Challenge to land on the Bop Kraken

So, the other day my 12-year-old wanted me to watch him play Kerbal Space Program (he introduced me to the game). He said, "I'm about to land on Bop!"

Of course, he was referring to Bop, a moon of Jool.

That got me thinking. Everyone knows of the Bop Kraken, the easter egg near Bop's north pole. It's Bop's most defining feature, so surely someone could land there?

The challenge: Land a craft, with at least three kerbals, on top of the Kraken.

Hard mode: Build a base on and around the Kraken.

Super hard mode: Do it with only the FL-T100 Fuel Tank.

Oh, and by the way, my son did successfully land on Bop, but not on the Kraken!

Welcome to the forum!

This seems like a great challenge! Surprising that no-one has thought of this yet.

Question: Do I have to fly manually to Jool or can I hyperedit to Bop orbit? I’m not even that good at getting to Minmus yet....but I want to enter this :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

13 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Welcome to the forum!

This seems like a great challenge! Surprising that no-one has thought of this yet.

Question: Do I have to fly manually to Jool or can I hyperedit to Bop orbit? I’m not even that good at getting to Minmus yet....but I want to enter this :)

I think the flight out to jool, then to Bop is at least 50% of the challenge. Bop is quite low grav so once there it is easy enough to land with precision.. think minimus but further away ;)

That being said, I've never landed near the krakken.... maybe I should get around to a jool5 mission and do this too... kill 2 birds in one. 

Edited by Andetch

22 minutes ago, Andetch said:

I think the flight out to jool, then to Bop is at least 50% of the challenge. Bop is quite low grav so once there it is easy enough to land with precision.. think minimus but further away ;)

That being said, I've never landed near the krakken.... maybe I should get around to a jool5 mission and do this too... kill 2 birds in one. 

OK....guess I’ll have to figure out how to get to Jool before I enter this :P. But one of my future goals in KSP is to do a Jool 5 so maybe I’ll be able to actually do this at some point.

Been there... but no screenshot...

I do, however... have screenshots of the aftermath of the fierce battle between Val and the Kraken... hehehe

7KwdcUt.png

OHlIsV0.png

Val won.... lmao..... :D

Edited by Just Jim

51 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

OK....guess I’ll have to figure out how to get to Jool before I enter this :P. But one of my future goals in KSP is to do a Jool 5 so maybe I’ll be able to actually do this at some point.

Getting to jool is easier than one would think. As long as the planetary alignment is correct it doesn't take huge amounts of dv

Slowing down once you're  there however is a completely different ball game.... and it is a planetary system in it's own right, so once you're there moving around the system takes a lot of planning! Jool5 is a big achievement. I've never done it. 

I laughed so hard at 1:26!

Thank you for rising to the challenge.

Or rather, showing me a video where you accomplished the challenge. Before the challenge was a challenge.

Or rather, before the cha-

Never mind.

Anyway, you get the Kerbal Medal of Kerbal Awesomeness in Kerbal Space Program!

Or rath-

(facepalm)

Edited by Jebediah Kerman Jr.

On 6/23/2018 at 4:37 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, either way is fine, just impress me and you'll win the Kerbal Medal of Kerbal Awesomeness in Kerbal Space Program! But if you want a challenge, fly manually to Jool, it's really not hard. I only learned how to dock last Saturday, and I've been in Joolian orbit before!

That reminds me, I probably should send someone up there to rescue Jeb...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.