River-run Air-race Challenge

475yPzt.png

A White Knuckle Speed-Race of the River K'yangtze

as created by U/Bartacomus challenge posted on Reddit.

7lte9w7l9l611.jpg

New Beggars Canyon Super-Hard Mode - Drop an unguided bomb in the final tiny lake just before you zoom up the sheer cliff face!

e4DBRE8.jpg sMO20fK.png

COURSE REGULATION and PLACING SUMMARY:

• This is a TIMED RACE that is calculated from STAGING to Movement STOP
  • The time will be taken from  the IN-GAME CLOCK must be visible and legible (any anomaly in time will result in DISQUALIFICATION)
  • Flight MUST REMAIN BELOW 400 meters
  • --Any Breach ABOVE 400 meters, Results in 30 second PENALTY, added to FINAL TIME (for each breach)
  • --Any Breach ABOVE 400 meters, Longer than 3 seconds results in DISQUALIFICATION
  • On reaching "The Ramp" (The end of the river) Pilot Must Fly OVER "THE RAMP" and into "The Bowl"
  • Pilot must climb out of "The Bowl" vertically ( the Cliff Face) the canyon is Thousands of feet high.
  • --Pilot must then turn and ReEnter "The Bowl" from above, and be back below 400 meters right after the ramp for the return leg
  • TIME is taken the moment forward motion stops at  "HOME PLATE" on the ground with your craft intact
  • Ejecting parts is allowed until the turn around at THE BOWL, ejecting parts after then will result in the run being disqualified, losing parts after then will result in a 1m penalty
  • staging fairings is allowed after the turn around
  • -- a CRASH LANDING will result in a 1 minute PENALTY, added to FINAL TIME
  • SRB's are allowed for take off
  • Parachutes are allowed as braking agents, steering agents
  • SRB's are allowed as braking agents, steering agents
  • SRB usage on stock prop planes is limited to seperatons in the above usage scenarios, plus the climb up the cliff, it's full military power OK?

(if any major balance issue arises final results categories will be split to separate craft)

RESOURCES

Badge

i7kFVLm.png

Hyperedit Coordinates to put your plane on homeplate

Custom Waypoints for Waypoint Manager

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ETKIWfcYUIOYJ3LbqVx8UQ1yb2mtgGx0

THE LOCATION of the River K'yangtze
uji8eqto9l611.jpg
THE RAMP (This is where you begin your ascent out of "The Bowl"
sdj8k44u9l611.jpg
THE BOWL (Course and River Boundary)
9lt8h1fz9l611.jpg
THE HOME PLATE (Starting Line and Finishing Line)
jdnkv523al611.jpg
PROOF OF CONCEPT, with Joystick and pedals in VR!

ALL RIGHT YOU WACKY KERBOWHATSITS.. you think you got the biggest koobles in KSP?

Think you are ALEX ROGAN incarnate? A Better pilot than Luke Skywalker killing small animals on Tattoine?

Heres your chance to show us what youre made of. I chose My Favorite river in the Game.. and trust me at high speeds this run IS A BLAST.. and at 400 meters? ITS INSANE!!

-

There's plenty of variety.. straight shots for speed accumulation, corners that REQUIRE killing almost all speed, sloping turns to see if you can maximize turning and velocity simultaneously, some tight squeezes.. and couple places you must hug the ground CLOSELY, to stay under 400 meters.. at the end is a sheer cliif face where the river just stops. The perfect place to pull back hard and shoot out of the canyhon like Luke Skywalker in the death star trench run. On the return course.. its just long enough of a course to force designing a plane around fuel.. and the added threat of landing on a RELATIVELY flat island. Its perfect for lifoff with a 5 degree grade,, but landing is another matter..

-

Be sure to UpVote so we can reach as many Contestants as Possible.. Challenge your Friends.. and show Us your vids.

SO STRAP IN YOU MIGHTY GREEN WARRIORS... we bout to give it the gas.

SEE YALL ON THE PLAYING FIELD

Results Tables

Stock Craft with Controller 

Place Name Time Normal Super
1. @Yargnit 4:38 *  
2. /u/Mordrac 7.33 +1m for losing engine *  
3. @5parrowhawk 8.20 *  
4. @selfish_meme 8:34 +1m for twice breaking 400m *  

Stock Craft with Keyboard

1. @SuperHappySquid 5:25 *  
2. @Alienwall 5:49 *  
3. @boomchacle 6.34 *  

@kaizokuroof

7:52 *  
5. @Scarecrow 8:00 *  
6. @Mac101 10.30 *  
7. @5parrowhawk 13.55    
9.     *  

Stock Propeller Craft

1. @CraterJumper 21:46    
2. @SuperHappySquid 23:20   *
3. @selfish_meme 28:37 +1m for crash   *
4. @Inter 29:25   *
Edited by selfish_meme

1 hour ago, Klapaucius said:

Brilliant!  I had the same idea but had not got around to it. This is very cool. I'll be dusting off my racer soon!

It's surprisingly difficult, Mordrac above did an awesome job, I think he will be hard to beat.

OK, my first complete run was 11.04.29 +30 for a crash at the end, I didn't fly it flat out yet, this was just training for the big one, some bad missteps in this, I'll put it online ASAP

Edited by selfish_meme

4 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

It's surprisingly difficult, Mordrac above did an awesome job, I think he will be hard to beat.

OK, my first complete run was 11.04.29 +30 for a crash at the end, I didn't fly it flat out yet, this was just training for the big one, some bad missteps in this, I'll put it online ASAP

I would not be surprised at all. Actually, I had a very similar idea and flew this route on my own just last week (not nearly as fast as Mordrac). And yes, it is hard and Mordrac's flight is going to be really hard to better.

Edited by Klapaucius

32 minutes ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

When's the challenge due?
Also, is separating used SRBs legit?

No due date, just submit when you want, yes separating SRB's is Legit

My first complete attempt, but I messed up the bowl re-entry so I am not putting it in the results, I also crashed the landing into the water

Nice challenge.  I've had a go, but with the really imprecise controls of using a keyboard it's difficult to be smooth at the speeds required to get a good time.  Just a nano second too long on the W or S key can result in a major change in altitude, or loss of speed if you are in a tight turn.

My time was around 9 minutes, but I don't think I could do better than that without an analogue control.

One thing you should I think definitely do is keep separate records for stock aero and FAR - since FAR seriously changes the aerodynamics model, and especially can make taking those tight turns a lot harder at high speed, due to your plane potentially just being torn apart by the aerodynamic stresses.

1 hour ago, Zuthal said:

One thing you should I think definitely do is keep separate records for stock aero and FAR - since FAR seriously changes the aerodynamics model, and especially can make taking those tight turns a lot harder at high speed, due to your plane potentially just being torn apart by the aerodynamic stresses.

I actually had FAR installed while beggining development of the plane. I definitely will open up the categories as I get more entries, I am thinking of splitting keyboard and flight controls as well @Scarecrow

Edited by selfish_meme

Hey all from the ksp subreddit!

Just thought i'd post my run here. It's really quite the challenging run! It looks like the criteria for *hard* and *super* mode were just added, so I may make a seperate run to go for those. I made 9 minutes and four seconds on stock aero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57n5EmjzAwY

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

I actually had FAR installed while beggining development of the plane. I definitely will open up the categories as I get more entries, I am thinking of splitting keyboard and flight controls as well @Scarecrow

With that in mind, there is a huge difference between aircraft with additional reaction wheels and/or fly by wire as well.

1 minute ago, Klapaucius said:

With that in mind, there is a huge difference between aircraft with additional reaction wheels and/or fly by wire as well.

I have found it doesn't matter that much as you want to carry speed through the corners, the harder you turn the more speed you drop

Hello from the KSP subreddit! I'm crossposting my most recent time trial (#5) here.

https://youtu.be/56aEXxgf9Ro

8 minutes flat, no breaches, landing bonus for a total of 7:40. Not sure if the landing bonus counts as I ended up sliding into the water at the end of the landing, but taxied out with the engines well above the waterline.

FWIW I was using an old janky Xbox 360 gamepad which needs huge deadzones... still better than KB, but not by much.

Unfortunately Persistent Trails glitched out on me so I couldn't get a replay file recorded :(

Edit: Just realized the rules here are different. Counting time to a full stop rather than touchdown, that makes my time 8:09, or rather 7:49.

Edited by 5parrowhawk

21 minutes ago, 5parrowhawk said:

Hello from the KSP subreddit! I'm crossposting my most recent time trial (#5) here.

https://youtu.be/56aEXxgf9Ro

8 minutes flat, no breaches, landing bonus for a total of 7:40. Not sure if the landing bonus counts as I ended up sliding into the water at the end of the landing, but taxied out with the engines well above the waterline.

FWIW I was using an old janky Xbox 360 gamepad which needs huge deadzones... still better than KB, but not by much.

Unfortunately Persistent Trails glitched out on me so I couldn't get a replay file recorded :(

I will check it out, I don't think we have a landing bonus here just a penalty for not landing. As long as the plane did not float and you didn't break anything I'll accept it as a landing.

Still trying to get through the course, but I can't imagine it is very usual for failure in one challenge to lead to a submission in another.  Jebediah survived the last crash, even though he hit the water at 351 mps. So, I have my high-speed spashdown entry :cool:

I dont understand how you got a base time of over 9 minutes when the in game clock clearly shows a time below 7 minutes. Make sure that when you record the time from people's videos, you record the in game clock, not the video clock, because the recording software often does not match time perfectly. Just look at the time at the upper left, not the video time. 
After all, someone could make a video and speed it up slightly to get an advantage.

11 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

I dont understand how you got a base time of over 9 minutes when the in game clock clearly shows a time below 7 minutes. Make sure that when you record the time from people's videos, you record the in game clock, not the video clock, because the recording software often does not match time perfectly. Just look at the time at the upper left, not the video time. 
After all, someone could make a video and speed it up slightly to get an advantage.

Haha, I was just saying this to Bartacomus a little while ago, that we should change it to the ingame clock. Also the rules are slightly different here, there is a greater penalty for crashing and time is stage to stop.

Don't worry you are not being shortchanged, I timed everyone the same

Edited by selfish_meme

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Haha, I was just saying this to Bartacomus a little while ago, that we should change it to the ingame clock. Also the rules are slightly different here, there is a greater penalty for crashing and time is stage to stop

Holy crap I think I may have just beat 6 minutes

Dang, JUST SHY of 6 minutes, I got a 6:06 min run with a super modified Ionizer

I'm pretty sure I made no breaches and didn't technically crash land. staged at 0:53, and my parachutes decided that I had stopped at 6:59, which means that 6:59 - 0:53 is 6:06

Make sure you look at the in game time, not the video time, because the recording software does not accurately reflect the in game time.

7 hours ago, Mac101 said:

Hey all from the ksp subreddit!

Just thought i'd post my run here. It's really quite the challenging run! It looks like the criteria for *hard* and *super* mode were just added, so I may make a seperate run to go for those. I made 9 minutes and four seconds on stock aero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57n5EmjzAwY

Sorry Mac I cannot get to that youtube, can you repost the link?

5 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

btw who is the one who grades/validates these?

Me, OK, I just saw your video, wow, edge of the seat stuff, you got so close to one cliff, that was intense, but....sorry mate I can't accept this attempt, you didn't go into the bowl, and you didn't re-enter via the bowl. The rules here are different but that one is from the challenge on Reddit.

That was some brilliant flying though, your using a keyboard right? Kudos.

Hey, all. I am slowly going through the videos to make sure they all are within the rules. If you are trying a new attempt make sure to read the rules, they have evolved from the ones on Reddit.

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

Me, OK, I just saw your video, wow, edge of the seat stuff, you got so close to one cliff, that was intense, but....sorry mate I can't accept this attempt, you didn't go into the bowl, and you didn't re-enter via the bowl. The rules here are different but that one is from the challenge on Reddit.

That was some brilliant flying though, your using a keyboard right? Kudos.

Hey, all. I am slowly going through the videos to make sure they all are within the rules. If you are trying a new attempt make sure to read the rules, they have evolved from the ones on Reddit.

Waiitt.. in the picture of the ramp, it shows that you are supposed to start flying upwards at the first ramp.
sdj8k44u9l611.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.