:

Is it just me, or can anyone not use fuel lines? When I place the first end of it, it's fine. When I place the second end of it, it double clicks and basically makes me pick the part back up. It only does it on fuel lines, not any other part. And it has been (so far) 100% of the time in the VAB. This is on a fresh, no mods install of 1.4.4.

I just finished making a semiridiculous asparagus-staged rocket and fiddled with fuel lines a lot. Not one problem with them. No mods though I do have MH installed.

5 hours ago, Lisias said:

Things cannot break when it come from Steam, or the backslash will be severe.

So will Steam workshop properly handle the use case of a user has mods installed, the game updates, and some of the mods get an immediate update to make them compatible with the new KSP version.  Next time the user goes to play ksp he gets the updated kps and the updated mods, and some of the mods that haven't updated yet either don't load, or don't work.  So his modded save is now unplayable.  Next he tries using the steam beta branches to revert to the previous version of ksp.  Will steam correctly revert his updated mods to versions compatible with the previous version of ksp, and allow him to continue his save game?

I realise there are mods where this sort of compatibility isn't a problem, but there are also mods like kopernicus which are tied to specific ksp versions, and make whose sudden loss would make the save virtually unplayable, as well as mods whose loss would mean that ships in transit would suddenly vanish.  I'm sure that technical solutions for that and steam workshop could be found, but we already have that.  It is called ckan.  It would be better for KSP to get a new launcher that integrated ckan-like functionality.  That way the player could revert to exactly the same ksp version and modlist he had been playing with.  As a bonus it would also support non-steam players as well.

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

The issue is that he broke his save because he didn't notice Steam updated it. He did revert, but now it won't load his new 1.4.4 save.

My suggestion is to go look in your "saves" folder for any older quicksaves or KAC saves. Alt-F5 to make named quicksaves can be your friend in this case, as can Dated Quicksaves

Well the real mistake is playing a modded Steam install.  For a modded game I recommend always copying the ksp install to a folder outside of steam and installing mods in the copy.  That way your modded install won't get automatically updated when ksp updates.  (This is also why I'm not a fan of calls to add mods to steam workshop.  It just seems like another recipe for a similar issue to what @sathill experienced).

12 hours ago, Darth C3P0 said:

Now we need a mod section on the Steam workshop 

This is the last thing we need as a community.

We already have CKAN, Spacedock, Github, and Curse.  All of which do not list ALL of the mods because the some modders refuses to use X because of Y.  So let's add another option to further fracture the modding community.   I think that's a wonderful idea. 

Quite a few players do not use Steam. 

12 hours ago, passinglurker said:

After the drama and growing pains of CKAN and its attempts to automate mod installation I doubt modders will support steam workshop. They simply won't upload to it and they'll take thier ball and go home if you dare do it for them so its a good thing we will never get mods through steam workshop.

As a mod dev and a lazy butt myself, yeah that’s probably true. I mean I only kinda support ckan.

17 minutes ago, Oxygentlemen said:

wonderful! next step: phase out mods completely!

That may be the single worst idea I've ever read on this forum :(  I sure hope you were joking...

Thanks Squad! I was waiting for it to start my next career playthrough.

On the mods - the only way Workshop would work imo is to implement a mod management feature into the game and use all the mod repositories as download only. The mods would then be listed in game and they would have to be enabled before used. The game would obviously need to check dependencies while enabling mods.

That's the way used in Rimworld and (to some extent) in Factorio - other games with great modding communities.