[1.3.1] Real Exoplanets v0.2.0 [12/12/18]

Andi K.

24 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Please put your planet pics in spoilers so that there is more of a sense of DISCOVERY when you get to them and see them for the first time.

I put only a couple of pictures for that very reason.

Hate to only drop in for troubleshooting, but I did want to try this and at least I narrowed down the problem a lot (I hope).

1) Systematically installed mods, one at a time in order, and after RSSVE and RSSExpanded, I install this one.
2) Kopernicus greets me at main menu with an error box, not all planets were loaded successfully (which as so often is the case, means none were loaded, as Kerbal also greeted me at the main menu instead of Earth). It mentions logs, and Kopernicus forum-page suggests reading them for myself, so I did.
3) All loaded until ProximiCentariBbody it appears. The general log says that's the body that failed, and the body's specific log says:

Spoiler

[LOG 23:11:45]: Parsing Target name in (Kopernicus.Configuration.ModLoader.VertexHeightNoise) as (System.String)
[LOG 23:11:45]: Exception Was Recorded: Argument cannot be null.
Parameter name: type
  at System.Activator.CheckType (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type, Boolean nonPublic) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Activator.CreateInstance (System.Type type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadCollectionMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectMemberFromConfigurationNode (System.Reflection.MemberInfo member, System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.PostApply (.ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

4) So I am wondering what would correct a Kopernicus exception, that a VertexHeightNoise cannot be null. *shrug*. Appreciate it if you had any ideas, just a shot in the dark.

EDIT: THIS REQUIRES MOD-DEV ATTENTION @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures => in config for ProximiCentarib, after VertexHeightNoise, there is a fat-fingered "[" left-facing box-bracket, that seems to be missplaced and should be a "}" right-facing pointy-bracket. That change, makes it launch without errors. Now it runs for me and I can play it, which is fantastic because that's exactly what I intend to do!

EDIT:EDIT: Kopernicus' discord-channel helped be troubleshoot that far, but they also discovered in my discovery, that PDQ might not be closed at all (should be closed before ocean? so add 2 "}"s instead?), so double-check me on all related brackets I suppose, because I'll probably arrive to a broken planet in my fix.

Edited by YagiHige
Discovered Solution, Error in Typing of Config

Everything's so friggin cool yet scary so far on ProximiCentari-b.

Neither Alpha Centari star liked me orbiting correctly around it's center of gravity.

I did notice (with planetshine, dunno if it matters) that hd10180 is unbearably bright from it's nearest orbiting body (hd10180b?). Looking in a 180 degree angle in it's direction is just solid white screen.

Lastly, hard to find or click on Sol System from focus in map on either of the other systems. Too close and it don't show, too far and it don't show. Dunno if it has different priority than the other 2 stars to show up in furthest zoom of map.

7 hours ago, YagiHige said:

-- snip --

Thank you for finding that little error for me. Not sure how I missed that!

2 hours ago, YagiHige said:

Everything's so friggin cool yet scary so far on ProximiCentari-b.

Neither Alpha Centari star liked me orbiting correctly around it's center of gravity.

I did notice (with planetshine, dunno if it matters) that hd10180 is unbearably bright from it's nearest orbiting body (hd10180b?). Looking in a 180 degree angle in it's direction is just solid white screen.

Lastly, hard to find or click on Sol System from focus in map on either of the other systems. Too close and it don't show, too far and it don't show. Dunno if it has different priority than the other 2 stars to show up in furthest zoom of map.

Yeah HD 10180 b is so incredibly close to HD 10180, so it makes sense that the screen would be completely white lol. I have noticed that it's difficult to navigate back to the Sun once you have clicked on another system. I'm not sure how you'd fix this, but for now, you can just hit tab until you return to the Sun.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

I wonder if anyone could attempt the following mission using Photon Sailor

AAS_Mission.jpg

source: http://phl.upr.edu/press-releases/sailingtotheneareststars

The main problem I see is decelerating too fast. The trick is to get around the sun at the correct altitude. But aiming at the edge of a star 4 light years away can be a tricky manoeuvre.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/9/2018 at 11:28 AM, FreeThinker said:

The main problem I see is decelerating too fast. The trick is to get around the sun at the correct altitude. But aiming at the edge of a star 4 light years away can be a tricky manoeuvre.

I honestly think most people will just take the "easy" way out and wait to get warp drives and then be able to get to Proxima Centauri in a relatively short amount of time.

Progress on Tau Ceti h:

6sPUMt6.png

1 hour ago, Hypercosmic said:

Tau Ceti h, a weird-looking planet indeed. Is that orange sand that fills the gap between mountain ranges?

Nah, it's just lava.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
12 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures  Have you noticed the real solar system mod is finally updated to KSP 1.4.5?

Although Real Solar System has been updated to 1.4.5, RSSVE hasn't, and since REX depends on RSSVE, I'm not going to update REX to 1.4.5 until RSSVE has also been updated to 1.4.5.

On 9/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Although Real Solar System has been updated to 1.4.5, RSSVE hasn't, and since REX depends on RSSVE, I'm not going to update REX to 1.4.5 until RSSVE has also been updated to 1.4.5.

But according to the OP  RSSVE  is not a hard dependency, can you drop support for RSSVE or replace it with something else?

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a specific Kopernicus version required for 1.3.1? Not able to get it working due to errors and I've had issues with Kopernicus versions before so I figured I'd ask!

In case it matters, here's the error in question:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()