[1.3.1] Real Exoplanets v0.2.0 [12/12/18]

Andi K.

On 11/15/2018 at 11:24 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

You could even say it's cool.

My apologies.

...by the way, according to Drew ex Machina https://www.drewexmachina.com/2018/11/16/our-new-neighbor-orbiting-barnards-star-details-historical-background/, there is a mention of the second planet in 5 years orbit, and other signals.

The current analysis of the RV data suggests that Barnard’s Star b might not be alone. The continued long-term variation in the RV measurements superimposed on the 233-day variations in RV caused by Barnard’s Star b suggest the presence of another exoplanet in a long-period orbit. Although the data are currently insufficient to make a definitive detection or pin down its properties, the observed residual RV variation is broadly consistent with an exoplanet with a mass >15 ME in a ~4 AU orbit with an orbital period of ~5 years. Only more data will allow astronomers to determine if this large, possible distantly orbiting exoplanet is real.

There are additional marginally significant periodic signals in the RV data such as at 81 days (corresponding a semimajor axis of ~0.2 AU) but more data will again be required to determine if this is the result of an actual exoplanet or a subtle artifact of noise, natural or otherwise. Ribas et al., however, have been able to place more stringent upper limits for the size of any exoplanets orbiting within the habitable zone of Barnard’s Star based on their data set. Ribas et al. found that exoplanets with orbital periods of 10 and 40 days (corresponding to the optimistic inner and outer edges of the habitable zone at about 0.05 and 0.12 AU) would have been detectable in their data if they had MPsini values larger than 0.7 ME and 1.2 ME, respectively. Given a randomly oriented orbit with respect to the plane of the sky, exoplanets with masses greater than ~2.4 ME and ~3.8 ME, respectively, have been excluded from the habitable zone to ~95% certainty. Potentially habitable exoplanets about the mass of the Earth or smaller could exist and still evade detection in the available RV data.

Edited by Hypercosmic

15 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

...by the way, according to Drew ex Machina https://www.drewexmachina.com/2018/11/16/our-new-neighbor-orbiting-barnards-star-details-historical-background/, there is a mention of the second planet in 5 years orbit, and other signals.

Yeah I'm going to wait until these exoplanets are confirmed before I add them to REX. There's definitely some interesting stuff going on with this system, though!

Side note: I have a dilemma. I really want to make REX be scaled 1:1 in terms of stellar distances, but I would need to remove the HD 10180 system from REX. That system kind of has sentimental value because it was the first system added into the original "RSS Extrasolar."

20 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I'm going to wait until these exoplanets are confirmed before I add them to REX. There's definitely some interesting stuff going on with this system, though!

Side note: I have a dilemma. I really want to make REX be scaled 1:1 in terms of stellar distances, but I would need to remove the HD 10180 system from REX. That system kind of has sentimental value because it was the first system added into the original "RSS Extrasolar."

Make a separate version because why not

Edited by Hypercosmic

1 hour ago, Hypercosmic said:

Make a separate version because why not

That just makes things needlessly complicated. The HD 10180 system is really nothing but gas giants, so I might just get rid of it, and recycle the textures for some other planets later on.

• 4 weeks later...

More Work on Tau Ceti g:

4CxKhX1.png

All I need to do is create an atmospheric curve for Tau Ceti f and sort out some things in the Alpha Centauri binary system, and the update will be ready to upload!

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

After 6 months I've finally updated this mod. The Tau Ceti system has been added, Proxima Centauri b has been overhauled, and I've changed the stellar distance scale to 1:1. Unfortunately, because I decided the change the scale, HD 10180 has been removed because it was causing the kraken to be summoned. Hope you all enjoy the update!

5 minutes ago, Adstriduum said:

As if RSS wasn't hard enough. :D

Hey at least I'm adding stars within only 50 ly of Earth :D. In all seriousness, it wouldn't be that hard for someone to use Sigma Dimensions or something to scale down the distances by whatever factor they want.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

7 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Hey at least I'm adding stars within only 50 ly of Earth :D. In all seriousness, it wouldn't be that hard for someone to use Sigma Dimensions or something to scale down the distances by whatever factor they want.

Hey do you know Advanced Space Flight? I could help you a lot. It has the solar system along with all stars with planets within 50 ly. It's an app on app store. 

A better source might be http://spaceengine.org/ which appear to be specifically designed to represent real exoplanets accurately.  Perhaps you can convert its content to the exoplanet mod?

10 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

In all seriousness, it wouldn't be that hard for someone to use Sigma Dimensions or something to scale down the distances by whatever factor they want.

Could you add a configuration for this in your pack, even better add it a configuration feature that can be activated with

Edited by FreeThinker

51 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

A better source might be http://spaceengine.org/ which appear to be specifically designed to represent real exoplanets accurately.  Perhaps you can convert its content to the exoplanet mod?

Yeah I've been using SE as a reference for binary star orbits mostly. I'm not really interested in making a carbon copy of SE, though.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Could you add a configuration for this in your pack, even better add it a configuration feature that can be activated with

-snip-

Thank you I didn't know that mod even existed! I'm definitely going to be using that.

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Yeah I've been using SE as a reference for binary star orbits mostly. I'm not really interested in making a carbon copy of SE, though.

No but it might be useful for star position and exoplanet orbits data

14 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

No but it might be useful for star position and exoplanet orbits data

Star position stuff is pretty readily available on the internet. All that's needed is to convert declination and right ascension into degrees. As for exoplanet orbits, that information is also readily available, though planets do not have information on their inclination or LAN. The reason I used it for stellar orbits is because astronomers use a completely different reference plane compared to KSP when specifying the orbital parameters of exoplanets and stars, so I needed to mess around with some of the orbital parameters to match it to roughly how its orbit is in real life.

Just now, Periapse said:

I gotta say, my jaw dropped when I saw the screenshots. I thought I was looking at Elite Dangerous or something. Keep it up, I think you're setting a new bar. 

Awww shucks :D

On 12/12/2018 at 4:05 AM, ILoveStars said:

Is epsilon eridani in this pack?

No, not yet, but I definitely plan on adding it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Here is the next planet I am working on, Barnard's Star b:

KnLGO0O.png

@ProtoJeb21 What do you think the atmosphere of Barnard's Star b would be like in terms of composition and pressure?

At that distance from its star, I would expect a Titan-like mix of nitrogen and methane, possibly even thicker than Titan’s atmosphere thanks to the higher gravity. Some other ices like ammonia will probably also be present in small amounts. 

47 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

At that distance from its star, I would expect a Titan-like mix of nitrogen and methane, possibly even thicker than Titan’s atmosphere thanks to the higher gravity. Some other ices like ammonia will probably also be present in small amounts. 

Do you think that there would be the same haze that is on Titan?

5 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Do you think that there would be the same haze that is on Titan?

I’m not too sure. Even if Barnard b does have the potential to host a Titan-like atmosphere, Barnard’s Star emits most of its light in the infrared, so I’m unsure of that could impact the composition of its planet’s atmosphere, or change whether or not hazes can exist. Also, the star is extremely metal-poor, which might determine what kinds of atmospheres can exist on any of its planets. 

Barnard’s Star is just about as different from the Sun as you can get, which means what’s possible in our solar system might, unfortunately, not be possible in its system. 

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I’m not too sure. Even if Barnard b does have the potential to host a Titan-like atmosphere, Barnard’s Star emits most of its light in the infrared, so I’m unsure of that could impact the composition of its planet’s atmosphere, or change whether or not hazes can exist. Also, the star is extremely metal-poor, which might determine what kinds of atmospheres can exist on any of its planets. 

Barnard’s Star is just about as different from the Sun as you can get, which means what’s possible in our solar system might, unfortunately, not be possible in its system. 

Isn't Barnard's Star a flare star like Proxima Centauri? Wouldn't that mean that, like Proxima Centauri b, Barnard's Star b likely would have a hard time holding onto a thick atmosphere?