[1.3.1] Real Exoplanets v0.2.0 [12/12/18]

Andi K.

11 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

No it wasn't. Given the amount of stars in that system, I'd have to use sigma binary to get the star system to work properly. Unfortunately, I believe I've had problems with sigma binary and this mod.

The mod is for version 1.3.1 of KSP. 0.1.1 is the mod version.

Hey guys, Tau Ceti e is turning out really well. If you look closely at the second screenshot, you'll be able to see Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri next to each other, and the Sun some distance above the two.

tzbjJaX.png

Jffzuht.png

Whoo, pretty!

11 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Gliese 667 system has three known stars, and only one of them (C) has known planets. In fact, only two were confirmed. There would be quite a lot of empty space there.

Still, if Gliese 667Cc is added, it seems that tidal heating would increase the planet's geological activities by a lot, giving the planet a thin carbon dioxide atmosphere constantly stripped by the star's stellar wind and flares. If its orbital eccentricity is high, it might also have 3:2 spin:orbit resonance. Might be an interesting world to look into.

Personally I would like to see TRAPPIST-1. I have a few (pessimistic) ideas of my own about how those planets might be like.

Actually it has SEVEN confirmed planets!

11 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

No it wasn't. Given the amount of stars in that system, I'd have to use sigma binary to get the star system to work properly. Unfortunately, I believe I've had problems with sigma binary and this mod.

The mod is for version 1.3.1 of KSP. 0.1.1 is the mod version.

Hey guys, Tau Ceti e is turning out really well. If you look closely at the second screenshot, you'll be able to see Proxima Centauri and Alpha Centauri next to each other, and the Sun some distance above the two.

tzbjJaX.png

Jffzuht.png

Whoo, pretty!

11 hours ago, Hypercosmic said:

Gliese 667 system has three known stars, and only one of them (C) has known planets. In fact, only two were confirmed. There would be quite a lot of empty space there.

Still, if Gliese 667Cc is added, it seems that tidal heating would increase the planet's geological activities by a lot, giving the planet a thin carbon dioxide atmosphere constantly stripped by the star's stellar wind and flares. If its orbital eccentricity is high, it might also have 3:2 spin:orbit resonance. Might be an interesting world to look into.

Personally I would like to see TRAPPIST-1. I have a few (pessimistic) ideas of my own about how those planets might be like.

28 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Check again. The seven planets system model was found to be extremely unstable in simulations, and subsequent real world observations only confirmed two planets: Cb and Cc.

30 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Dang. Maybe 4?

Hypercosmic is right. Only 2 confirmed exoplanets in that system. Also, you posted your last post twice.

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

20 minutes ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Aww. Last post twice? No i didnt.

Yeah you did. Look at the post where you said "Whoo, pretty." You posted the same thing twice. Also, with long messages like the one you were responding to, please don't quote the entire thing. It just takes up unnecessary space.

@The Minmus Derp If you could also edit out the duplicate message, that would be great.

I did some intense calculating based off of the numbers @ProtoJeb21 provided for Tau Ceti e, and everything checks out. Through those calculations, I determined that Tau Ceti e's ocean should be 5,157 km deep, and the radius of Tau Ceti e's mantle and iron core should be 7,266 km. This is perfectly in line with what would be expected from an water-world. This means that Tau Ceti e's ocean will be about as deep as Earth's radius.

1 hour ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I did some intense calculating based off of the numbers @ProtoJeb21 provided for Tau Ceti e, and everything checks out. Through those calculations, I determined that Tau Ceti e's ocean should be 5,157 km deep, and the radius of Tau Ceti e's mantle and iron core should be 7,266 km. This is perfectly in line with what would be expected from an water-world. This means that Tau Ceti e's ocean will be about as deep as Earth's radius.

Wow, that's quite something. Very impressive, gotta love to be able to explore the pressure ice layer below.

Speaking of ice, at which depth do you expect the water to 'freeze' from pressure? Would that affect the planet's expected radius?

8 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

Wow, that's quite something. Very impressive, gotta love to be able to explore the pressure ice layer below.

Speaking of ice, at which depth do you expect the water to 'freeze' from pressure? Would that affect the planet's expected radius?

I guess it would effect the overall density of the planet, and therefore influence what it's radius would be, but a lot of these numbers are speculative and/or fuzzy anyways, so it's not like it's a huge deal if we do not account for pressure-frozen water.

Also, KSP considers the radius of a planet to be from the center of the planet to "sea level" (in this case the surface of the ocean) so changing the depth of the water doesn't actually influence the radius of the planet if that makes sense.

On 6/24/2018 at 10:58 PM, Hypercosmic said:

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures Pretty much.

Now that I saw it, Proxima b having atmosphere thick enough to have water, hmm...

I think now we can just about firmly say that Proxima b is dead. I used to think that the threat of flares were overdramatized, but with all the recent powerful flares that have been observed from Proxima Centauri, I’m finally starting to doubt in the planet’s potential habitability. @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures If you want to have a good nearby potentially habitable planet in Real Exoplanets, I would recommend Luyten b. Assuming a perfectly on-edge orbit (a pretty generous assumption), it’s only about 2.9 times the mass of Earth, which, with an Earth-like composition, would give it a radius of about 1.35 R_Earth. It gets only 6% more sunlight than Earth and has a moderately eccentric orbit of e=0.10, keeping it within the habitable zone year-round and maybe preventing it from being tidally locked. There’s also a hot Earth-sized planet in the system as well. 

EDIT: The system GJ 3323 could be a good system to use as well. While further away than Luyten’s Star, the innermost planet is just twice the mass of Earth and gets 1.17 times more sunlight than Earth according to my calculations, compared to 1.21 times for Luyten b. However, GJ 3323b has an unusual eccentric orbit of e=0.28, which would cause the planet’s stellar flux to range from twice to three-quarters that of Earth’s over its 5.4-day year. The second planet, GJ 3323c, could be a rare icy Super-Earth. 

Edited by ProtoJeb21

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I think now we can just about firmly say that Proxima b is dead. I used to think that the threat of flares were overdramatized, but with all the recent powerful flares that have been observed from Proxima Centauri, I’m finally starting to doubt in the planet’s potential habitability. @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures If you want to have a good nearby potentially habitable planet in Real Exoplanets, I would recommend Luyten b. Assuming a perfectly on-edge orbit (a pretty generous assumption), it’s only about 2.9 times the mass of Earth, which, with an Earth-like composition, would give it a radius of about 1.35 R_Earth. It gets only 6% more sunlight than Earth and has a moderately eccentric orbit of e=0.10, keeping it within the habitable zone year-round and maybe preventing it from being tidally locked. There’s also a hot Earth-sized planet in the system as well. 

EDIT: The system GJ 3323 could be a good system to use as well. While further away than Luyten’s Star, the innermost planet is just twice the mass of Earth and gets 1.17 times more sunlight than Earth according to my calculations, compared to 1.21 times for Luyten b. However, GJ 3323b has an unusual eccentric orbit of e=0.28, which would cause the planet’s stellar flux to range from twice to three-quarters that of Earth’s over its 5.4-day year. The second planet, GJ 3323c, could be a rare icy Super-Earth. 

Oh Proxima Centauri b is is no way habitable in REX, despite having water and an atmosphere. The description for Proxima Centauri b is decieving, as I forgot to change it, and I'm pretty sure I forgot to remove oxygen from Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere. Do you think that Proxima Centauri's flares are so insane that there wouldn't even be a chance for Proxima Centauri b to even have any sort of atmosphere?

13 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Oh Proxima Centauri b is is no way habitable in REX, despite having water and an atmosphere. The description for Proxima Centauri b is decieving, as I forgot to change it, and I'm pretty sure I forgot to remove oxygen from Proxima Centauri b's atmosphere. Do you think that Proxima Centauri's flares are so insane that there wouldn't even be a chance for Proxima Centauri b to even have any sort of atmosphere?

Unless Proxima b has a good magnetic field, I’d expect a rather thin atmosphere (0.05-0.3 atm). It’s possible the flares are too much for life to survive on the surface regardless of liquid water or not. 

26 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Proxima Centauri is a flare star and Proxima b is orbiting very close in, so I guess it's very likely. I am not sure if the planet's possible heightened volcanic activities (due to tidal effects) can replenish the atmosphere fast enough, but I don't think they can. Either way, it seems to me that any surface liquid water on this planet is going to have a bad day.

I just read a news about Proxima flaring a flare so big it became visible with naked eyes from Earth.

Edited by Hypercosmic

@ProtoJeb21 @Hypercosmic Okay I think this is what I'm going to do: Proxima Centauri b will have a slightly protective magnetic field, and have atmospheric pressure of around 0.6 atm. Its atmosphere will be mostly CO2 and N. Despite the water on its surface, the entire planet will be lifeless (just as I have it right now) and the entire planet will be irradiated by Poxima's constant flares. Sound good?

23 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

@ProtoJeb21 @Hypercosmic Okay I think this is what I'm going to do: Proxima Centauri b will have a slightly protective magnetic field, and have atmospheric pressure of around 0.6 atm. Its atmosphere will be mostly CO2 and N. Despite the water on its surface, the entire planet will be lifeless (just as I have it right now) and the entire planet will be irradiated by Poxima's constant flares. Sound good?

Tbh I can't imagine Proxima b having any significant atmosphere and surface liquid water. The planet gets constantly blasted by CMEs several times a month, and I don't think a habitable zone terrestrial planet could produce a magnetic field strong enough (thousands of times as strong as Earth according to [1]) to deflect its parent red dwarf's CMEs.

I think having fewer 'Earth-like' planets is better. It makes a discovery of surface liquid water on a rocky exoplanet more rewarding.

I am diving into the fields I'm not good at, so if you find something I stated wrongly, please notify me.

Trying to cite my sources unprofessionally:

[1] iflscience article

[2] paper (link found in [1])

[3] space.com article on Proxima b's atmosphere

Edited by Hypercosmic

9 minutes ago, Hypercosmic said:

Tbh I can't imagine Proxima b having any significant atmosphere and surface liquid water. The planet gets constantly blasted by CMEs several times a month, and I don't think a habitable zone terrestrial planet could produce a magnetic field strong enough (thousands of times as strong as Earth according to [1]) to deflect its parent red dwarf's CMEs.

I think having fewer 'Earth-like' planets is better. It makes a discovery of surface liquid water on a rocky exoplanet more rewarding.

I am diving into the fields I'm not good at, so if you find something I stated wrongly, please notify me.

Trying to cite my sources unprofessionally:

[1] iflscience article

[2] paper (link found in [1])

[3] space.com article on Proxima b's atmosphere

Yeah I'm just trying to be a little optimistic. I'm well aware of how it is more than likely that Proxima Centauri b is simply a boring, irradiated piece of rock endlessly circling Proxima Centauri. In fact, I think I've read those articles you cited before. For the sake of realism, I'll have to completely change Proxima Centauri b into an atmosphere-less world. Looks like I've gotta find another planet to use that texture for... I do agree though, the Earth-like planets should be very rare, so it is more rewarding when you find them. I might only add one planet that actually has life on it.

Oww, lol. Too much? Too few? :D

By the way, I think you could add some large craters surrounded by ejecta rays plus active and dormant volcanoes on Proxima b, since it is likely that the planet experiences some tidal heating and other things, and the relative speed in the system is rather higher than in Solar System. With volcanoes, a thin (maybe visual-only) atmosphere could also be used.

I wonder what the real Proxima b's like...

Edited by Hypercosmic

59 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Maybe 0.3 to 0.4 atm would be better, along with no more than 25% surface water. The thin atmosphere and high gravity would make it an interesting challenge to land on and take off from. 

2 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Maybe 0.3 to 0.4 atm would be better, along with no more than 25% surface water. The thin atmosphere and high gravity would make it an interesting challenge to land on and take off from. 

I kind of agree more with @Hypercosmic. Finding surface water should be something that is rare and exciting. Having the first planet you will likely travel to be one that has water and an atmosphere doesn't really translate to "rare."

4 hours ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

I kind of agree more with @Hypercosmic. Finding surface water should be something that is rare and exciting. Having the first planet you will likely travel to be one that has water and an atmosphere doesn't really translate to "rare."

How about abiotic oxygen in Proxima b’s atmosphere? If it used to have water but still retains an atmosphere, the water could’ve broken into oxygen and hydrogen by Proxima Centuari’s superflares, with the hydrogen escaping. 

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures I have an idea for a really interesting system: EPIC 248435473. If the name sounds familiar, that's because it's a five-planet system I spotted in my Campaign 14 survey. Or, at least, I thought it had five planets. It was just confirmed the other day, and there appear to be SIX planets around EPIC 248435473, which is in a binary pair with EPIC 248435395 (it has a planet of its own). The planets around the main star comprise of a significantly misalinged Ultra Short Period (USP) Mini-Neptune, two hot Mars-like planets, an ice giant with a large core, an ocean world of 45% water by mass, and a planet between the size of Mars and Venus in an eccentric orbit that takes it into the HZ during its winter. The second star, which orbits the primary every 160,000 years, has a candidate Hot Saturn about 9 times the size of Earth.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1806.08368.pdf

Should I just keep this for my Exoplanet Explorers Pack (if I ever return to Kopernicus) or could this be used for Real Exoplanets?

EDIT: Here are my renditions of the six planets around EPIC 248435473

i80Bv9k.png

Edited by ProtoJeb21

23 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

Should I just keep this for my Exoplanet Explorers Pack (if I ever return to Kopernicus) or could this be used for Real Exoplanets?

This definitely seems like an interesting system to add into REX, but if you want to put it into your Exoplanet Explorers Pack, you can go right ahead.

By the way I'm very happy that I have a nice acronym for Real Exoplanets, unlike Extrasolar.