Making a SSME Tripropellant Engine.

So i've been toying around with engine configs and looking at some engines i'd like to try to get working using stock configs. one engine i came across was a single nozzle variant of the classic tripropellant engine, the RD-701.  Similar to the thread below, i've tried modifying the config, this time using the SSME, and have not been able to get some of the config parts working, with various attempts yielding a lack of gimbal, emissives, or even thrust and fuel consumption at all. How do you sucessfully merge the configs of two engines to work properly, as well as make an RO config for said engine to work properly within Realism Overhaul?

I can't help you with any RO config but I can tell you this:

1. If you're trying to setup a mode-switching engine, study the stock dual-mode engines (Panther and Rapier) to see how the config you want looks and works. note the presence of the following things:
    • More than one ModuleEnginesFX
    • More than one ModuleAlternator
    • MultiModeEngine module
    • The EFFECTS node where you program the plumes
  2. Hint: for plumes, you're going to need a sub-node (inside of EFFECTS) for each engine mode. You can't make more than one mode use the same EFFECTS sub-node like running_closed or power_wet. However, you can copy one and then just change the name there, and link the other ModuleEnginesFX node to that copy.
  3. You're going to need to add dependency to (require the presence of) this mod in order two have more than 2 modes on an engine. Stock only allows 2 modes. ...
  4. In the case of tripropellant, the one tiny thing you have to do is add a PROPELLANT node after the ones for LiquidFuel and Oxidizer within ModuleEnginesFX then adjust the ratios for all three of these. If you use IntakeAir, be sure to include the key "IgnoreforIsp = true" (as shown in any jet engine part config) or else your dV calculations will be limited by the tiny amount of IntakeAir held by your intakes.
  5. Be sure that all your curly braces are paired correctly, that there are no excess decimal points in numbers, and that everything has capitalization where needed. Part configs are case-sensitive.
Edited by JadeOfMaar

Alright, so i took a look at the rapier and panther configs, and managed to get the engine to correctly swap between modes and consume fuel correctly, however I have the interstage mesh showing up for the engine when in editor and flight, as well as a lack of any emissives so far. The engine does gimbal correctly, however the interstage does not move, and I am unsure of how to delete it.

https://gist.github.com/Initial-Dee/fc01305b7b06c689ce4580b3e7f13cb0

@Initial-Dee I'm not aware of the SSME having an interstage mesh or a heat emissive. One thing I can point out is that you cannot add a transform or an animation to a part and you can only use textures that are linked to the part (the links are within the .mu for it). Let the two ModuleEnginesFX use the same thrustTransform, and likely, remove the animation things that concern jet nozzles and heat or throttle.

@JadeOfMaar So I removed the parts you told me to remove, and have let the two engine modes use the same thrustTransform, however I am still unable to get any emissive in stock. This should not be too much of an issue, as I intend on using the engine with RealPlume and Ven's Stock Revamp, which is a whole other set of issues with configs there. Thanks for the help!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.