River-run Air-race Challenge

57 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

keyboard. If I had a controller, I would still prefer a keyboard tbh

So I am thinking of combining the keyboard and controller categories @boomchacle has proved you can be just as fast with a keyboard as a controller, or he has an amazing superpower involving fingers. Any objections?

Just now, selfish_meme said:

So I am thinking of combining the keyboard and controller categories @boomchacle has proved you can be just as fast with a keyboard as a controller, or he has an amazing superpower involving fingers. Any objections?

eeh... I've been playing this game practically since it came out. I'd say that people with joysticks have a serious advantage to people who can't control a ship super well with WASD, but I still prefer WASD over controller.  I dont know if you mean joystick when you say controller or if you mean Playstation/Xbox controller,

3 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

eeh... I've been playing this game practically since it came out. I'd say that people with joysticks have a serious advantage to people who can't control a ship super well with WASD, but I still prefer WASD over controller.  I dont know if you mean joystick when you say controller or if you mean Playstation/Xbox controller,

I mean any sort of controller other than a keyboard. I'm no where near as good flying planes with a keyboard as with a joystick, but I fly rockets with a keyboard. I guess if you train at one type of controller you can get just as good as someone on a different controller.

1 minute ago, selfish_meme said:

I mean any sort of controller other than a keyboard. I'm no where near as good flying planes with a keyboard as with a joystick, but I fly rockets with a keyboard. I guess if you train at one type of controller you can get just as good as someone on a different controller.

it really depends. With a joystick, any plane will automatically have a higher skill cap. If I had a joystick with my plane, I bet I could have shaved off at least 20 seconds due to me not loosing speed through the twitchyness of hitting keys.

5 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

it really depends. With a joystick, any plane will automatically have a higher skill cap. If I had a joystick with my plane, I bet I could have shaved off at least 20 seconds due to me not loosing speed through the twitchyness of hitting keys.

Alright, we will leave as is

1 hour ago, Scarecrow said:

After numerous attempts, many of which failed for breaching 400m or simply crashed, I finally managed a complete run and landed back at the starting point island.  There is a little wobble at the end of the landing run, but nothing broke or fell off.

Engines are staged at the 1:00 minute mark on the mission clock, and everything comes to a stop on the island at 9:19, so I am claiming an elapsed time for the mission of 8:18.  This is in a stock aircraft using keyboard control.  I think I could knock a few seconds off if I started slowing down for my landing a bit sooner, and didn't overshoot the island by a fair bit while still trying to slow down, but I am quite happy with this run.

The replay is at 5x times speed so as not to bore everyone with an 8 min+ video, but I can upload a replay at slower speed if required for verification.

I am going to accept this as you are not vying for the top spots, but you really need to get back into the Bowl and not just come down over the ramp, I did the same as you in my 6:23 above and I am not claiming that as a valid run.

12 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Alright, we will leave as is

I am going to accept this as you are not vying for the top spots, but you really need to get back into the Bowl and not just come down over the ramp, I did the same as you in my 6:23 above and I am not claiming that as a valid run.

Just btw, by leaving as it is, do you mean that you're leaving it in the Controller category? I used a keyboard :P

2 minutes ago, boomchacle said:

Just btw, by leaving as it is, do you mean that you're leaving it in the Controller category? I used a keyboard :P

I have moved you now, I meant I will leave the categories, instead of combining them

1 minute ago, Rus-Evo said:

So how high do I go to be considered out of the bowl? 

Also any recommendation on how to record for someone who has never done so (eg software).

The peaks are about 4km

I use the recording software that comes with the NVIDIA GeForce experience

I have also used AMD shadowplay and OBS studio a free game recording and streaming software

My first entry. I used a Keyboard, I don't own a proper controller. :¬( 

Some fairly sloppy flying, especially at 3:49 where I almost lose it and bleed off a lot of speed. I also popped the air-brakes far too son before landing. 

I'm under the impression that my time was 5:24, though I'll wait for moderation before declaring a time as I'm slightly unsure of all the rules. 

Sorry about the music, I didn't realise ShadowPlay would record it as well as KSP.

Edited by SuperHappySquid

17 minutes ago, SuperHappySquid said:

Some fairly sloppy flying, especially at 3:49 where I almost lose it and bleed off a lot of speed. I also popped the air-brakes far too son before landing. 

I'm under the impression that my time was 5:24, though I'll wait for moderation before declaring a time as I'm slightly unsure of all the rules. 

Sorry about the music, I didn't realise ShadowPlay would record it as well as KSP.

Wow, that was some of the best flying I have ever seen. I make it 5:35, Staged at 0:29, stopped at 5:54. Amazing.

However I can't put it up, you didn't go back into the bowl on the way out, you just came down over the ramp, I disqualified Myself and @boomchacle for the same thing, sorry mate. Check Mordracs video on how to do it, or my last one for a bad approximation.

Super Flying though

57 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Wow, that was some of the best flying I have ever seen. I make it 5:35, Staged at 0:29, stopped at 5:54. Amazing.

However I can't put it up, you didn't go back into the bowl on the way out, you just came down over the ramp, I disqualified Myself and @boomchacle for the same thing, sorry mate. Check Mordracs video on how to do it, or my last one for a bad approximation.

Super Flying though

Darn. No worries. I reckoned I had done something wrong. Will have another go. :¬)

As my turn around turn wasn't done correctly, and I felt I could go quicker anyway, this is my 2nd and final entry for the challenge.  Again this is keyboard control and a stock plane, though I did change the design slightly.  I lost a bit of time when I popped the airbrakes by mistake in one of the turns on the return run, and this time I slowed down a bit early for the landing.  Due to the slope, I ended up stopping balanced on two wheels and a wingtip, but nothing broke or exploded.

I've left the take off and landing at normal speed, but the run itself is at 4x actual speed, to keep the video to a reasonable time.

Engine stage at 1:00 as before, and craft at a stand at 9:00 giving an elapsed time for the run of 8:00 minutes dead.

Edited by Scarecrow

My second entry. I hope I got the bowl right this time.

Some slightly more focused flying enabled me to achieve what I think is the same time (staged at 30 seconds, stopped fully at 5:54), despite the more lengthy manoeuvring in the bowl. 

Again, sorry about the music. 

Edited by SuperHappySquid

#

12 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

As my turn around turn wasn't done correctly, and I felt I could go quicker anyway, this is my 2nd and final entry for the challenge.  Again this is keyboard control and a stock plane, though I did change the design slightly.  I lost a bit of time when I popped the airbrakes by mistake in one of the turns on the return run, and this time I slowed down a bit early for the landing.  Due to the slope, I ended up stopping balanced on two wheels and a wingtip, but nothing broke or exploded.

I've left the take off and landing at normal speed, but the run itself is at 4x actual speed, to keep the video to a reasonable time.

Engine stage at 1:00 as before, and craft at a stand at 9:00 giving an elapsed time for the run of 8:00 minutes dead.

Yep, I confirm 8:00 flat, well done

Edited by selfish_meme

10 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

My second entry. I hope I got the bowl right this time.

Some slightly more focused flying enabled me to achieve what I think is the same time (staged at 30 seconds, stopped fully at 5:54), despite the more lengthy manoeuvring in the bowl. 

Again, sorry about the music. 

Yep I make it 5:25  and me very jealous, you make it look easy

1 hour ago, Alienwall said:

Here's my entry to the challenge (flown with keyboard):

As long as there were no infractions/disqualifiers in the run it should be ~5:49 (staged @ 2:00 & stopped @ 7:49)

Yep, confirmed at 5:49, top stuff, if I hadn't just watched @SuperHappySquid almost ditch about 6 times that would have been the most exciting thing yet!

What's the Wheesley for?

Edited by selfish_meme

14 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

INSANE HOLY CRAP you beat 6 minutes, but YOU DIDNT GO INTO THE BOWL NNRGG

G’day selfish. 

I posted a similar half built ‘Mission’ course on KerbalX just after The Mission Builder was released. https://kerbalx.com/missions/27  it’s called River Race b.2. I believe it’s posted as unrestricted. You would be most welcome to modify, rename and repost if you like and think it would be helpful. You seem to be doing a fantastic job responding to the many challengers you are getting. Again nice work, I’m itching to give it a go, but not itching to get home from holidays if you know what I mean. 

I guess it's time for me to throw the gauntlet down with the 1st sub 5 minute time...

4:59 from wheels off the ground to wheel stop! (Up at 3:02, stopped at 8:01) And the plane's still got some legs in her with better piloting as well. with more practice I could get below 4:45 with it no question. A perfect run maybe around 4:30 but that would be extremely difficult from a piloting/reaction time perspective. The engines/air-frame certainly have it in them though.

Xbox controller was used, not that it appears to really matter from the relative times posted 

This is her in an all out speed run, top speed just over 2000m/s asl

xv5seqZ.png

Tis a hell of a course at those speeds for sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.