How To Land an Orbital Rocket Booster

The SpaceK R&D are trying to figure out how to perfect their reusable rocket program. They asked for your help on how to land a First Stage Booster or FSB. They want the payload margin to be large for their satellites. Happy launching's and landings!

This challenge is simple. land an orbital rocket booster without parachutes.

Requirements: The booster must reach orbit then come back down to Kerbin and land successfully without detaching anything but fairings and the payload.

Payload Minimum:    1.25m-1.5 Tons     1.875m- 2.5 Tons   2.5m- 4.5 Tons   3.75m- 7.5 Tons   5m- 10 Tons (If you have clustered cores then do whatever the cores are closest to in size)

Point Bonuses:  

It's Good to See You Again: land somewhere on Kerbin. 30pts

Aboat Time!: land your booster on a platform in one of Kerbin's oceans. 100pts

Backyard Touchdown! Land in the flat are around KSC. 50pts

Honey I'm Home!: land inside KSC. 60points

Boosterseye! land back on the launch mount. 100pts

Pivotal part: Use stock hinges for landing legs. 25pts

Alien Technology: use part mods. -10pts per part

Lazy: Use autopilot for launch and/or landing. -20pts

Dangerous life: Use a suicide burn for the final landing burn. 50pts

Fashion statement: your booster/ rocket looks cool. 20pts (awarded by me)

Having some fun: have an interesting/creative payload. 20pts (awarded by me)

Weight Lifter: Beat the weight minimum. 25pts

Good luck everyone.

Leaderboards:

Stock-Orbital Stock-Suborbital Modded-Orbital Modded-Suborbital
1. Kerbolitto 75pts 1. JacobJHC 85pts 1. 1.TheEnderman 90pts
2. 2.  2. 2.
3. 3. 3. 3.
4. 4. 4. 4.
5. 5. 5. 5.

Edited by Natokerbal

This mission I flew earlier probably doesn't count for this challenge, since the first stage boosters never went orbital. But I couldn't resist linking to it anyway, because it was really, really fun. :D Anyway, I suspect the booster design could be pretty easily adapted for this challenge.

Unfortunately I never got around to editing and posting the video. Partly because the recording quality turned out really terrible. :(

Edited by vyznev

23 minutes ago, vyznev said:

This mission I flew earlier probably doesn't count for this challenge, since the first stage boosters never went orbital. But I couldn't resist linking to it anyway, because it was really, really fun. :D Anyway, I suspect the booster design could be pretty easily adapted for this challenge.

Unfortunately I never got around to editing and posting the video. Partly because the recording quality turned out really terrible. :(

That makes me wanna count it but I dont wanna change the rules for one person. great mission though.

Can there be a category for boosters that don't go to orbit? I have a semi-functional Falcon heavy where the center core can get to orbit with the payload but the boosters stay suborbital.

Here is my entry !

I already designed a ton of heavy lifters so I just loaded one on a new sandbox.

This is the S4 80t.

8lpri0.jpg

it has 4 Vectors and 1 Mammoth under an S4-512 + some other tinier tanks, with a 5m. fairing on top. This contraption can lift 80t. to LKO + the weight of a big fairing and is really pleasant to fly. When deorbiting, both Mk3 to 3.75m. Adapter creates a ton of drag and are extremly heat tolerant, they can also whistand 50m/s impact but a little retro-burn makes things a bit more stable.

This booster also have big brothers, a 110t. variant, a 150t., 300t., and a 500t. just as efficient :D

Spoiler

Launchpad :

yo23mp.jpg

Gravity Turn :

8t6k37.jpg

Circularisation :

i2dw15.jpg

j37ccf.jpg

Payload : This is a 72t. Station with Lab, Com, Habitat, Science experiments and 2670dV on a Skipper

ln4af1.jpg

616f6w.jpg

Deorbiting : The Mk3 adapters are creating a heavy drag

ad87h6.jpg

Landing just a bit north of the KSC :(

r1m484.jpg

I forgot to take a pic with chutes deployed, it has 6 mk16XL on an engine plate under the fairing, + 2 on the sides !

Edited by Kerbolitto

2 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Can there be a category for boosters that don't go to orbit? I have a semi-functional Falcon heavy where the center core can get to orbit with the payload but the boosters stay suborbital.

yes I will make that

20 hours ago, Natokerbal said:

Aboat Time!: land your booster on a platform in one of Kerbin's oceans. 100pts

What if your booster has floaties so it doesn't need a platform?

Also what if I launch from the desert site and aim for KSC? Would that be different if there wasn't a boostback needed to get to KSC?

Also Also what if I have a reusable second stage?

Edited by JacobJHC

22 minutes ago, JacobJHC said:

What if your booster has floaties so it doesn't need a platform?

Also what if I launch from the desert site and aim for KSC? Would that be different if there wasn't a boostback needed to get to KSC?

Also Also what if I have a reusable second stage?

It has to be a platform

that would be ok to do that

the point of the challenge is for first stages

Mission complete and it was a success! Ive had this design in the back of my head since like december. I saw this post and thought: "Welp, here we go..". Now: Onto the ship. The main mods i used were the "procedural parts" mod and the "TweakScale" mod. The ship is named the 'Megathron', as the Megathron is my favorite ship in Eve Online. Yes, that payload is a rocket, made completely from parts from the "Sounding Rockets!" mod. Also JacobJHC notice me senpai you are senpai. (im the one that comments the dumb memes on your videos)

Video Link: 

yes its mine my forum user and yt user dont match.

Quick note about the video: first 2 launches are fails, 3rd is the gudness.

hope you like it, that is all my dudes, goodbye.

Edited by TheEnderman
didnt mention payload

quick note, my rocket first stage is 3 3.75 m cores, s2 is 3.75m. Reusable i should be able to do 65t, expendable 81t. I would have to test just to be sure though.

on my yt i am uploading a ton of videos with this rocket if that will help.

1 hour ago, TheEnderman said:

quick note, my rocket first stage is 3 3.75 m cores, s2 is 3.75m. Reusable i should be able to do 65t, expendable 81t. I would have to test just to be sure though.

on my yt i am uploading a ton of videos with this rocket if that will help.

YES. YES.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, Natokerbal said:

Everyone your designs are great so far! I can't wait to see what you and other people make

Reusable stuff in KSP is always fun to watch.

not to design though. I wish I still had a picture of my first reusable booster, sadly lost it after I spilled water on my old laptop.

The way I did it, was to stuff tons and tons of fuel over an engine until it'd get down to ~1.2TWR and see how much I'd got left once in orbit. Then I removed this fuel weight, replaced it by payload capacity and modified the rocket to accomodate a fairing + some chutes.

I'm using the same sheet from my 80 tons to the 500t., which are upgrades of Twinboars design.

All those variants got something like 15-16% payload capacity to LKO.

Edited by Kerbolitto

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.