Footprints

Plus, all the footprints and tire tracks from the original Apollo missions on the moon caused global warming on the moon. Temperature of the moon increased like 3-4 degrees after the missions. Turns out the disturbed regolith was darker so absorbed more thermal radiation from the sun.

9 hours ago, DAL59 said:

It wouldn't take up much space to store the coordinates of each footprint.

But the loading times...   While it obviously be an optional setting, I cannot see this helping large part count ships or loading times when entering physics range much. 

We had them from a mod before. I cant remember which one. A graphic mod, like EVE or Scatterer featured footprints for a while. As far as I can remember the performance hit was acceptable. Wonder why it disappeared though.

On 6/27/2018 at 4:26 AM, Gargamel said:

But the loading times...   While it obviously be an optional setting, I cannot see this helping large part count ships or loading times when entering physics range much. 

Then disable it if it's causing problems. If you go with the logic of "won't work with potato computers / big crafts", then 90% of the features should be scrapped. No terrain scatters, significantly fewer buildings, planetary terrain textures reduced further, reduce the maximum number of polygons per part to below 128 (currently 255/256 iirc). Point is, you can't only service the potato community as then you'd be doing the 'decent' computer community a disservice. Make the game run efficiently and then leave the rest to each person on a player by player basis. As long as the game runs well on a potato, then additional graphical additions (like this one), won't cause problems as the game runs well already on it's lowest settings.

7 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then disable it if it's causing problems. If you go with the logic of "won't work with potato computers / big crafts", then 90% of the features should be scrapped. No terrain scatters, significantly fewer buildings, planetary terrain textures reduced further, reduce the maximum number of polygons per part to below 128 (currently 255/256 iirc). Point is, you can't only service the potato community as then you'd be doing the 'decent' computer community a disservice. Make the game run efficiently and then leave the rest to each person on a player by player basis. As long as the game runs well on a potato, then additional graphical additions (like this one), won't cause problems as the game runs well already on it's lowest settings.

Absolutely right.  I think I was grumpy with a migraine when I posted that. 

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Absolutely right.  I think I was grumpy with a migraine when I posted that. 

Ah makes sense. Life problems can get in the way with being reasonable. Hope you're better now.

Also let's get this back on topic.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

https://github.com/StollD/KopernicusExpansion-Continued/releases

download the EVAFootprints module and install like any other mod. 

BUT the planets have to be set up with kopernicus for this to work. SVT enables it for stock planets if you want something quick to try out. 

I am not sure if this will work with the latest kopernicus but it should. Remember that kopernicus is only updated to 1.4.3 as of right now.

Edited by Galileo

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:26 AM, Gargamel said:

It would make the game inrealistic but a good solution is to make them last until the body is unloaded.After that the footprints disapard.

they could add an option for máximum performence that allows only a limited number of footprints(for example the limit is three,When the third footprint is loaded the first one dissapears

Bob: "What are these strange marks on the ground?"

Bill: "Looks like something was dragged along, here."

Bob: "Looks more like an octopus came through-..."

Both: "OH, NOO!!"

*they turn around in time to see their lander - their ride home - suddenly tip over and blow up on its own*

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While i cant justify making it a persistent feature, it would be really nice to have something akin to tire treads that fade out over time (make it long enough to be noticeable but fade out over maybee a minute or so), same with kerbals if possible (albeit i rarely have kerbals leave the safety of their tanks and bunkers during a war so im more interested in tracks making marks on the ground).

This shouldnt eat too much performance and would really add to immersion especially if it was biome based so some spots leave deep obvious tracks like in sand and others less so.  That and while we are at it maybee add a very light dust effect while driving like the one from collisionfx mod or whatever it was called.

• 1 year later...

So, with 1.10 we received a lot of new stuff. Most of them good, like decals and the magnetometer boom. Well, I think an important thing to add to the game would be stock footprints. For example, they could work like the Kopernicus Expansion Footprints mod. Stock footprints would:

• Add to the visual experience
  • Give new players a memory of their first Mun/Minmus landing
  • Let players reenact the first steps on the Moon/Mun
  • Help Cinematics
  • Again, visuals

13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Should be done via a mod and not Squad.

Why do you constantly bash SQUAD for everything they do? Here you're assuming that a feature they haven't even implemented yet is just going to be badly done, because it would be made by them. And that is essentially the definition of prejudice. Maybe you should just keep an open mind and see what it's like if/when this is put into the stock game, rather than going in with preconceived notions that everything that SQUAD makes is bad :wink:

Anyway, on topic: Yes, stock footprints would be nice. There would have to be some sort of load-on-demand system so that all of your footprints don't load in at once and tank the framerate.

16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Why not?

Because in a lot of cases it's unnecessary. Rather than getting mad and complaining loudly about it, just calmly state what it is that you disagree with and maybe suggest a way they could improve it. This way, you're more likely to actually have whatever you dislike improved, and less likely to start an argument. People generally prefer constructive criticism to being yelled at.

Anyway, this is probably stepping into 'backseat moderation' territory, and I'm not in the mood for an argument :)

Edited by RealKerbal3x
Wrong emoticon :P

And snack wrappers laying on ground where the Kerbals were eating.

Also as breadcrumbs to find the way back.

And what would be especially great are the custom captions on stones like "Bob was here!", "Kerbin'2024", etc.

Stickers.

Like the custom decals of rocket but sticky decals for rocks.

When you get enough close to a rock (or to a craft, part, etc) to "Climb", you get a menu option "Stick a sticker", enter a text, and the decal gets attached to the rock (craft, part).

Obviously, colored Comic Sans. Maybe a custom picture as graffiti.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Stickers.

Like the custom decals of rocket but sticky decals for rocks.

When you get enough close to a rock (or to a craft, part, etc) to "Climb", you get a menu option "Stick a sticker", enter a text, and the decal gets attached to the rock (craft, part).

Obviously, colored Comic Sans. Maybe a custom picture as graffiti.

Cool idea.  Like flags, but different.  'Poo' emojis all over the solar system here we go...

Or just drop a 'token' like some of the Apollo guys dropped stuff on the Moon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.