Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 and Making History 1.3 launching today!

UomoCapra

@Lisias I think you missed my point. Let me clarify; I'm not worried that Squad will force Steam to launch to play KSP. Is there a possibility that Squad head that direction? Well yes, there is always the possibility, even if it's almost non-existent. I was just typing my response to the hypothetical situation that I was thinking at the time.

P.S. I also do use Steam. When ever possible, I switch the licenses for my games to a Steam license. So I have no problem with Steam or Valve. It's just poor timing to add Steam cloud services to the game, right when Steam starts their summer sales. The cloud services is going to suck for the next couple weeks then return to normal. 

Glad to see the devs slowly adding in requested features like Steam integration and better controller support for PC.

Now if we can just get some sort of life support mod integrated (like what the devs did with RemoteTech), an art and audio pass, a rethinking of career mode, and a proper balance pass, then maybe we'll finally have a more or less complete game.

What Squad developers are doing exactly? after Red Shell into 1.4.3, now from map the orbital informations (when behind a planet) are unreadable since 1.4.4!

Why do you have changed this? sincerely I don't understand this regression.

Also I'm disapointed about Making History DLC in particular enclosed missions, they're too difficult - even as beginner (in particular Jebnik 1, from first mission), of course I don't regret this buy because I'm using MEM (with Saturn V-Apollo craft by DarkStar) but for the remaining... uncrontrollable rockets, objectives too hard to achieve and so on...

On 6/21/2018 at 9:47 PM, sathill said:

Another victim of ".SFS file is incompatible with this KSP version" here.

Long story short. Being me. Just common steam player. Steam updates games automatically. I dont even notice KSP get updated because i have a lot of active games. Load a save and play a little bit. Realize some mods don't work. Revert to previous version. Being a victim.

Yea i read now answers from dev team back from 2015 about making backups before updates. But after it happens to me.

Not even mad because im new on ksp and in my science save i was somewhere in mun landings, and making space stations in mun orbit so not far. But still... if i could chose i wish i can play on my previous save.

Like i wrote, dont need to reply to my post i read reaplies from 2015, just let you guys now, another victim.

Just deactivate Steam automatic updates in the Steam KSP menu (right click on KSP in the Steam game library list) so you see it coming and actually have time to decide if you need to copy yor game directory or not...

On 6/21/2018 at 11:56 PM, TriggerAu said:

Looking into this one - if theres a bug report number for it I can use that to track/keep it up to date

That orbital data different appearence behind a celestial body thing feature is utterly useless and makes no sense whatsoever. Orbital data is raw data on your ship trajectory, why should it appear differently when behind a celestial body to begin with?

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

8 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Hmm...the structural tube drag bug still appears to be present after some testing with the fresh structural tubes in 1.4.4.  I didn't see it mentioned in the changelog and it's not closed in the bugtracker, just bringing it up in case anybody else was looking in to it.

Tracker ID?

I searched this thread.

Nothing about Direct3D, DirectX or OpenGL.

So I guess the icons in VAB issue when forcing Direct3D11 is still there? (hazy blue)
And when forcing glcore the icons in the topmost row are still cut?

It's this decision thing; KS3P or not? TU or not? (I know new TU built is D3D11 capable).

10 hours ago, Azimech said:

No rage, no panic, just an advice that it would be a bad idea. If KSP would've been a Steam title from the very first start with the limitation of running from Steam it would be a different story and everyone would just accept it.

But because of the mod updates situation a lot of users have moved their install to a different location to protect their saves.

The turmoil of being forced to play KSP from within Steam would be tremendous.

There has been no slightest indication of some previous decisions right?

it would destroy the game for sure.. steam currently/randomly performs updates while you are playing and in many games like cod.. too bad on you and what you and your team were in too(kicking you ofline). the game saves would be destroyed if this happens while playing(an autosave would have to be created and you have to know that that is the latest save..) ..like they do.. steam needs its weekly/daily/randomly updates for some workshops to be updated. they update steam more than any other software. including ms and adobe we all have no choice.. this wouldn't go so well. so hopefully they already know this.   

12 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

It would suck if KSP went Steam-only, but since THERE IS NO SLIGHTEST INDICATION THAT THEY WOULD DO THAT, why don't we hold off on the rage, panic, and threats to quit playing? 

12 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

It shows no signs of heading in that direction.

It's like a car changing lanes. There is no real fear that the person doing so will just continue after successfully changing lanes, veering into oncoming traffic or people's front yards.

I've seen before games that have for years been available on Steam and have for years used Steam Workshop and have for years had non-Steam versions. Usually those are niches but not because they're not supported, because Steam is a very attractive option to both developers and users.

Not trying to drum up rage nor panic, but; When I see all these new hooks going in exclusively for Steam, how am I not to see this as an indication?

I guess my history goes back a bit farther than yours, as I've seen just the opposite ... and once again I'll cite (pre Source) Day of Defeat as my example, which Steam totally ruined. As a user, I see absolutely nothing attractive about using Steam.

Steam's history considered, I think my question is legitimate.

22 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

I guess my history goes back a bit farther than yours, as I've seen just the opposite ... and once again I'll cite (pre Source) Day of Defeat as my example, which Steam totally ruined. As a user, I see absolutely nothing attractive about using Steam.

I was a late adopter to Steam, it's true. I didn't start using it until about 4 years ago when I realized that it was - of the easy to use methods - the most likely to get automatic instant updates for all the games I wanted to play. At that time I got several games that I'd already purchased off-steam (FTL and KSP most notably) on Steam as well.

Since then I've seen Factorio and Rimworld use Steam heavily yet also have an active non-Steam following (And no DRM in their games), and Paradox (paradoxically?) use Steam workshops exclusively yet have a bootleg mod site that's kind of sketchy yet popular (or at least it seems so).

On 6/21/2018 at 12:46 PM, pquade said:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

* Updated map nodes to be visually different when behind a celestial body.

Pretty much hating the way new luminance levels for orbital indicators on the opposite side of the planet now.

Especially hate how hard it is to see data readouts.  

https://i.imgur.com/NFgl09R.png
Yes, it's this bad even in 100% stock.

Is there a way for players to control this?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First let me say Thank you for working on the update.  Re-entry effects is finally fixed YAYYY!!!

Objects Behind Celestial Bodies... 
I agree it should be a selectable option.   Options on presentation of the gamespace is a good thing.
I understand why they dimmed stuff behind planets.  Asthetics, reduce the visual clutter, what ever floats your boat.   

But, what the dev in charge of that function forgot, was (previously) when you selected more than one data point so that you can see them at the same time, they would dim slightly.  Which was fine, it was a visual indicator you had multiple points selected.  What happens now is that when you mouse over an object behind the planet it is very dim and difficult to read.  And when more than one data point is selected they 'still' dim slightly (as per the original design, but with the new feature, appears 2x dimmed now)  which makes it impossible to read. 

Ideally it would be a selectable option.  And if the option is turned on (dim stuff behind objects = yes) then when you mouse over a data point the data should brighten, instead of dimming.  If more than one data point is selected, then brighten it a little less.  If implemented this should hopefully satisfy most opinions regarding this topic.  Maybe...just a smidge.

A few questions.
1. How many mods do you guys think will be broken by this update?
2. Does Squad have any plans to add steam workshop support for mods in the future?
3. Is it possible to upload modded craft onto the steam workshop?

1 hour ago, InfiniteAtom said:

You'll just have to try them and see.   Some will some won't.  Short of each and every modder chiming in this thread, we'll never know.  Control of the mods is too dispersed for any one person to answer that question about all of the mods. 

1 hour ago, InfiniteAtom said:

2. Does Squad have any plans to add steam workshop support for mods in the future?

Let's hope not.   See discussion above.

On 6/23/2018 at 2:10 PM, InfiniteAtom said:

Very few if any. Currently, I'm using about 90 mods on 1.4.4 without perceptive glitches - all appears to work fine.

The mods are:

KSP: 1.4.4 (Unix) - Unity: 2017.1.3p1 - OS: Mac OS X 10.12.6
000_AT_Utils - 1.6
ClickThroughBlocker - 0.1.6.5
Filter Extensions - 3.2.1
TexturesUnlimited - 1.1.2.14
Toolbar - 1.7.17.11
USI Tools - 0.12
ToolbarControl - 0.1.6.9
Airplane Plus - 21.0
AnyRes - 2.0.2.3
Electric Lights - 1.0.4
AutoAction - 1.10.1
AutomatedScreenshots - 0.8.3
Aviation Lights - 4.0.5
B9 Animation Modules - 1.2
B9 Part Switch - 2.2.1
B9 Aerospace - 6.5
B9 Aerospace HX Parts - 6.5
B9 Aerospace Legacy Parts - 6.5
Bon Voyage - 0.13.3
CameraTools - 1.10
Chatterer Extended - 0.6.2
Chatterer - 0.9.95.2110
Chrononaut - 0.4.1
Community Category Kit - 3.0
Community Resource Pack - 0.10
CommunityTechTree - 3.3.2
Community Trait Icons - 1.0
ConfigurableContainers - 2.4.3.1
Contract Configurator - 1.25
Contract Pack: Kerbal Academy - 1.2.1.1
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations - 3.7.0.2
StationScienceContinued - 2.4.1
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus - 1.5.2
Corvus CF - 1.3.2.2018031401
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.17
DMagic Orbital Science - 1.3.0.12
AGExt - 2.3.3.6
DistantObjectEnhancement - 1.9.1
DockRotate - 1.4.1.10
EVAEnhancementsContinued - 0.1.13.1
Easy Vessel Switch - 1.6.6640.41793
EditorExtensionsRedux - 3.3.19.3
FMRS (Flight Manager For Reusable Stages) - 1.2.7.2
FShangarExtender - 3.5.3.1
FuseBoxContinued - 0.1.16.1
HGR Community Fixes - 1.6
Hangar - 3.3.4.2
Haystack ReContinued - 0.5.4.2
Historian Extended - 1.3.2
HullcamVDSContinued - 0.1.9.3
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 3.6
RasterPropMonitor - 0.30.5
Kerbal Attachment System - 0.6.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.2.0.2
KSPWheel - 0.11.9.27
KerbalElectric - 0.1.1
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.5.2
Kerbal Foundries - 2.2.6.16
KerbinSide-Complete - 1.4
Filter Extensions - 2.2
LaserDist - 1.0
MOARdV's Avionics Systems - 0.18
MarkIVSystem - 2.4.1
KerbalSlingShotter - 1.1.1
Modular Rocket Systems LITE - 1.13.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.5
NavBallDockingAlignmentIndicatorCE - 1.0.4.1
Stockalike Mk1 Open cockpit - 1.1.1
PartCommanderContinued - 1.1.4
PartWizardContinued - 1.3.7.4
PatchManager - 0.0.15
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.7
RemoteTech - 1.8.11
RoverScience - 2.3.5
SCANsat - 1.1.8.6
SXTContinued - 0.3.23.6
ShipManifest - 5.2.1
SmartParts - 1.9.9
SmartStage - 2.9.11
SolverEngines - 3.6.2
StageRecovery - 1.7.2
TAC Fuel Balancer - 2.18
TakeCommandContinued - 1.4.12
ThrottleControlledAvionics - 3.5.2.1
ThroughTheEyes - 2.0.2.2
TimeControl - 2.9.2
ToadicusToolsContinued - 0.22.3.1
Trajectories - 2.2
Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.9.1
Transfer Window Planner - 1.6.3
TweakScale - 2.3.12
Universal Storage - 1.4
VesselMover - 1.7.3
WASDEditorCameraContinued - 0.6.13.1
World Stabilizer - 0.9.2
kOS - 1.1.5.2
KAX Continued Unofficial - 2.7.1.1

I have 2 more installments for dedicated missions with a lot more, but didn't had the time to test them yet. I'll update this post as soon as I do it. [I didn't fired any of them yet after 3 weeks!]

ADDENDUM: MOARdV's MAS was just updated. I'm downloading it right now.
ADDENDUM'S addendum: B9 Animation Modules too.

Frankly? Rest assured: people are working here. Fast. [Jul21: I was wrong. Only 2 mods broke, but these single two caused a hell of a problem… :0.0:)

ADDENDUM's addendum's addendum: it's Jul,19 and to my knowledge only Kerbal Konstructs broke really bad. A lot of mods were updated in the mean time, so if any of them was broke, they fixed it before I realized the problem. The after-math is still positive, but KK was a blow. :( 

ADDENDUM's addendum's addendum's addendum: it's Jul,21 and I finally understood what happened with KK and Kopernicus (another victim). The 1.4.4 (apparently) broke an important interface on a minor release - what's, frankly, unthinkable. The effort to fix problems and revamp the game is clear, but the new issues that being created in the process are serious show stoppers.

Edited by Lisias
addendum's addendum's addendum's addendum - 21/Jul

2 hours ago, InfiniteAtom said:

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Let's hope not.   See discussion above.

Speaking frankly, as long the current componentized architecture is preserved and we can keep working and using mods as we do right now, I don't care if they (also) go Steam for mods. Once the problems I mentioned previously are worked out, it can be even an additional source of revenue, including for modders - someone has to curate the Workshop and keep things tight, and being paid for such a job is hardly a bad thing on my book.

I have no illusions that no new problems will arise from this stunt - but as long the net revenue is positive for everybody, I'm ok with it.

Edited by Lisias
yeah. typos.

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I was a late adopter to Steam, it's true. I didn't start using it until about 4 years ago when I realized that it was - of the easy to use methods - the most likely to get automatic instant updates for all the games I wanted to play. At that time I got several games that I'd already purchased off-steam (FTL and KSP most notably) on Steam as well.

Since then I've seen Factorio and Rimworld use Steam heavily yet also have an active non-Steam following (And no DRM in their games), and Paradox (paradoxically?) use Steam workshops exclusively yet have a bootleg mod site that's kind of sketchy yet popular (or at least it seems so).

I'll give you another example, my disdain for Steam; Had a friend who got me involved with Mount & Blade early on (beta 2004). Game was great until its actual release... Steam only. This happened around the same time period as the Day of Defeat debacle. Steam actually prevented you from playing games you'd already purchased, because of their graphics update (Direct-X crap included)... the update came with virtually no forewarning, and left you unable to play even offline. Initially, with DoD, I sated myself with Sturmbots, but their final update killed even that.

That is Steam's track record. They don't give a damn. Their answer to the 10's of thousands who complained?... go buy a newer pc. No joke.

Been there. Done that. I see it coming again.

Downloaded v1.4.4 last night. I'll have to give it a whorl just so I can say I tried it. ;)

1 minute ago, LordFerret said:

I'll give you another example, my disdain for Steam; Had a friend who got me involved with Mount & Blade early on (beta 2004). Game was great until its actual release... Steam only.

That's not true:

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Blade-PC/dp/B001DF1AM8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1529800463&sr=8-7&keywords=mount%2B%26%2Bblade&dpID=51Gjngsr21L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch&th=1

12 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Last I checked, that wasn't the case.

Post is old, but relevant. I'd be interested in knowing if things have actually changed. And, as noted, even if it will now 'work offline' beyond Steam, I do not want Steam installed on my machine. Period.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.241276-Is-Steam-Required-to-Play-Mount-Blade-Warband

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Last I checked, that wasn't the case.

When did you check?

1 hour ago, LordFerret said:

Post is old, but relevant. I'd be interested in knowing if things have actually changed. And, as noted, even if it will now 'work offline' beyond Steam, I do not want Steam installed on my machine. Period.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.241276-Is-Steam-Required-to-Play-Mount-Blade-Warband

Those posts are wrong. I personally bought M&B:WB from Amazon on August 25, 2013 (just checked my order history to make sure) and played it standalone without issues.

17 hours ago, Lord Aurelius said:

better controller support for PC

How about any controller support for PC running GNU/Linux?

Will 1.4.5 be the KSP release with no serious regressions... The wait continues.