linuxgurugamer

[1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.7] PEBKAC Industries: Launch Escape System

Recommended Posts

I have a questions.  I've got the orange atlas style LES on a MK1 pod.  abort off the ground, everything works as planned.  If I abort in flight, the tower starts to pull me away a bit then just tears off and continues on its own merry way leaving me still sitting about a rocket length directly above the booster, which promptly ploughs into me.  I have no decoupler in between the LES and my ship, I tried it with one and I got the same result.  I figured the decoupler wasn't strong enough so I removed it and I get the same result.

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, Eugene Moreau said:

I have a questions.  I've got the orange atlas style LES on a MK1 pod.  abort off the ground, everything works as planned.  If I abort in flight, the tower starts to pull me away a bit then just tears off and continues on its own merry way leaving me still sitting about a rocket length directly above the booster, which promptly ploughs into me.  I have no decoupler in between the LES and my ship, I tried it with one and I got the same result.  I figured the decoupler wasn't strong enough so I removed it and I get the same result.

Any ideas?

Try autostrutting between the two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, oof? said:

Any planned updates soon?

None planned, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

None planned, why?

I am seeing an issue with the small orange escape tower not connecting to the pod/mk16parachute like it's bigger counterparts. I'm playing with Restock and Restock+, so I don't know if it's caused by changes to the parachutes from those mods that's causing the issue, but I am fairly certain I was seeing it before I started using the restock mods. The bigger launch escape systems will still connect to the small mk16 parachute, so it's just affecting the small orange escape tower. Video of tests below:

 

Edited by vardicd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, vardicd said:

I am seeing an issue with the small orange escape tower not connecting to the pod/mk16parachute like it's bigger counterparts. I'm playing with Restock and Restock+, so I don't know if it's caused by changes to the parachutes from those mods that's causing the issue, but I am fairly certain I was seeing it before I started using the restock mods. The bigger launch escape systems will still connect to the small mk16 parachute, so it's just affecting the small orange escape tower.

That's because the little parachute doesn't have an additional node added.

For now, find the file in the Pebkac directory:

Pebkac\Parts\LaunchEscape\MM_Chute.cfg

and add the following to the end:

@PART[parachuteSingle]
{
	node_stack_bottomup = 0.0, -0.120649, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
	%attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
}

However, there is an odd interaction with the tower and parachute, I've had the small LES exploding upon launch with this config.  Until I figure it out, I'm not releasing this (it may be why it wasn't included).

I have been able to narrow this down to an issue with the bounds, it is only a problem when you have either the Flea or a FL-T100/FL-T200 + engine combo.   So you can go ahead and use the patch above, as long as the engine is more than about 1m below the bottom of the capsule (assuming the mk1 capsule)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 1.4.1.1

  • Added missing bottomup node to the small Mk16 parachute
  • Added stagingIcon to the Mk1
  • Updated the tags for the Mk1

Known issue:  If the engine is too close to the bottom of the Mk1, then it will be blocked and the Mk1 will explode from heat.  Only an issue for the Flea and FL-T100/FL-T200 tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2019 at 2:32 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.4.1.1

  • Added missing bottomup node to the small Mk16 parachute
  • Added stagingIcon to the Mk1
  • Updated the tags for the Mk1

Known issue:  If the engine is too close to the bottom of the Mk1, then it will be blocked and the Mk1 will explode from heat.  Only an issue for the Flea and FL-T100/FL-T200 tank

The bottomup node point is a little low this fits better:

 

@PART[parachuteSingle]
{
    node_stack_bottomup = 0.0, 0.15, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    %attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
}

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 1.4.1.2

  • Adjusted the bottomup node on the mk16 chute

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 1.4.1.3

  • Fixed download link in .version file

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Blah, Spacedock website appears to be down. Guess I'll download from your Github site and manually install.

By the way, thank you for picking up and maintaining this mod!

Update: Ok, I found my download problem. I updated my DNS server used and downloaded via CKAN. All is well now.

Edited by GJNelson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With recent versions of the mod running on KSP 1.6.1, the Jettison LES funtion doesn't seem to work. I tested with a clean install and no other mods. When I try to jettison the tower, either through staging or by right-click and selecting 'Jettison LES', the game throws an error in the log and nothing happens. I tried installing the mod both manually and via CKAN (the latter shows it as compatible with 1.6.1).

gkGq1YC.png

The older 1.4.1 version of the mod works with KSP 1.6.1 and there seems to be no problems with the newer ones on KSP 1.7 so I guess it could have to do with which version of the game the mod is compiled against.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SBKerman said:

With recent versions of the mod running on KSP 1.6.1, the Jettison LES funtion doesn't seem to work. I tested with a clean install and no other mods. When I try to jettison the tower, either through staging or by right-click and selecting 'Jettison LES', the game throws an error in the log and nothing happens. I tried installing the mod both manually and via CKAN (the latter shows it as compatible with 1.6.1).

gkGq1YC.png

The older 1.4.1 version of the mod works with KSP 1.6.1 and there seems to be no problems with the newer ones on KSP 1.7 so I guess it could have to do with which version of the game the mod is compiled against.

And this is why I have a file compiled for each version of thr game, going back to 1.4.5.

Go to this URL and download the appropriate one (game version is the first three numbers)

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PebkacLaunchEscape2/releases/tag/1.4.1.3

 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

And this is why I have a file compiled for each version of thr game, going back to 1.4.5.

Go to this URL and download the appropriate one (game version is the first three numbers)

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PebkacLaunchEscape2/releases/tag/1.4.1.3

 

Awesome! Thank you. I was using the Spacedock link from the OP. Should've thought to check github too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SBKerman said:

Should've thought to check github too.

This is common sense. I learned that the hard way back then...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

This is common sense. I learned that the hard way back then...

Hmmm.  Common.  Sense.  Two words that appear frequently together, but the attributes of which rarely are  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mk 2 (BPC) has some issues. If you're using a chute on top of the Mk1-3 command pod, the command pod is clipping through the BPC and if you're using the SM-6A Service Module and the Junior Docking Port (Apollo like configuration) the BPC is too short. As KSP has an integrated fairing system wouldn't it be better to completely remove the BPC version and add the fairing functionality to the LES Mk2 just top-down and remove the ability to jettison it so it will stay in one piece? So it could be used in various configurations with the Mk1-3 Command Pod and also with other Pods.

Za9cSQD.jpg

bEWYIZ0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have long had this problem since my typical configuration is a RealChute stack chute with a docking port on top.  The cover is too short with that combination but I do not expect mods to be able to cover all player part construction madness.  I believe the SM-6a came after the mod was made and I believe that LGG (who goes above and beyond with all the great work keeping mods going)  may only be updating and caretaking this mod and not re-making models which may be restricted by the original maker's license.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Plz...Try it, it should work.

And you really shouldn't bother mod authors with questions like this, especially when it's still so new.  We do this for free, with no compensation, in our spare time.  Repeat:  Spare Time

There have been a number of mod authors over the years who have quit modding because of being pestered like this.  I know you are impatient, but we have lives outside KSP.

Also, in about 98% of the time, mods for 1.6.1 will work without any issue on 1.7.  It's far better to test it, and, if you have an issue, to post a polite message with an attached log file describing what happened.

On 5/31/2019 at 10:26 PM, jpkerman said:

I have long had this problem since my typical configuration is a RealChute stack chute with a docking port on top.  The cover is too short with that combination but I do not expect mods to be able to cover all player part construction madness.  I believe the SM-6a came after the mod was made and I believe that LGG (who goes above and beyond with all the great work keeping mods going)  may only be updating and caretaking this mod and not re-making models which may be restricted by the original maker's license.

It's not a matter of license, it's lack of knowledge on how to model parts.

And a lack of time

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release, 1.4.1.4

  • Thanks to github user @mrprobot for these:
    • Fixed Mk16 node
    • Updated part descriptions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's not a matter of license, it's lack of knowledge on how to model parts. And a lack of time

Maybe I can look into it, I think we don't have to change the model and just add the fairing function to the bottom of the LES Mk2, but I don't know if KSP allows building fairings upside down.

Thank you for merging my pull request and an even bigger thank you for all your hard work for the KSP community!! Is there a way do donate you some money for beer or coffee?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oOScarfacEOo said:

Maybe I can look into it, I think we don't have to change the model and just add the fairing function to the bottom of the LES Mk2, but I don't know if KSP allows building fairings upside down.

Thank you for merging my pull request and an even bigger thank you for all your hard work for the KSP community!! Is there a way do donate you some money for beer or coffee?

While I prefer Patreon for several reasons, I'll list both:

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate to be a bother, but is anyone else having issues with the latest KSP version + Making History and Breaking ground?

I need to do a bit more testing, but all works well with the abort sequence but the tower doesn't decouple/jettison on it's own, nor can I add an additional action group for that purpose.  If I'm understanding this correctly, adding the parts is the only steps required?  I shouldn't have to setup the action groups correct?

Love the idea behind this mod, so hoping it's me doing something stupid on my end!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ty89m said:

Hate to be a bother, but is anyone else having issues with the latest KSP version + Making History and Breaking ground?

I need to do a bit more testing, but all works well with the abort sequence but the tower doesn't decouple/jettison on it's own, nor can I add an additional action group for that purpose.  If I'm understanding this correctly, adding the parts is the only steps required?  I shouldn't have to setup the action groups correct?

Love the idea behind this mod, so hoping it's me doing something stupid on my end!

Thanks!

You need Bob’s Panic Box to do it automatically

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.