[1.8.1 - 1.12] Photon Sailor 1.7.1 (now with background processing)

FreeThinker

6 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

a question that tangentially connect to this mod: PersistentThrust - did it evolve into PersisentRotation and is it part of this mod?

Thank you in advance.

No, the original code for Solar Sailor was pat of KSPI  , mrsolarsailer combined with the N-Body mod into a the PersistantThrust mod. Based on mrsolarsail , code I made a new Solar sail simulation which evolved into Photon Sailor. The PersisentRotation mod is made  completely separate from everything.

Edited by FreeThinker

7 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

No, the original code for Solar Sailor was pat of KSPI  , mrsolarsailer combined with the N-Body mod into a the PersistantThrust mod. Based on mrsolarsail , code I made a new Solar sail simulation which evolved into Photon Sailor. The PersisentRotation mod is made  completely separate from everything.

Thank you.

So PersistantThrust(mrsolarsail) vs Photon Sailor - can Photon Sailor work with things other than solar sails (like ionic propulsion)? 

25 minutes ago, zer0Kerbal said:

Thank you.

So PersistantThrust(mrsolarsail) vs Photon Sailor - can Photon Sailor work with things other than solar sails (like ionic propulsion)? 

Well I have have some plans to add matter propulsion, which would replace the photons by a neutral matter beam, which would significantly improve efficiency at short ranges, but I never got around to it.

niac2017_image-for-newsletter.jpg

I also had a plan to add Zubrin Dipole Drive, but no one appears to be interested so I let t go.

d658d00037f412930ca40fe364701bc2-730x430

Notice that KSPIE contains a patch to make the stock Ion behave like a real ion engine with persistant trust and can maintain continious prograde/retrograte burn during timewarp, allowing spiraling into and out in a matter of seconds with only a few newton of thrust.

Edited by FreeThinker

15 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

Well I have have some plans to add matter propulsion, which would replace the photons by a matter beam, which would significantly improve efficiency at short ranges, but I never got around to it. I also had a plan to add Zubrin Dipole Drive, but no one appears to be interested so I let t go.

Notice that KSPIE contains a patch to make the stock Ion behave like a real ion engine with persistant trust and can maintain continious prograde/retrograte burn during timewarp.

thank you.

have not installed KSPIE/ Photon Sailor because am still trying to become more than just a KSP novice with the early-mid game.

That is exactly what I wanted PersistantThrust for.

@FreeThinker the absolute mad man! Yoou did it! :D You really did it! A proper solar sail giving my craft a proper drive! A realistic interstellar ship is now possible! By the lords of kerbol! I did some testing with tweakscale and wow the possibilities are endless! Now I'm just unsure about slowing down :D 

RP6Z2JH.png

ejulZ3y.png4

lhzzN7z.png

@FreeThinker Is a laser coming soon? A portable laser I can set up somewhere? Having to keep the ship directly above the ksc makes it difficult. Also even with the largest solar sail, scaling it up, it isn't very effective in terms of pushing a ship, the ship doesn't go very fast, could there be a way in which the scaling of the solar sail increases its power. So far with the smallest stock probe core and an rtg I've been able to get a probe to 0.01% light speed. Need to can get to 10 percent with a giant ship. I have the photon sail maxed out in size to 40x scale. Would really appreciate if this would give it massive power. If you could modify the beamed power parts to enable the ship to accelerate but require a lot of power that would be amazing, as I'd be able to use solar collection to get the ship to 97% light speed or something crazy like that which the venture star does

On 6/24/2018 at 9:50 AM, FreeThinker said:
 Besides being propelled by the photons emitted by the sun, it can also be propelled by photons emitted by KSC beamed power station or by (KSPIE) beamed power transmitters, allow ejecting solar sail to be launched at much higher speeds than with using only solar energy.

@The-Doctor  PhotonSailor treats every transmitting (KSPIE) beamed power station (with compatible wavelength) as a conditional star (stars are unconditional as they cannot be turned off) which is only used when favorable (for the direction you are going). Technically you could make a laser highway between star systems by placing several powerfull beamed power station in between.

Edited by FreeThinker

On 6/6/2019 at 11:14 AM, FreeThinker said:

@The-Doctor  PhotonSailor treats every transmitting (KSPIE) beamed power station (with compatible wavelength) as a conditional star (stars are unconditional as they cannot be turned off) which is only used when favorable (for the direction you are going). Technically you could make a laser highway between star systems by placing several powerfull beamed power station in between.

ok but what kind of speeds are we talking off? I'm not thinking of making a laser highway, not yet at least, but a laser array around Kerbol. If say there was a button that let me target the craft and the lasers, in this case the beamed power transmitters, would aim at the solar sail. If a single one of those could be included in photon sailor, as it's my main interest, it's a lot to ask, but if it's possible, kspie is a lil scary to me, got a lot to do irl and too much to learn in ksp mods kinda puts me off

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello @FreeThinker I was checking the error on the log for another mod but I found also for :

photon-sailor

[LOG 21:16:32.657] Load(Texture): PhotonSail/Parts/solarSail/SailTEX
[ERR 21:16:32.658] DDS: DXT3(1x1, MipMap=False) - DXT3 format is NOT supported. Use DXT5

[WRN 21:16:32.658] Texture load error in 'K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PhotonSail\Parts\solarSail\SailTEX.dds'
[LOG 21:16:32.662] Load(Texture): PhotonSail/Parts/ThinFilmSolarCellSail/DoorTEX
[ERR 21:16:32.663] DDS: DXT3(1024x1024, MipMap=False) - DXT3 format is NOT supported. Use DXT5

[WRN 21:16:32.664] Texture load error in 'K:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\PhotonSail\Parts\ThinFilmSolarCellSail\Door

This have exactly the same solution as I post in real-exo planets thread.

If you look for: "DXT3 format is NOT supported" is easy to find them.

Edited by pmborg

• 5 months later...

Version 1.6.1.1 for Kerbal Space Program 1.8.1 - 1.10

Released on 2020-07-27

• Compiled against KSP 1.8.1
  • Added Background processing for orbital drag effects on Deployed Solar Sails
  • Fixed Golden Solar initial opening in VAB
  • Fixed power supply by Solar Sails
  • Fixed issue where drag caused orbital inclination
Edited by FreeThinker

On 5/31/2019 at 10:02 PM, zer0Kerbal said:

Thank you.

For mods that allows you to use persistent thrust om Ion engine (or any other engine) I recommend the following

Edited by FreeThinker

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting tons of log spam, this message 2-4 times per second:

[EXC 19:08:03.962] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    PhotonSail.VesselData.UpdateMass (Vessel vessel) (at <407e8546feca4b02a483579f7a7a6b19>:0)
    PhotonSail.PhotonBackgroundProcessing.BackgroundSolarSail (ProtoPartSnapshot protoPartSnapshot, Vessel vessel, PhotonSail.VesselData vesselData) (at <407e8546feca4b02a483579f7a7a6b19>:0)
    PhotonSail.PhotonBackgroundProcessing.FixedUpdate () (at <407e8546feca4b02a483579f7a7a6b19>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

The log spam is frequent enough it's causing lag and frame rate drops, and probably background processing is also not working.  I believe I have only two vessels with sails.

My whole log file is here (all 260MB of it, but fortunately it's so repetitive it compresses well with 7zip).  Complete mod list here.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.