For what Rx on prescription stand for?

Pawelk198604

I'm from Poland , i had Asperger Syndrome aside of that i'm totally normal guy :-) in Poland in old medical prescription from 80' in Poland when we was still commie to late 90's when we ware free there was Rx on medical prescription was Rx, now is Rp in Poland we call medical prescription as "Recepta" now our medical prescription stand big Rp. followed by dot. and medication that is prescribed, doctors print in computer, than some doctors especially old one drawing lines by pen, as the if thought, patient is conman that might self-prescribe med themselves xD 

So returning to Rx i saw one American medical movies and tv shows that American and British use Rx on prescription too, and knew German use it too. 

My doctor prescribe me Hydroxyzine and Nitrazepam 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrazepam for my insomnia 
And Seronil SSRI Fluoxetinum/Fluoxetine 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoxetine 
for my mood problem 

I take Mataformine for my insulin resistance, I do not like taking drugs but I have to, I'm lucky I do not have to pay a lot for it because in my country we have universal health services, and in large part medicines are refunded by our government :-) 

I think Rx look more cool xD than Rp and Poland should go back to it, but i wonder what it's means?

Edited by Pawelk198604

15 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

"Prescription" (and recipe) comes from the Latin verb "recipe," which means "to take." The Rx (or more accurately ) was shorthand for that word, and remained with us when for whatever reason we started saying "prescription" instead.

In medical shorthand, we also use Dx for Diagnosis, and Hx for History. 

Or at least I did, I'm only 98% sure those are officially recognized. 

You can be prescribed anything, including off-the-shelf drugs like for example Ibuprofen. "Rx" refers to drugs that are available only by prescription.

I always presumed that "Rx" was just shorthand for "prescription" - pRescripXion.

5 hours ago, Gargamel said:

You'll need three pairs of shades, one with tape on the bridge, to make that joke....

Or be this guy...

97fc0b9faf2f4a2728a10b716fb2ab622a4af523

Edit: which is where I learned the term “differential diagnosis “

And no, it’s not lupus&) 

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.