Is guacamole a sauce?

Kernel Kraken

The big problem is these words have overlap, as do the items they describe.

I always consider a dip something you dip things in, while a sauce is something you pour over something. A condiment is something you put into food that you eat with your hands. Items are named for their primary use and if you - say - put your guacamole into a taco (I do this too and it's glorious) it does not become a condiment, but remains a dip.

I can see a difference. A condiment to me is something you specifically put on or in a dish for flavor, like ketchup or mustard. It's a secondary, complimentary flavor to the main flavor of the dish. A dip is something that is a food that you deliver on a chip or other finger food like that. It's the primary flavor, the delivery device is secondary. There are a few foods that serve both roles, like salsa, pico de gallo, etc, that serve both roles. Guacamole is one of them.

Its main role is to act as a complement to an entrée, a term pretty often misused to define the meal and not the appetizer.  "Normally" (I don't like this term, but it's the only one passing through my minds), you could consider it as a pâté, supposed to be spread on different slices/chips and crisps.

6 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

I feel like it's too thick to be considered a sauce... But I do t know what else it could be called. A cream? It's kind of like sour cream in thickness. What do you think?

It also depends on the guacamole.

Many think of fresh avocado, mashed with pico de gallo, etc as guacamole, as a dip, or a chunky addition to tacos, etc.

There are also varieties that are flat out sauces. Water is added when pureed, and they are very liquid.

A spread. :cool:

an additive? If we want to get more general.

depending on what it’s used for I suppose. On a taco, guacamole is a spread. In a bowl, it’s a dip for chips. 

Peanut butter is in the same category of dip/spreads, I’d say. I like to dip apples and celery in peanut butter but spread it on my PB and J sammiches. 

Butter can also be the same depending on the consistency. I like to dip lobster in butter but spread it on my toast.. 

ok I need to get to sleep, but this is the kind of thing that will keep me up at night...

Edit: Chocolate... it has many uses. Dips, spreads, bars...

oh and cheese!

Edited by Galileo

It's a sauce.

The name comes from an Aztec dialect via Nahuatl āhuacamolli [aːwakaˈmolːi], which literally translates to "avocado sauce", from āhuacatl [aːˈwakat͡ɬ] ("avocado") + molli [ˈmolːi] ("sauce", literally "concoction").

How you use it, however, is entirely up to you.  Use it as a sauce, or a dip, or a spread, or a condiment, or eat it out of a bowl with a spoon as a soup for all I care.

The real problem is Now I want some guacamole, and I don't have any!

Edited by razark

1 hour ago, razark said:

It's a sauce.

How you use it, however, is entirely up to you.  Use it as a sauce, or a dip, or a spread, or a condiment, or eat it out of a bowl with a spoon as a soup for all I care.

The real problem is Now I want some guacamole, and I don't have any!

I came here to kick butt and eat guacamole and I'm all out of guacamole.

Sorry that I'm late to the party but hope this helps to answer the fundamental question of our time....what exactly constitutes a sauce?

To paraphrase Wiki's write up sauces are an accompaniment not normally consumed by themselves that add flavor, moisture, and enhance the visual appeal of a dish the sauce is used on. All sauces have a liquid component but their consistency can vary either being mostly liquid to some sauces being semi-solid. Sauce comes from the latin word meaning "salted".

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.