[WIP] [1.3+] Apollo Saturn V Launch Umbilical Tower (LUT) and Mobile Launcher

Christronomy

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, after endless frustration with the propellant piping on side 3 of the LUT, I found and requested admission into the LUT Yahoo Group and they were kind enough to oblige. Their data is a treasure trove!

xnjLGoJ.png

This is my intermediately detailed take on the LOX valve complex on level 30' of the LUT. This ran to Swing Arm 1 and supplied and vented LOX to the S-IC stage. All at only 2,150 polys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Swing Arm 7 (S-IVB Forward) is done! This was super difficult and may have turned out too high-poly. I'll have to probably cut down on the piping and/or cable runs a little.

Aoitwz9.png

Swing Arm 4 remains. Only one of us shall triumph.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Michael Smith I'll tell you what, once I'm done with this thing, I'll upload it to Sketchfab as well so you can explore at will. Do bear in mind that this is a bit simplified for the sake of being runnable in KSP.

Excuses time! I just moved to a new city and started a new job, so I've been a little less than dedicated to the tower over the last few weeks. I promise I will resume the very instant I am able. It would be awesome to get it released in time for the 50th anniversary!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm finally back under way on this project!

Obviously I didn't get it finished in time for the 50th anniversary, but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Starting a new job meant turning in my old laptop and getting a new one, so getting all of my software, files, and references squared away was an epic pain. In any case, I've started Swing Arm 4!

efdxiYf.png

• 10 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 12:17 PM, Christronomy said:

I'm finally back under way on this project!

Obviously I didn't get it finished in time for the 50th anniversary, but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Starting a new job meant turning in my old laptop and getting a new one, so getting all of my software, files, and references squared away was an epic pain. In any case, I've started Swing Arm 4!

efdxiYf.png

Any updates?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/26/2018 at 11:36 PM, Christronomy said:

SLdpr4J.png

Hello all!

Just wanted to share a project I've been working on for entirely too long. I started out wanting to create a more generic launch platform for general use in KSP, but quickly snowballed into an attempted recreation of the Apollo Mobile Launcher and Launch Umbilical Tower. I remember seeing the outstanding documentary For All Mankind when I was a kid and absolutely -loving- the shot from the elevator of the tower going up and seeing the behemoth Saturn V squatting right in front of the camera. Further review  informed me that this elevator was actually located on the Mobile Service Structure (MSS), but I was nonetheless inspired to attempt to recreate the launch-day experience of an Apollo astronaut.

So far I have created the launch platform (with some interior, even), the ground support structures, the LUT itself, the hammerhead crane, the damper arm, and swing arms 9 and 6 - all with animations. As stated earlier, I wanted the user to be able to experience the actual route taken by the astronauts on launch-day, so I have included functionality to take the ground-to-pad elevator, walk down the mobile launcher corridor to the elevator room, ride the elevator to tower level 320', then traverse the walkway and crew access arm to the Saturn V command module. The screenshots included here are adapted for the FASA Saturn V.

Album a/wfQxQ41 will appear when post is submitted

I'm trying to gauge community interest in this thing in an attempt to motivate myself to finish it.

Here are some videos of the project:

The Apollo Astronaut Pad Experience

Demo of currently implemented features

TODO:

Swing Arms:
Lights?
Complete arms 1-5 and 7-8

Mobile Launcher:
Add Blast Shield Tether Tie-Downs

0' - 80':
Add equipment boxes, etc.
Complete water pipes / quench stuff

100' - 360':

Add equipment boxes, etc.
Complete water pipes / quench stuff
Complete Propellant pipes

200' - 300':

Add swing arm walkway supports
300 - Bottom of umbMount z-fighting its support

320':

Add escape lines? Car (9-seater)?

380':

Crane 25 TON 10 TON sign

So sad that you stopped working on it was one of the rare beatiful mod with a good start ;.;

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.