I have 7085 science hanging around in low Gilly orbit. Should I just transmit it all back to kerbin, or should I send a crewed mission to Gilly so that I could use the science lab and extract, like what, 36000 science????? :confused: I have a couple of mods, so my tech tree is a bit bigger...

Also, the Science Lab is too overpowered!!

EDIT: I am playing a science save, 200% science returns.

Edited by Nivee~

When I get to this point I use the two admin strategies (I don't recall the names off-hand) to convert the science points to funds and rep. Especially rep, it's a good way to build your rep into the 90% range. 

Send a crew and bring it back, and convert what you don't need for the rest of your tech tree into funds to pay for the mission... or reputation.... or both.

Edited by Just Jim

Too much science on normal difficulty?

You can try tweaking your difficulty settings next time. My last career took something like 550 completed contracts before I'd researched and bought just the stock tech tree - strangely enough, it helped to make it the most enjoyable game I've played.

Edited by mystifeid

Oh! I forgot to mention that I am playing a science save(correcting in the OP) . And as of right now, I need a couple of thousand science, to get the fancy karborundum fusion engines.

Get a crewed mission ASAP. A science hanging around that could potentially finish the tech tree should not be wasted

To be honest, the most science I ever left hanging around drifting in deep space is around 45000 science (200% return, played with bunch of science instrument mods and get every data on every new biome/ situation durind mission), and the most science I ever recovered is 44000

If you have a specific goal in mind and the science you have to transmit will let you meet that goal, then go ahead and transmit it.  You can always send a new mission using those fancy engines later if you decide that you want the 36,000 science--especially so, because as a science save, Karborundum doesn't cost anything in the VAB.

Remember that, so long as you use new labs and are willing to get new samples and results each time, you can keep farming the same place for the same total science return--in other words, you can get as many multiples of 36,000 science from Gilly as you're willing to send labs and grind the experiments--of course, you may succumb to boredom before that.

For reference, I usually run both Community Tech Tree and reduced science return in order to both require and balance the use of the lab; I have an experimental save where I decided to try 40% return (that's slightly harder than Hard) and that seems to work okay for me.  I tried 10% but that was tedious; I have nothing but respect for the nanocrystalline diamond players, but no thanks:  I choose life.

It depends on how lazy you are. If you want to take the time and effort to got to Gilly with crew, then go ahead. If you want to transmit it, go ahead. If you sent a crewed mission, you would be able to do even more science around Eve and get the MAX amount. Also you could land on Gilly and get even more. 

There is not much that I can add to the excellent answers already provided by other users. But lemme tell you this: Use the mobile processing lab, if you have a lot of science available after completing the tech tree, then I suggest the Kerbal  Research and development.

Its a fun way to invest science and make sure that you have a motivation for visiting more planets and get more science. :)

2 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

Karborundum doesn't cost anything in the VAB

Totally forgot about that!!!! But even so, I will use them only when travelling farther from Eeloo. To the outer planets, the Valentine star...and maybe the stars in The World Beyond star pack..(I am fangirling on The World Beyond so bad! :D)

2 hours ago, Zhetaan said:

you may succumb to boredom

I almost did! While excavating science from Minmus, it took me about 3 hours to extract all science. And just when I thought that it was over, I realized that I had not done the Materials bay and the mystery goo experiments!!!! 

I also have the Surface Experiment pack and Dmagic's science mod installed, so more science! From each biome, of each celestial body, of each planet pack... :confused:

*Listening to 'Bang My Head Against the Wall' by Sia* Yeah, thats what I am going to be doing.. :D

Thanks for the responses!!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.