Tethers? Anyone?

Well when they were used (on the space shuttle ISS missions), the astronauts who used them were untethered.  The SAFER backpacks currently in use on the ISS, are considered emergency use only, and are only intended to be used if an astronaut somehow became untethered and started drifting away from the ISS.

Also for the people like me who may or may not have run out of EVA fuel multiple times.  You could also have it behave like a climbable ladder to get back to your ship.  I also like the realism of it because not everyone just happens to have a fancy jetpack.  Yeah, they are nice, but not always what people want.

A major implementation issue I see is how you would choose what to use when going EVA.  For a slow, planned out mission, you could have a pop-up window appear when EVA is pressed.  However, many people also need the button for emergency dismounts, time critical stuff, etc.  I think you could have a toggle button on the pod the kerbal is in to determine what a Kerbal will automatically EVA with.  With this, too, you jetpack fans can always have the button set to Jetpack and practically ignore the tether.  Also, it lets you have more flexibility with your pods and design.  Want these engineers from a Hitchhiker pod to stay in one place while you control the pilot yourself?  Set the hitchhiker to Tether and the command pod to Jetpack.

To me, this will add another layer of customizability to the game, and that is the feature most people praise in this game.

• 2 months later...

Iam working on a rescaled verson of KAS parts used as a tether(on kerbalsjetpack/parachute &screwdriver)

Spoiler

fkykQjh.png

aOqt3yQ.png

eWkRt9H.png

On 6/28/2018 at 9:11 AM, Gargamel said:

I would think a tether is even more wonky.  A EVA kerbal and a ship are considered separate entities, so having one end of a kerbal attached to a ship might cause some serious errors

i thought the same before i try and ,oh wonder its not so wonky as u imagine

ps will release a test version soon™

pps Pak has a very nice MMU in his https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/119951-145-cormorant-aeronology-mk3-space-shuttle/

Personally, I'm against. Not that the tethers are a bad idea, but there are far more important and better ideas that wait to be implemented (never mind bugs to be fixed) and doing the tethers right would be a lot of work. Which would take (human) resources away from more important stuff. Finally properly working wheels anyone?!

54 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Personally, I'm against. Not that the tethers are a bad idea, but there are far more important and better ideas that wait to be implemented (never mind bugs to be fixed) and doing the tethers right would be a lot of work. Which would take (human) resources away from more important stuff. Finally properly working wheels anyone?!

Better wheels would be great, I agree. Tethers should be something that comes in another expansion, or something.

3 hours ago, Sharpy said:

This.  As in we can't really fix the wheel physics through mods, but while we wait for the devs to do so, we can practice our EVA piloting skills so we don't need tethers. 

11 hours ago, Sharpy said:

I agree.

@Pistache will upload a test cfg in few hours

13 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Personally, I'm against. Not that the tethers are a bad idea, but there are far more important and better ideas that wait to be implemented

anybody say it should be implemented(in STOCK game)?NO, I make this mod and i like tethers on kerbal EVAs,²if u dont like it -dont use it !  to make it clear i dont want tethers in stock .

12 hours ago, Pistache said:

doing the tethers right would be a lot of work. Which would take (human) resources away from more important stuff. Finally properly working wheels anyone?

iam a human and i deside what iam working on and wheelfixing is a problem only squad can fix!

10 hours ago, Gargamel said:

so we don't need tethers

²!

anyone read the threadname it calls Thethers? Anyone? -not who fix my damn wheels problem -go tell them squad

i dont know what people think when posting things like : i dont like it /or  i dont need for

when iam see something i dont like or need iam let them go and let them do whatever she/he wants and dont care.

²so again if u dont need a mod or dont like a mod(without any suggestions)-DONT USE IT and get off with postings like this!

5 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

Really good! How did you attach the cable to the Kerbal? Did you use KIS or is it another way? Thanks! Keep up the good work, it looks amazing!

30 minutes ago, Pistache said:

Did you use KIS or is it another way?

6 hours ago, Burning Kan said:

in category utility/eva item² u have two parts ,the winch and the lock

1)winch must attached to a vessel or any part

2)lock must be in inventory and equiped

3)then in EVA click on the winch (link)

4)on the backpack(parachute)u see the blue highlightning(click on it )

well done (attached) max lengh is 3 m

to unlink click the winch or the cable (click unlock)

!dont go IVA with cable link attached ,winch will be cracked!

²needs CommunityCategoryKit

Edited by Burning Kan

1 hour ago, Pistache said:

What do you mean by this?? It says that it can't be equipped....

WHAT? just put it in VAB in the seat-inventory(of the kerbal u wanna tether)

then go eva and use the shortcut key or example in the first slot u push1 second 2 a.s.o

then u should see a yellow lock on the parachute(that u must click to attach,after the winch of course)

I'm somewhat ambivalent on adding tethers to the stock game, unless they could be implemented properly.

The KAS-based tether implementation is a good first draft, but has the drawback that it is essentially drawn as a straight line between the Kerbal and the winch - the tether would then pass right through other objects without being obstructed or wrapped around them as expected, and wouldn't even cater for self-collisions.

Ideally, I'd like to see realistic tethers with rope physics, but that would require the game to approximate the tether game object with a (very) large number of rigid bodies and joints, which (like high part count vessels) would lead to significant performance issues in the game engine. That being said, the Obi Rope asset for Unity looks promising, since their creators claim that their system does not rely on rigid bodies/joints.

Edited by sumghai
Added statement on self-collisions

deleted :not important

On 10/15/2018 at 3:59 AM, Gargamel said:

The more ways we can play the game, the better off we all are

exectly,some one who understands me).thx

if anbody want to try some strange behavior?(thrust is oppostie behavior as it should)need time to investigate futher (in trusttransform-memo for me)

Spoiler

r5EvOb0.png

from  Pak`s very cool shuttle mod:https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/119951-145-cormorant-aeronology-mk3-space-shuttle/

1.5 is out YEAH

Edited by Burning Kan

• 4 weeks later...

Kerbal jetpacks are 100 times more long range and 10 times more powerful than the real cold gas jetpacks. Frankly I don't understand how anyone would run out unless they did the "get out and push" method or tried to do  2-way Minmus landing and return.

In which case, why are you trying to deorbit a minivan by hand? And don't you know that's what Spaceships are for?

On another note, I actually managed to deorbit Val and keep her slow enough and at high enough that she didn't explode on reentry, then landed by parachute somewhere in the desert mountains.

Edited by Pds314

1 hour ago, Pds314 said:

Kerbal jetpacks are 100 times more long range and 10 times more powerful than the real cold gas jetpacks.

When compared to the cold gas thrusters on used with the ISS's EVA suits, then yes.  A better comparison is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Rocket_Belt .  It has higher thrust than KSP's jetpack (it can lift a man in earth gravity), but less endurance.  You could probably design a version suitable for lunar gravity, that had slightly larger tanks, lower thrust, and hence longer endurance, and end up with something with similar performance to KSP's jetpack. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.