Share to where?

Where to Share your Craft? (no, cloud drives does not count)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Best place to Share your Craft is at:

• CurseForge
    • KerbalX
    • Steam Workshop

There's no way this is objective, but I am wondering: Now that Steam Workshop can work with KSP, which is the best place, in your opinion, to put your craft?

As for me, I am sticking with KerbalX for now -- simply because it's community run. Now if some of the big names move their craft to Steam Workshop I may consider using it as secondary place.

For those that wonder about cloud drive (and why I say it does not count). Even if you put it in a folder, one cannot immediately have a preview of how the craft looks like. In the worst case, like Admiral Andre, I don't even know which craft is associated with the video.

EDIT: Trying to upload my LK700 clone to SteamWorkshop and what do I get?--  k_ERResultlimitExceeded error. I am not even adding anything special. Going to ask that in technical support. EDIT2: Finally got it up. Noticed that that place have a lot of Mainlander's submissions.

The "bad" news: Scott Manley is using Steam Workshop.

Edited by Jestersage

"I choose you, KerbalX."

Available to all, independent of whatever store they bought KSP from. Purpose-made for the job, by a KSP player. Wins hands down in my view.

A suggestion for those who prefer Steam Workshop because 'it does this or that better': have you tried letting @katateochi know that you would like to see a particular feature? He's been known to make changes or implement new features based on user feedback.

It might prove a bit harder to get Valve to make changes to the Workshop...

By the community, for the community. KerbalX, of course.

Squad have tried this before, pushing a proprietary host with no respect for the efforts of the many volunteers who support their game. They will fail, again.

Long live KerbalX.
Long live Spacedock.
Screw valve, and screw steam.

If some of you want to use steam workshop, that's fine. I'll never see your craft, and others who don't use steam won't either. Your loss.

Nice work @SQUAD, you're getting so good at fragmenting the KSP community I expect it was the plan all along.

Edited by steve_v

If you know Kerbal-X and know how to install their excellent mod (and are willing to take the burden to keep things working as KSP and other mods change versions), there' no reason to use anything else for Crafts.

If you are on Steam and don't want to mess with these things, there's no reason to do not use Workshop.

Different people, different users, different solutions: one size doesn't fits all. As long Squad don't shut doors on our face, I don't mind they opening new ones.

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

have you tried letting @katateochi know that you would like to see a particular feature? He's been known to make changes or implement new features based on user feedback.

It might prove a bit harder to get Valve to make changes to the Workshop...

This. +1

I have noticed a few things based on quick glance of SteamWorkshop:

• Most of them are low effort
  • There are more users from Chinese Mainlanders and Russia in SteamWorkshop. In fact I would not be surprised that's the real reason for such existence.
  • Now this is the big one: There may be one or two designs that used to belong to someone on kerbalX and upload it. Usually they will be uploaded by Chinese Mainlanders (simply by only having Chinese name/description instead of bi/tri-ligual like my KL700). The naming scheme is also very similar. However, they did some changes so they technically cannot be concretely proved as such.
Edited by Jestersage

6 hours ago, Lisias said:

If you know Kerbal-X and know how to install their excellent mod (and are willing to take the burden to keep things working as KSP and other mods change versions), there' no reason to use anything else for Crafts.

That said, frankly… I understand that it's the first version of the feature, that they have their hands full at the moment, but...

The current Workshop feature is pale, almost pathetic when compared to Kerbal-X plugin. (sorry being blunt, but frankly - bitter medicines are best to be taken in one big gulp).

They should had limited the feature to stock only crafts, and then worked out a decent parts database so the plugin can figure out correctly what is being used. Simply shoving up all my GameData listing as dependency is not enough, and to tell you the true, will do more harm than good.

IMHO, as they had gone Agile (as it appears), they should really go Agile. The first version of anything is always a MVP (Minimum Viable Product): steam users that don't thrust Kerbal-X or do not want to be bored by installing  mods will not need it anyway, and users that use mods will have a bad time handling dependencies without Kerbal-X.

So… I think they tainted a good feature by delivering more than was really needed, and insufficiently implemented.

1 hour ago, Jestersage said:
  • Now this is the big one: There may be one or two designs that used to belong to someone on kerbalX and upload it. Usually they will be uploaded by Chinese Mainlanders (simply by only having Chinese name/description instead of bi/tri-ligual like my KL700). The naming scheme is also very similar. However, they did some changes so they technically cannot be concretely proved as such.

Nothing new, really. It's exactly that way everywhere. People do what people do. :) 

Edited by Lisias
better choose of words

Guys I'm really touched by the support for KerbalX in this thread. I was feeling kinda miffed (and being British, that's quite a strong emotion), about the whole steam workshop thing, and this has really cheered me up. The other encouraging thing is the level of traffic on KX hasn't wavered, infact it's on an upward trend since Friday (but weekends always have more traffic).

I'd been holding off saying anything about the workshop, "Mamma always taught me, if ya ain't got nothin' nice to say, don't say nothin'", but I've had a look at it now and I'm much less concerned than I was.  Maybe it'll eventually get the mod detection capabilities that KX has, but I really doubt that it will ever have a search system that can match KX's. It's a generic system designed to cater for everything, KX is bespoke and KSP focused and if you want to find a craft that can take x number of crew, under a certain part count, contains specific science gear and will work with your specific mod setup (etc), we got ya covered!

I'm mostly upset that Squad didn't even bother sending me a message to say something like "thanks for holding it down, but we're going in another direction now". I would have been very open to the idea of tighter integration with KX and KSP and with the platform KX is using I could scale it up to industrial levels of user throughput.  But whatever, my plan now is just to out-feature the workshop (it'll just happen more slowly as RL is being awkward at present).

KerbalX ain't going anywhere (and stray busses not withstanding, nor am I). I will continue to run and improve KX and make sure your craft are secure and always available. I will continue to protect your works against shameless reposting, and prevent site-scrapers pulling content off to re-host on other sites (don't know if steam deals with either of those problems). I will continue to regard your content as your intellectual property, to which you retain all rights and I will continue to never collect personal data to sell for marketing.

Thank you everyone for your continued support and especially those who've posted above.  You guys are awesome! 

Kat

For fun: Take a guess how many "未命名飞船" exist.

So in case for those wondering: I am going to stick with kerbalX, except for a few just to attract people to my page at KerbalX.

There are a few issues I see with SteamWorkshop, whihc 77i also found out:

• picture uploading is a pain. Also must be small size,thus you must convert you picture to jpg
  • Sometimes it does not work, as the errors I keep having showed. I did do a file verify, but not sure if that is the reason why the uploading button work
  • The thumbnail is painful. Also not enough info until I click on it.
Edited by Jestersage

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

I was feeling kinda miffed (and being British, that's quite a strong emotion), about the whole steam workshop thing, and this has really cheered me up. The other encouraging thing is the level of traffic on KX hasn't wavered, infact it's on an upward trend since Friday (but weekends always have more traffic).

Yeah, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  When Curseforge was announced as the official mod-hosting site back in the day, the Spaceport (pre-Spacedock site) people felt similarly irritated, some even spoke about feeling betrayed.  But the years since have shown that Curseforge is still not the preferred mod-hosting site.  Spacedock still reigns supreme, by a significant margin from what I've seen.

6 hours ago, katateochi said:

I'm mostly upset that Squad didn't even bother sending me a message to say something like "thanks for holding it down, but we're going in another direction now".

I wouldn't hold that as an indicator of how the Squad team regards KerbalX (not saying you do).  Even legal and PR people have their own personal opinions that may differ from the "official" positions or announcements that they put out in the name of the company that employs them.

As someone that draws a very distinct line between his personal and professional lives, I can understand how interesting that dynamic can be.

BTW, thanks for holding it down, and I'm not changing my individual direction. :cool:

Edited by Raptor9

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

KerbalX ain't going anywhere (and stray busses not withstanding, nor am I). I will continue to run and improve KX and make sure your craft are secure and always available. I will continue to protect your works against shameless reposting, and prevent site-scrapers pulling content off to re-host on other sites (don't know if steam deals with either of those problems).

I think you have a very interesting opportunity here. Go the Microsoft way, "Embrace and Extend"! :ph34r:

If possible, allow your plugin to publish the craft into Workshop too, but filling up the dependencies correctly - and add a nice link to Kerbal-X on the Workshop's craft description. ;) 

Some precautions need to be taken, as if this stunt "sticks" this can raise your site's hits and, so, costs. But *this* would add value to Kerbal-X users that also want to go Steam's Workshop. The Workshop is here to stay, the best measure you can take is make your plugin a must have in order to use that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2018 at 12:29 PM, Lisias said:

I think you have a very interesting opportunity here. Go the Microsoft way, "Embrace and Extend"! :ph34r:

If possible, allow your plugin to publish the craft into Workshop too, but filling up the dependencies correctly - and add a nice link to Kerbal-X on the Workshop's craft description. ;) 

Some precautions need to be taken, as if this stunt "sticks" this can raise your site's hits and, so, costs. But *this* would add value to Kerbal-X users that also want to go Steam's Workshop. The Workshop is here to stay, the best measure you can take is make your plugin a must have in order to use that.

Well, I think this is quite a good(and clever) idea!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.