FlyBy and science

Hi,

In Career mode, there's a contract that asks for a flyby on the Mun and to get science from it. However, if I try to get science during the flyby, although I'm in the SOI of the Mun, I get the science from Kerbin upper space, which doesn't fulfil the contract. I guess it's because I'm, in fact, still orbiting Kerbin.

So, does anyone know if I need to get into an orbit around the Mun to get this contract fulfilled, although it says only flyby, not orbit? Or do I need to get closer to the Mun during the flyby, in which case, how close the flyby needs to be?

Thanks!

Marconi

No, something is wrong. Either you took the experiment while you were outside the Mun's SOI, or you have a mod that's causing an error.

Any experiment that is done even 1 meter inside the Mun's SOI will return Mun science. Not "Kerbin High" science.

A flyby must pass through the sphere of influence of the body in question. Looks like you're pretty new to the game, so do you know what that means? In this first picture, the yellow part of my projected path line passes through Mun's sphere of influence (SOI), and is therefore a flyby. 

vb3ziq9.png 

Once the ship actually gets there, the colors of the lines change. In this pic, the ship is inside Mun's SOI

Ithe5Ah.png

As long as you're taking your science readings within that sphere around Mun, you should meet the contract's requirements. 

Thanks guys, that confirms what I thought it should be, so I must have done something wrong. 

Yes, I'm very new to the game, but I've learned what a SOI is... but maybe I'm still confused.  :-)

Let's try it again!

/Marconi

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's what I missed: the two icons that indicate when you get in and out of an SOI. I probably waited too long to take the science logs and by the time I did it, I was already out of the Mun's SOI.

Thanks for your help guys!

/Marconi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.