[1.3.1] Real Exoplanets v0.2.0 [12/12/18]

Andi K.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

On 9/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Although Real Solar System has been updated to 1.4.5, RSSVE hasn't, and since REX depends on RSSVE, I'm not going to update REX to 1.4.5 until RSSVE has also been updated to 1.4.5.

Notice there is a new version of Real Solar System available:

And IT IS COMPLETELY COMPATIBLE WITH RSSVE-LITE

Edited by FreeThinker

9 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Notice there is a new version of Real Solar System available:

And IT IS COMPLETELY COMPATIBLE WITH RSSVE-LITE

I did not see that before. Interesting. Do keep in mind that RSSVE-lite is different from RSSVE. It just makes me uncomfortable updating REX to 1.4.5 when one of its dependencies is technically not supported for 1.4.5.

Quick question: Rather than make interstellar distances one-tenth as far, why not just add star systems within a couple dozen lightyears instead? Also, which star systems does it add? (the previous version of the mod had a list of systems on it's front post)

Edited by ChrisSpace

10 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

Quick question: Rather than make interstellar distances one-tenth as far, why not just add star systems within a couple dozen lightyears instead? Also, which star systems does it add? (the previous version of the mod had a list of systems on it's front post)

Because that would extremely limit the star systems I could add. So far it is just the Alpha Centauri System (including Proxima Centauri) as well as the HD 10180 system. Tau Ceti will be added soon-ish.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:20 AM, ChrisSpace said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_exoplanets

Within 10 parsecs there's 26 systems with planets, 5 with 4 or more confirmed planets, and 10 potentially habitable worlds

Do keep in mind that some systems, such as the infamous Gliese 667 C, actually contain fewer planets than listed. Originally listed as 5 (or was it 7?), simulations show that the arrangement is unstable. In the end they only confirmed two (b, c).

"and 10 potentially habitable worlds", ...all of which are either too hot (Tau Ceti e and more), or too big (likely Gliese 832 c), or orbiting a red dwarf, which means that the local stellar wind will blow the living atmosphere out of them and likely immense tidal force will turn them into giant versions of Io (all of them except Tau Ceti e). Not that it's necessarily a bad thing since various kinds of uninhabitable worlds makes for more interesting targets for science and colonization than a bunch of plain ol' habitable worlds filled with unknown alien natives that will (indirectly) fill your house with angry bioconservationists.

Within roughly 40 light years there are many more interesting systems and more, like Sirius system, Epsilon Eridani system, or TRAPPIST-1 system, for example. Just beyond that you also have 55 Cancri system.

Edited by Hypercosmic

11 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Does anyone else have lightning problems with Real Exoplanets? I'm running a 1.3.1 modpack with RSSVE and, when REX is installed, the sunlight received on the Earth is WAY dimmer than it should be.

Yeah I'm aware of this problem. Don't worry! I'll fix it soon

Don't worry, I've only been slacking a little bit. Here is how Tau Ceti g is looking, the innermost planet in the Tau Ceti system

aiSNQd7.png 

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

16 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

What is this planet in your vision like? The surface is probably basalt, olivine, lava and all, but what about it's atmosphere?

The atmosphere will be almost entirely carbon dioxide.

4 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Some modifications made to HD 10180 b. Now it truly looks completely molten from the heat of its star.

my9QEos.png 

When your calculator shows that your planet's equilibrium temperature is over 2000 K, you know your planet's roasted.

Also, what would be the surface pressure of Tau Ceti g? Is it going to be more than Venus?

2 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

When your calculator shows that your planet's equilibrium temperature is over 2000 K, you know your planet's roasted.

Also, what would be the surface pressure of Tau Ceti g? Is it going to be more than Venus?

Tau Ceti g is going to have a pretty thin atmosphere. We had a conversation about this before with @ProtoJeb21 and he figured that an atmospheric pressure between 0.1 and 0.5 would be reasonable. I'd probably agree with him. Tau Ceti g is too close to Tau Ceti to have a super thick atmosphere.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hotbigboy said:

A discord server for this mod would be cool.

There's a kopernicus discord with different channels for different people's mods 

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

43 minutes ago, Arcturusvfx said:

Wait, that is absolutely amazing. So excited to here this! You can definitely count on Barnard b being included in REX.