River-run Air-race Challenge

10 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

I guess it's time for me to throw the gauntlet down with the 1st sub 5 minute time...

4:59 from wheels off the ground to wheel stop! (Up at 3:02, stopped at 8:01) And the plane's still got some legs in her with better piloting as well. with more practice I could get below 4:45 with it no question. A perfect run maybe around 4:30 but that would be extremely difficult from a piloting/reaction time perspective. The engines/air-frame certainly have it in them though.

Xbox controller was used, not that it appears to really matter from the relative times posted 

This is her in an all out speed run, top speed just over 2000m/s asl

Tis a hell of a course at those speeds for sure.

Fantastic effort, and I think you just proved my theory of Rapiers being better than Whiplashes ;)

However the time is from staging, not wheels up, unfortunately that means a 5:01 time, still absolutely brilliant!!

2 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Fantastic effort, and I think you just proved my theory of Rapiers being better than Whiplashes ;)

However the time is from staging, not wheels up, unfortunately that means a 5:01 time, still absolutely brilliant!!

Really... you're going to make me stress myself for another 2 hours until I can do another run without crashing just to shave 2 seconds... ;) Maybe later lmao.

And RAPIERs being the best option for a speed run was never in question unless the course is so tight you 're averaging a bit below mach 2. RAIPERs produce more thrust than Whiplashes are capable of above mach 1.8 (like 630m/s) I literally have to be pulling max turnrate hard 90 degree corner to even briefly drop below that speed. And the RAPIER's continuing to put out higher thrust than the Whiplash is even capable of at optimal speed until it reaches over mach 5, which a whiplash cannot reach period.on the sprint back to Home Plate I hit 1875m/s (nearly mach 5.4) and was still accelerating hard if I hadn't cut the throttle a bit early to ensure I didn't crash trying to get it on the ground. Not only do Whiplashes not have the thrust curve to reach those speeds, they also start to overheat bad above ~1600m/s or so. I can push a RAPIER close to 2100m/s without heat issues. Whiplashes are just easier to manage for most players.

This guy is my current record holder for sustained level flight from a "plane" for reference https://i.imgur.com/aPCrLfS.png It just can't do anything but fly straight. ;)

Hi, Selfish_Meme. 

I made an attempt with a stock prop plane of mine (built in 1.3, I think).  I did it on a stream just now.  I will come back and update this post with a link to my stream after the stream has finished processing on YouTube. 

Total run time from roll start to full stop was 36m20s.  Fastest velocity was 175mps but average was around 145.

Cheers! 
PS. Squiddy sent me. 

Here is the link to my attempt:

Edited by Inter

1 hour ago, Inter said:

Hi, Selfish_Meme. 

I made an attempt with a stock prop plane of mine (built in 1.3, I think).  I did it on a stream just now.  I will come back and update this post with a link to my stream after the stream has finished processing on YouTube. 

Total run time from roll start to full stop was 36m20s.  Fastest velocity was 175mps but average was around 145.

Cheers! 
PS. Squiddy sent me. 

Here is the link to my attempt:

Excellent, I thought I was going to be first, though I expected @SuperHappySquid to have had a go by now, he is probably gnashing his teeth and planning swift revenge on the new record holder though.

3 hours ago, Yargnit said:

I guess it's time for me to throw the gauntlet down with the 1st sub 5 minute time...

4:59 from wheels off the ground to wheel stop!

I thought time was measured from the time when you start moving, but I'm not so sure...
@selfish_meme ?

Whoops, somehow missed the above posts.

Edited by DunnoAnyThing
missed posts...somehow

Well I've crashed roughly half a dozen sub 4:45s, and a couple sub 4:35s times trying to land intact, but I finally got one down. This ones only a 4:48 thanks to a meh turn around and a bad landing, but at least it's very solidly in the sub 5 minute category. My game was starting to lag from so many reverts which threw off my timings a bit, but I was in such a groove with not crashing at least I forced myself to push through until I got a time. Sub 4:30 is very much possible with my plane. I nearly put down a 4:32 that still left some time on the track, but I dinged the nose a bit too hard on the landing. That's enough for tonight though, if anyone else is able to get down in this range I'll try to improve it further.

32 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

Well I've crashed roughly half a dozen sub 4:45s, and a couple sub 4:35s times trying to land intact, but I finally got one down. This ones only a 4:48 thanks to a meh turn around and a bad landing, but at least it's very solidly in the sub 5 minute category. My game was starting to lag from so many reverts which threw off my timings a bit, but I was in such a groove with not crashing at least I forced myself to push through until I got a time. Sub 4:30 is very much possible with my plane. I nearly put down a 4:32 that still left some time on the track, but I dinged the nose a bit too hard on the landing. That's enough for tonight though, if anyone else is able to get down in this range I'll try to improve it further.

Amazing, Welcome to the sub 5m club, it's very exclusive.

While you are so far out in front, and it was a tiny amount I will let slide your Bowl ascent. You didn't crack 3000m, the guy in the stock prop got as close to the limit of the cliffs as he could at about 3400m, just keep that in mind, eh ,above the cliffs.

Congratulations again, you have made a certain Squid Super Unhappy ;)

31 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Amazing, Welcome to the sub 5m club, it's very exclusive.

While you are so far out in front, and it was a tiny amount I will let slide your Bowl ascent. You didn't crack 3000m, the guy in the stock prop got as close to the limit of the cliffs as he could at about 3400m, just keep that in mind, eh ,above the cliffs.

Congratulations again, you have made a certain Squid Super Unhappy ;)

It's funny, I started out trying to skim as close as possible to 3000m or so for a while, but after probably 50 different trips in and out of the bowl I actually found that often my ~3500m runs were actually faster on the turn-around than the ones that just barely reached or even came just short of 3000m. The reason I determined is 2 fold. One, often times (such as in this run) when I notice I'm cutting it a bit close it means adjusting the flight a bit to add more height at the last minute, which takes significantly longer than just flying a few hundred meters higher in the 1st place. Also diving down from ~3500m I notice I'm able to use gravity to pick up significantly more speed and get out of the low-thrust range on the RAPIER compared to being down at the ~3000m range (you wouldn't think that 500m would matter, but it does combined with the slightly altered angle it means you come down it) That's actually why I commented that my turn around on this run was meh, it was actually too low for optimal time and cost me probably 3-5 seconds over some of my higher turns. Overall I've been using 3000-3500 as my goal and anything below 2900 or above 4000 I was reverting and trying again.

I'm not sure if you can tell from that video, but between TWR on the plane being so high, and it's relative drag being so low, I actually decoupled the SRB's before they ran dry and out accelerated them even though they were still burning. That's how much power it has. On the final sprint It hit 1915m/s (mach 5.5) before turning to line up for the landing.

If it didn't take me several hours of tries to put down a run I'd push to try and get sub 4:30 but it's so stressful to fly at those speeds. I think I almost need to tweak my relative pitch/roll sensitivity if I'm really going to push it. Pitch is too sensitive while roll isn't sensitive enough, but the problem is I'm using the same control surfaces for both to minimize drag. Half the pitch sensitivity and a bit more roll response and I think I could make some of the corners with noticeably less speed loss.

Edited by Yargnit
bad spelling is bad

8 hours ago, Yargnit said:

Awesome job. Would love to have a go with that little beast. :¬)

A bit more time shaved off, down to 4:38 now. I landed a 4:32 but I was 5 meters off the island into the water... :(

I think I need to delete my craft before I finally put my controller through my monitor in frustration one of these times...

14 minutes ago, Yargnit said:

A bit more time shaved off, down to 4:38 now. I landed a 4:32 but I was 5 meters off the island into the water... :(

I think I need to delete my craft before I finally put my controller through my monitor in frustration one of these times...

Well done, yeah have a rest for a while...;) 

I had a 3:49 run on the river, but instead of landing, I manage to crash into the island at 109 m/s wheels first. Turns out you need a lot of space when approaching at ~1700 m/s

cliffnotes version of the entire run

That was on keyboard controls
I'll post a submission when I get a valid run lmao
You people need to step it up before I learn how to land oi
I'm heading to bed, aye  

Edited by Colonel Cbplayer

47 minutes ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

I had a 3:49 run on the river, but instead of landing, I manage to crash into the island at 109 m/s wheels first. Turns out you need a lot of space when approaching at ~1700 m/s

I'm heading to bed, aye  

Maybe be the first to try Super Mode! ;) also you have to get into the bowl on the way back, don't just pass over it

Edited by selfish_meme

I am streaming my Stock Prop attempt right now, I probably should have tested more, but you know

https://twitch.tv/selfishmeme

Damn damn damn, first attempt crashed doing the bowl turn around, well the cat is out of the bag now. could have been a 32m run

I am going to impose limits on SRB's for the Stock Prop part of the challenge, probably limited to a few seperatons, none after the turn around.

Back once the kids are asleep

Edited by selfish_meme

Had a couple of goes at the stock prop, almost successful the second time, but a strange thing happened, I lost control of the engine, I wonder if the cores went into hibernation? Maybe I wasn't producing enough power for props and cores.

This was the plane I was using, almost 190ms in level flight fully loaded

zGiMp4s.png

Edited by selfish_meme

A few rules questions: 

• Would it be allowed to, eg, use kOS to beep if I get near 400m, that sort of thing?  No control ofc.
  • Could we have a drone category as well?
  • Any restrictions on part clipping?
Edited by lordcirth
clipping

10 hours ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

I'm heading to bed, aye  

Nice run, yeah landing is the hard part. ;) How'd you got enough fuel for 3 Rapiers in a body that small? I'm going to have to take notes from your bowl turn, I thought mine was getting good, but yours is sick.

My advise, take 5 extra seconds in the landing. Get a time in, then try to refine the landing to shave seconds. You're going to make me redesign now lol...

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

A few rules questions: 

• Would it be allowed to, eg, use kOS to beep if I get near 400m, that sort of thing?  No control ofc.
  • Could we have a drone category as well?
  • Any restrictions on part clipping?

Making a noise is fine, I don't know if we need another category yet we will see, no restrictions on clipping

9 minutes ago, Colonel Cbplayer said:

What exactly the part of the bowl that you need to fly through again?

Go over the ramp and into the bowl, go up to 3k+, come back down into the bowl and then back over the ramp. Don't come down over the ramp.

Edited by selfish_meme

4 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Go over the ramp and into the bowl, go up to 3k+, come back down into the bowl and then back over the ramp. Don't come down over the ramp.

So just pulling up to level flight a bit later after you are traveling down again?

Just now, Colonel Cbplayer said:

So just pulling up to level flight a bit later after you are traveling down again?

I think so, the point was to get people back under 400m as quickly as possible and to make the bowl turn around a bit more challenging, but if you come down on top of or past the ramp, where do I draw the line? So I try and get people to come back down vertically into the bowl and the hop over the ramp and out into the river

My first prop entry. I attempted the bombing run but I'm uncertain if I got it in the right lake. 

By my count, the time was 23 minutes and 20 seconds. 

Please excuse the flickering/shaking/boiling. 

Edited by SuperHappySquid

1 hour ago, SuperHappySquid said:

My first prop entry. I attempted the bombing run but I'm uncertain if I got it in the right lake. 

By my count, the time was 23 minutes and 20 seconds. 

Please excuse the flickering/shaking/boiling. 

Excellent!, I knew it wouldn't be worth entering till you did! Sorry @Inter Now I have something to shoot for. Your entry is accepted, and since it's the only Super Mode run I wanted to ask, my initial intention was to have the furthest lake, the one after the one you bombed , the tiny little one as the target. Also I wanted to have the bomb drop before the zoom climb. What are your thoughts? I will give the run another go this week I think when I have some time. Do you want to forgo your time and set the competition that way? I would love to see some of the screamers try and get a bomb in that tiny lake.

1 hour ago, selfish_meme said:

Excellent!, I knew it wouldn't be worth entering till you did! Sorry @Inter Now I have something to shoot for. Your entry is accepted, and since it's the only Super Mode run I wanted to ask, my initial intention was to have the furthest lake, the one after the one you bombed , the tiny little one as the target. Also I wanted to have the bomb drop before the zoom climb. What are your thoughts? I will give the run another go this week I think when I have some time. Do you want to forgo your time and set the competition that way? I would love to see some of the screamers try and get a bomb in that tiny lake.

Honestly man it's your choice. Personally I don't think it should matter if you drop the bomb before or after the climb, but I do agree that the smallest lake, the furthest one, should be the target. It's up to you though. :¬)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.