[1.8.1 - 1.12] Photon Sailor 1.7.1 (now with background processing)

FreeThinker

1 hour ago, totos_totidis said:

The solar sail parts other than the gold photon sail do not apear in the editor.

Are you sure you put PhotonSail in the GameData folder? because if you didn't the other parts will not show up because they recycle the gold sail assets.

Edited by FreeThinker

Download Version 1.4.2 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 from here

Released on 2018-07-20

• Added more accurate force simulation on sail
  • Added more accurate thermal dynamic model
  • Added unlocking cost to the KSC Phased Array Upgrades
  • Added support for Deadly reentry
  • Added Increased maximum upgraded aperture to 2 km
  • Fixed Solar Reflectivity Aluminum Sail
  • Fixed Spot-size calculation
Edited by FreeThinker

Created a little demonstration of Photon Sail propulsion for KSC Phased Laser Array

Notice KSC elevation angle has to be higher than 70 Degree otherwise the phased array cannot focus on your vessel. This is one of the main limitation of a laser phased array which cannot pivot like a dish transmitter, but has limited to elevation due to the required how jamp packed a laser phased array has to be to function efficiently

Lhewf2s.png

Edited by FreeThinker

download Version 1.4.3 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.4 from here

Released on 2018-07-22

• Added improved beamed power source selection
  • Added improved thermal overheating prevention
  • Added wavelength specific reflection based on sail material
  • Added improved KSC Phased Array Techtree icon
  • Balance: increased tech-requirement of dielectric sail to metaMaterials
  • Fixed issue where sail upgrade was visible under offworld Manufacturing which it should have been under meta Materials
Edited by FreeThinker

@FreeThinker Well, imho Curseforge always was kinda pita, for example it doesn't allow downloading with a download manager addon like DTA, it has to be done with the native Firefox download... (I prefer DTA because it retrieves the time stamp and I could add mirrors, resume downloads etc.)

Edited by Gordon Dry

Found an interesting new concept called dipole drive.

What realy cool about it is that is a kind of hybrid between a solar sail and electric sail. The best thing is that it is reversible allowing to either repel or accelerate ions.

The main feature is that is consist of 2 electric meshes, one positive and another negative. Depending in the polarity it will either repel or accelerate protons

Since I already build bother solar sail and magnetic sail, this should be too hard to implement

see also

https://www.centauri-dreams.org/2018/06/29/the-dipole-drive-a-new-concept-for-space-propulsion/

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Turf said:

I presume that firing an array of laser does not cost anything? I think  it could use funds to charge the laser.

Currently it is free, but I initially planned to make it for hire, but what would be an acceptable rate? Notice that the power and aperture upgrades also cost funds.

One idea is to charge 1 fund /Gigawatt/sec at minimum and modify the cost by the unlocked reactor power and solar power techs (which would logically make electric power cheaper)

Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.4.4 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5

Released on 2018-08-05

• Compiled against KSP 1.4.5
  • Added ThinFilmSolarCellSail (texture by SilverSliver)
  • Added Improved interactivity with KSPIE (requires KSPIE 1.19.4)
  • Added ElectricCharge Power buffer
  • Fixed overheat prevention issue caused by drag
  • Fixed maneuverability issue with sail animation
Edited by FreeThinker

Version 1.4.5 for Kerbal Space Program 1.4.5

Released on 2018-08-11

• Added translucency to Dielectric Sail (requires TexturesUnlimited)
  • Added technology unlocked efficiency upgrades for Dielectric Sail
Edited by FreeThinker

On 7/5/2018 at 1:07 AM, FreeThinker said:

Not realy, I have been saying I wanted to implement this for quite some time. This mod is also an attempt to modularize KSPIE which due to it complexity and size many people seem to afraid to even try.

I dont think size is an issue for most people. But the underlying reason may be related. I personally do not use KSPI simply due to the fact that it contains parts that I already have in game more or less, like fuel tanks. If KSPI would release a version thats similar to MRS LITE (i.e. bundle only the key interesting parts that cannot be given by other meens; like the arrays and what not.) I would be more inclined to install it and play around with it. Thats just my opinion though.

Your sails are coming along nicely btw, keep up the good work bud!

Edited by Jesusthebird

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, Jesusthebird said:

I personally do not use KSPI simply due to the fact that it contains parts that I already have in game more or less, like fuel tanks. If KSPI would release a version thats similar to MRS LITE (i.e. bundle only the key interesting parts that cannot be given by other meens; like the arrays and what not.) I would be more inclined to install it and play around with it. Thats just my opinion though.

Well all Fuel tanks have technically already moved to IFS, so that would no longer be a concern

On 8/30/2018 at 2:40 AM, FreeThinker said:

Well all Fuel tanks have technically already moved to IFS, so that would no longer be a concern

why would kspi still be 148mb then? shouldnt that have been reduced by some amount? seems pretty high still if thats the case

(off topic for sure...sorry bout that)

Edited by Jesusthebird

18 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

why would kspi still be 148mb then? shouldnt that have been reduced by some amount? seems pretty high still if thats the case

(off topic for sure...sorry bout that)

Less than 1% constitute storage (mainly some remnant remain). The majority of space is used for beamed power, engines, radiators and isru

• 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. Here is a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdzcbltobydaoj/saves for LoadingScreenManager.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Yes it is an odd name but it does contain the following:

Spoiler

[ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading SolarSailNavigator, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.Assembly:GetTypes (bool)
  at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__33.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
ModuleManager.<ProcessPatch>d__33:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

I am not sure but this looks a little unpleasant.

Oh and this:

Spoiler

MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading SolarSailNavigator, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Plus plenty of this:

Spoiler

Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'Navigator'

Edited by Apaseall

4 hours ago, Apaseall said:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. Here is a log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sdzcbltobydaoj/saves for LoadingScreenManager.1.output_log.rar?dl=0

Yes it is an odd name but it does contain the following:

Hide contents

[ModuleManager] Post run call threw an exception in loading SolarSailNavigator, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at ModuleManager.MMPatchLoader+<ProcessPatch>d__33.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception)
ModuleManager.Logging.UnityLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
ModuleManager.Logging.ModLogger:Exception(String, Exception)
ModuleManager.<ProcessPatch>d__33:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

I am not sure but this looks a little unpleasant.

Oh and this:

Hide contents

MechJeb moduleRegistry creation threw an exception in LoadComputerModules loading SolarSailNavigator, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.LoadComputerModules () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Plus plenty of this:

Hide contents

Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'Navigator'

Not sure but possibly this is caused by using incompatible versions. Please make sure KSPIE and PhotonSailor are the latest version

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.