River-run Air-race Challenge

5 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

Waiitt.. in the picture of the ramp, it shows that you are supposed to start flying upwards at the first ramp.

Yes, but the bowl is on the other side of the ramp, the next picture, so you have to cross over the ramp, into the bowl, go vertical to about 3-4km then come straight back down into the bowl. Watch Mordracs run, he does it.

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Yes, but the bowl is on the other side of the ramp, the next picture, so you have to cross over the ramp, into the bowl, go vertical to about 3-4km then come straight back down into the bowl. Watch Mordracs run, he does it.

well, if you're going to disqualify my second run, you have to disqualify my first one, because I went down at around the same place in both...  -_-

1 minute ago, boomchacle said:

well, if you're going to disqualify my second run, you have to disqualify my first one, because I went down at around the same place in both...  -_-

Probably, like I said I am going through the videos, first I just checked times

2 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

Sorry Mac I cannot get to that youtube, can you repost the link?

Sure thing! But i did splash down at the end however since i undershot the island by bleeding off too much speed. If you need a flat wheels down landing i can always re do it :D

Fair warning, Selfish Meme: I was using a gamepad for runs 3-5. So my scores ought to be 13:23 for keyboard, and 8:09 for controller.

Keyboard run: https://youtu.be/R6BovClmNu8

Controller run: https://youtu.be/56aEXxgf9Ro

I'll probably post a new keyboard run sometime soon though.

Edited by 5parrowhawk

6 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

When would you measure the beginning of a run in a prop? They require a little more maintenance before take-off than just pressing the spacebar to stage. 

Probably on wheels rolling

19 hours ago, Mac101 said:

Sure thing! But i did splash down at the end however since i undershot the island by bleeding off too much speed. If you need a flat wheels down landing i can always re do it :D

I am giving you a 9.30m + 1m (for splashdown) for that fantastic effort, I like how you brought drift racing to the air-race!

16 hours ago, 5parrowhawk said:

Fair warning, Selfish Meme: I was using a gamepad for runs 3-5. So my scores ought to be 13:23 for keyboard, and 8:09 for controller.

Keyboard run: https://youtu.be/R6BovClmNu8

Controller run: https://youtu.be/56aEXxgf9Ro

I'll probably post a new keyboard run sometime soon though.

Hey 5parrowwhawk, I get 13.55 for your Keyboard run, possibly because the rules here are timed to full stop, not touch down

and 8.20 on the controller run, well done, very smooth

Edited by selfish_meme

5 hours ago, boomchacle said:

ok I'm pretty sure this one should be legit. I followed in Mordrac's path, so yeah... But I gained a bit of time so the time was 6:34
https://youtu.be/O2pPqFhRMB8

Is that with keyboard or controller? Either way it was a nice run!

#I will put you in controller until you confirm which it is.

Edited by selfish_meme

oOOH i JUST DID A 6:39! (if there were not several momentary excursions above 400m and some damage to the craft) I would enter it. I didn't expect to go that quick, was just testing some changes. With a joystick.

Edited by selfish_meme

3 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

To be honest it looks like Keyboard to me. There are no smooth control inputs, just very fine adjustments. 

47 minutes ago, SuperHappySquid said:

To be honest it looks like Keyboard to me. There are no smooth control inputs, just very fine adjustments. 

I suspect it is keyboard too or possibly a game controller, it does not look like analogue

6:23! Well it would be if I hadn't exceeded 400m once for a couple of seconds. And my Bowl entry and exit was borderline disqualified. The best score I could hope for would be 6:53 and I wouldn't accept that bowl exit anyway. I'll put the video up so you know it's possible, I was a hairs breadth from making it. I also hit 1500ms on the return to the island!

Edited by selfish_meme

13 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

keyboard. If I had a controller, I would still prefer a keyboard tbh

After numerous attempts, many of which failed for breaching 400m or simply crashed, I finally managed a complete run and landed back at the starting point island.  There is a little wobble at the end of the landing run, but nothing broke or fell off.

Engines are staged at the 1:00 minute mark on the mission clock, and everything comes to a stop on the island at 9:19, so I am claiming an elapsed time for the mission of 8:18.  This is in a stock aircraft using keyboard control.  I think I could knock a few seconds off if I started slowing down for my landing a bit sooner, and didn't overshoot the island by a fair bit while still trying to slow down, but I am quite happy with this run.

The replay is at 5x times speed so as not to bore everyone with an 8 min+ video, but I can upload a replay at slower speed if required for verification.

Edited by Scarecrow

1 minute ago, Scarecrow said:

After numerous attempts, many of which failed for breaching 400m or simply crashed, I finally managed a complete run and landed back at the starting point island.  There is a little wobble at the end of the landing run, but nothing broke or fell off.

Engines are staged at the 1:00 minute mark on the mission clock, and everything comes to a stop on the island at 9:19, so I am claiming an elapsed time for the mission of 8:18.  This is in a stock aircraft using keyboard control.  I think I could knock a few seconds off if I started slowing down for my landing a bit sooner, and didn't overshoot the island by a fair bit while still trying to slow down, but I am quite happy with this run.

impressive

11 hours ago, DunnoAnyThing said:

Probably the only way to know is waiting for @boomchacle to show up and answer...
BTW at least I don't think that I can do it...(due to lack of skill and cautiousness)

My hands during those turns

Ahhhhhh i had an 8 minute 36 second run last night in the fat boy. Well... it would have been. My chutes worked effectively but i hit the island going a smidge too fast so my wings fell off. I think i can tweak the chutes and a couple of other parts. Honestly with the way im starting to get faniliar with the 'Fat boi river runner' and the river itself, 8 minutes even doesn't seem so far off now. Welp, back to the spaceplane hanger! Can't let all the tiny jets have all the glory ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.