Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 and Making History 1.3 launching today!

UomoCapra

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

You will likely have to ask that of the MechJeb people. Or try it :D

But it WILL allow those of us who pilot manually to aim at a spot on the surface and actually land there, instead of crashing into the surface somewhere else while in map mode we appear to be visibly well above the ground.

Same symptom, same bug.

What additional steps are now required to setup a new PqsCity object? 

Now the PqsCity.Orientate() throws an null reference exceprion, but I don't know why. 

Has it something to do with the changes to the pqs cache? ( It doesn't matter if I use PqsCity or PqsCity2) 

Any hints on this would be very welcome 

50 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Same symptom, same bug.

I don't think the KSP devs can verify that MechJeb uses map mode's scaling to land ships. At least, they shouldn't be expected to.

And you surely don't expect them to load a game with MechJeb to test it for you.

4 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Fix Gilly and Bop map scaling? Does this mean that MechJeb will no longer try to autoland way above or way below the surface on those two moons?

Did you try to land using MJ on bop or Gilly? I just did using Landing guidance and it seems to work OK? I used latest MJ Dev #801.

51 minutes ago, peter1981 said:

Did you try to land using MJ on bop or Gilly? I just did using Landing guidance and it seems to work OK? I used latest MJ Dev #801.

Yes, but not with 1.4.4. I've been playing this game for many years. MechJeb has always had the same problem with Bop and Gilly that manually landing with map mode has -- it tries (tried) to land you either a kilometer up in the sky or 500 meters underground. Obviously the latter is the bigger problem. Not a huge deal, as long as you knew about the problem, but it precluded using MechJeb's nifty "land at target" feature to let you easily select which biome you were going to land in.

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't think the KSP devs can verify that MechJeb uses map mode's scaling to land ships. At least, they shouldn't be expected to.

And you surely don't expect them to load a game with MechJeb to test it for you.

Whoa there, sheriff. I wasn't really asking the devs, so much as anybody who has played the new 1.4.4 (such as peter1981 -- thank you Peter). Surely it was a better question than another 10 pages of discussion about Steam and Red Shell.

Edited by mikegarrison

3 hours ago, paelleon said:

Is Steam workshop available even if you download the game from Squad website only? Have I to transfer the game to Steam first?

You need to own it on Steam to get workshop content. I don't think there's a way to transfer any non-Steam copy to Steam.

41 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't think there's a way to transfer any non-Steam copy to Steam.

If you bought it from the website before a certain date, you have the option to transfer it to Steam.

13 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

Yes, but not with 1.4.4. I've been playing this game for many years. MechJeb has always had the same problem with Bop and Gilly that manually landing with map mode has -- it tries (tried) to land you either a kilometer up in the sky or 500 meters underground. Obviously the latter is the bigger problem. Not a huge deal, as long as you knew about the problem, but it precluded using MechJeb's nifty "land at target" feature to let you easily select which biome you were going to land in.

Whoa there, sheriff. I wasn't really asking the devs, so much as anybody who has played the new 1.4.4 (such as peter1981 -- thank you Peter). Surely it was a better question than another 10 pages of discussion about Steam and Red Shell.

Didn't get the chance to test land at target feature but I'll leave that as an exercise for you If I may as you'll know what you want to check.  I used the cheat menu on an sandbox new save to test.

11 hours ago, razark said:

If you bought it from the website before a certain date, you have the option to transfer it to Steam.

I thought it was "If you bought it from the website before a certain date, you HAD the option to transfer it to Steam by a certain, other date that has also long passed."

I don't know that for sure though as I got it from the store after at least that first date, and then got it on Steam separately much later.

On 6/25/2018 at 11:39 PM, Sigma88 said:

However I noticed that the ksp application is still trying to access the internet, is there a list of the various reasons why ksp.exe goes online?

Yes, here it is:

With the release of 1.4, stock KSP and its' launcher both made a number of connections to the internet. Quoting from what I told someone at the time;

The KSP Launcher attempts to connect to:
kerbaldevteam.tumblr.com
kerbalspaceprogram.com

Of these, the first is probably used as a news-feed, and the second checks your version of KSP against what's the latest version, etc.. probably also some news-feed stuff. Naturally, it also means that any game using the launcher is effectively pinging them, letting them track how many copies are out there, where they are, what version they're running, and all that juicy analytics data they're so hungry for.

The KSP game itself attempts to connect to:
cdp.cloud.unity3d.com
config.uca.cloud.unity3d.com
api.redshell.io

Of these, the Launcher is now defunct, so that's no longer an issue. And since Redshell is gone as well, that just leaves the two Unity Analytics phone-homes. I have had all the above ip addresses (except kerbalspaceprogram.com, naturally) blocked in my Pi-Hole blacklist ever since 1.4 was released.

Edited by JAFO

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought it was "If you bought it from the website before a certain date, you HAD the option to transfer it to Steam by a certain, other date that has also long passed."

Near as I can tell, that's not the case.  When I log in to the store, I still have the transfer button:

91GWgSr.png

(Of course,  I can't be sure what actually happens if you press the button, and I don't have a desire to find out.)

Guys...

Besides some objections (here and in other threads), tonight I realized something new on the few months since I created my account here.

There's way more non-EN posts popping up on the "All Activities" Stream. Since I started here, I remember one to two in Portuguese, perhaps half a dozen in Spanish and a few more in French.

Tonight, I'm seeing a small avalanche of Russian posts. It's a change. And I think it's for good.

2 hours ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

Somebody else see this:

It seems to me like all the reentry effects are now coming from stuff under fairings, but not from fairing itself. Is it just me or everybody? Most noticeable on GDLV3 stock vessel:

Huh...

That's disappointing...

5 hours ago, ThirdOfSeven said:

Somebody else see this:

It seems to me like all the reentry effects are now coming from stuff under fairings, but not from fairing itself. Is it just me or everybody? Most noticeable on GDLV3 stock vessel:

Its been like that ever since the fairings were updated with that texture swap feature.  They basically dont render reentry FX at all.  Still, its such a minor annoyance (and given that ive become quite used to no reentry FX since the 1.4-1.43 didnt even let you enable reentry FX at below 100% which lagged too much for my taste), not a huge deal.  At least they fixed the whole seeing reentry FX through the backside of a starfighter as its roasting on ascent.

In other news, i am happy they removed redshell.  Not that i cared personally (i deleted the .dll and i never even let KSP through my firewall to begin with ever since DMP stopped being updated and died), but the principle in collecting data secretly without even telling the user why or what its for is very low.  I feel they need to do the same with unity analytics, or at least return it to teh way it was, ask the user on game start if they want to have stats sent or not.  Nothing wrong with data collection, just let the damn users choose on their own whether they allow it or not, dont try and conceal the data collection and create both a PR nightmare and loose people's trust just to sell some marketing data or whatever it is.

i cant find the supposedly added H.O.T.A.S. profile they added in the update. with in KSP, the game will recognize the buttons and bind them, but it will not detect any of the axis's of the joystick. with in steam, using big picture mode, steam treats my x-52 Pro as a gamepad. and only treats one of the three hats as a hat, and treats the other two as buttons (2x 8-way hats=16 unassignable buttons) also unassignable is the throttle, and the rotation controls and the slider also a number of buttons are unassignable. the joystick normally has a total of 39 buttons. i went so far as to even ignore that steam treats the controller as a gamepad, and assigned buttons and so on as best as i could. i then went to check the game's controller config in steam, where you can change button configs, but there was no configs for a hotas flight stick. the only config available from squad were for xbox one and steam controllers. there are no flightstick configs available anywhere in steam that could be accessed or applied to use with ksp. steam controller support only supports gamepads at this time. 

'

Did the devs lie to us ???

this is for the windows [steam] version of KSP (with NO mods installed)

Edited by Chris Solomon

On 6/21/2018 at 5:46 PM, Beetlecat said:

Non-steam workshop? You mean CKAN/SpaceDock/Curse? ;)

they probably meant for the craft sharing feature. those are mod app/sites. it would be nice to have it on the non steam version.

4 hours ago, klesh said:

I'm kind of surprised the new Dessert complex typos remain after 2 months; references to "Desert Airfield" etc. 

Some "bugs" doesn't worth being fixed  - sometimes, the fix do more evil than good. Once people start to use the name, changing it will break everything that mention such a name.

And, besides, some people like them - it helps to break the "4th wall" (how it's named on gaming?), as nothing is perfect in the real world.

See 'Endeavor" in this link: https://www.wired.com/2008/08/gallery-nasa-50-mistakes/ :) 

4 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Some "bugs" doesn't worth being fixed  - sometimes, the fix do more evil than good. Once people start to use the name, changing it will break everything that mention such a name.

And, besides, some people like them - it helps to break the "4th wall" (how it's named on gaming?), as nothing is perfect in the real world.

See 'Endeavor" in this link: https://www.wired.com/2008/08/gallery-nasa-50-mistakes/ :) 

no you're correct 4th wall

I dont think changing it will "break" anything since the airfield itself is named correctly. any contracts using it as a biome shouldnt have a issue. Though i do kinda like a quirky game, i would be fine if the typos got fixed next bug fix. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:34 PM, RoverDude said:

Variants already support alternate drag :)  They have for a couple of versions now.

And your new family of structural tubes needs exactly this for Raptor9's bug report (originally 19093) mentioned a few posts later.
Just connecting the dots here, to be sure.

Edited by OHara

On 6/21/2018 at 9:36 AM, Paul Kingtiger said:

Any chance of steam workshop support for mods in the future?

Seconded.  I could not find any reply to this question, but it really should be addressed. The Steam Workshop should be hosting all the mods so everyone can enjoy them with easy installs.