Weird white start screen for KSP, doesn't close when the program opens

I recently started up my KSP, and got the screen in the image link.  I had the version made before the latest update for Windows PC, so I thought upgrading would solve the problem.  Well, it didn't.  And the screen doesn't close like it normally does when the program opens.

KSP Version:  Version 1.4.3
Windows X64 download

Computer particulars:
Windows 8.1 64-bit version
AMD A10-7800, Radeon R7, 12 compute cores (4C + 8G), 3.50 GHz
8GB RAM (6.95 Usable)

Here is a link to the screen shot:

https://imgur.com/Nyzo7AP

I hope I'm doing this right.  Any other info needed please ask and I will try to get it for you.

Oh, BTW, the game plays fine.

Had the same issue for a few weeks. Even uninstalled and erased everything KSP related from my computer and reinstalled several times. Both in 1.44 and the previous version. Same thing. Been having gameplay issues that started at the same time as well.

Was actually just about to post about it myself.

Your image shows the "launcher" program, which has never worked for me on a similar computer configuration to yours. 

You can start the program directly using the executable KSP_x64.exe in the directory where KSP is installed.

(Edit: Maybe the same problem as @Spyrofan223 posted in the thread linked below. The solution to use the executable directly seems to have been in use since 2015.)

Edited by OHara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe this happens when ksp crashes. Does it ever ask you to close the program or wait for ksp to respond? 

Also on another note, you say that you have Windows 8.1 64-bit and then you say you only have 6.95 usable. I've only seen this with 32 bit Windows.

17 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Open ksp directory. Where you install the program.

Then open ksp_64.exe

See if it solves your problem.

That is a launcher, which squad did not fix.

that's not a launcher, it's the game itself plus we need the launcher for certain things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2018 at 7:49 PM, ocso639 said:

that's not a launcher, it's the game itself plus we need the launcher for certain things.

Yes, we understand it is the "game launcher" for the game. That is what they mean by the launcher and not to use it. They are telling you not to use that to start the game because it doesn't start the game properly.

They are telling you to go into the Kerbal Space Program game folder and use either KSP.exe for 32bit OSes or the KSP_x64.exe for 64bit OSes to start your game.

See if that fixes your issue.

Until you try that and see if that is the problem, why try anything else?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.