Do you ever chuckle at your old missions or concepts?

Ultimate Steve

I remember designing my Minmus excursion vehicle. I decided to use an X200-16 paired with an LV-909, and it turned out to be massive overkill. The lander had something like 2.7km/s of dV in Minmus orbit, and still had over 2km/s left when it returned to the command module. It could have gone to the Mun or something, but the mission length was approaching a month and I didn't have the skills.

To this day, that overpowered lander and its massive reserve of fuel still wait in a retrograde Minmus orbit. One day I'll use the rest of it.

I had an old design in my head before I even bought the game, when I was still just watching videos and stuff to check it out.

It was four double-stack orange tanks with Skippers around a triple-stack orange tank core with a Mainsail. The second stage was another Skipper with a large silver tank, then above that was an LV-909 under the half-size 1.25 tank. That section had full RCS control.

Did I mention all that was for a simple suborbital hop? It was still the super-soup-o-sphere back then, but it wasn't that bad.

I once used a Second-stage SKIPPER to go to the Mun. And on my lander, a Poodle. Ended up doing this:

1. Burn retrograde
  2. burn too much retro and go up not down.
  3. repeat
  4. run out of fuel and crash
On 6/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, Ultimate Steve said:

Exactly as the title asks.

I was looking through an old notebook today from several years ago and saw a drawing of a spaceship that could take either 256 or 512 Kerbals to anywhere but Moho. Along with it was a note that said something like "Probably will never be built due to lag concerns and difficulty flying it."

2014 me: Nah that's hard (512 Kerbals)

2016 me: Hold my beer (916 Kerbals)

NADTm84.png

:cool: Welcome to Interkerbolar Spacelines, we're about to depart from Minmus. Minny Brand Minty Ice Cream with NO CRYSTALS EVER will be served shortly. Next stop: Ike

Back then I had way too much time.   But I got things done nonetheless.
Would you believe this thing is from 0.23 and only had 3 ion engines at the back ?
I tried having @5thHorseman pilot it, but he said he just couldn't...  I can't blame him to be honest lol.

Making a 1h30min burn to Jool is just too long (unless you use mechjeb and go watch a movie or read the forums).
The "Solar Cruiser Mk.I" always get a chuckle out of me.   I don't think I'd ever have the patience to rebuild it nowadays.
But the unmodded 15k Delta-V (once in orbit mind you) was awesome back then.

bXcrZlS.png

• 2 weeks later...

My oldest screenshot from KSP is of this plane:

uwizSeg.png

If I remember right, it was supposed to be a supersonic passenger plane.  I remember being very confused as to why it did not work.  Now, I just find it amusing that I thought an aircraft with those wings was the right way to break the speed of sound.

In 0.12, I did a Direct Munar Ascent. I just aimed at the Mun and crashed into it without even entering Kerbin orbit.

My subsequent attempts involved entering a high-eccentricity orbit and waiting until the Mun catches the spacecraft while Jeb, Bill and Bob starved to death and suffocated. There were no Patched Conics in 0.12 and 0.13, you had to guesstimate your Munar Transfer Orbit.

Edited by MedwedianPresident

My oldest picture, and the furthest I have landed a Kerbal.

n85i5SR.jpg

Landed on the moon of Duna, Ike.

emSec8q.jpg

I have after 3 years never gone back.... And I still haven't made it to Dres.  Been to Eve, Moho, Duna, Ike and all over Kerban. 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:49 PM, Hodo said:

My oldest picture, and the furthest I have landed a Kerbal.

n85i5SR.jpg

Landed on the moon of Duna, Ike.

emSec8q.jpg

I have after 3 years never gone back.... And I still haven't made it to Dres.  Been to Eve, Moho, Duna, Ike and all over Kerban. 

Do yourself a favor and go to the Jool system.
A drone core, a typical orange tank with a single nuke will get you there (once in orbit that is).  a couple RTG for good measure and you're set.
I especially recommend Pol and Laythe.   I went to Jool for the first time in 0.23.5, and was in love with that place for the longest of times (until I tried OPM).

Gratz making it to Duna system tho.  That place is awesome too !

Oh, man, do I ever. I remember back before docking was an actual thing, I had ideas of running a mission to Duna using the old "interlocking landing gear" trick... with engines that were actually super OP, as they just needed electrical power provided by a part in the pack, and nothing else. In hindsight, I probably probably never would have actually pulled it off in my intended manner, but at the time it made more sense than anything else I had at my disposal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.