River-run Air-race Challenge

5 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

My first prop entry. I attempted the bombing run but I'm uncertain if I got it in the right lake. 

By my count, the time was 23 minutes and 20 seconds. 

Please excuse the flickering/shaking/boiling. 

Nice flying there, especially considering you're using the keyboard.

I was planing on doing the prop challenge, because I have a few planes with the similar performance to your plane. Unfortunately my computer can barely run the ksp and video recording software at the same time.

1 hour ago, _Rade said:

I was planing on doing the prop challenge, because I have a few planes with the similar performance to your plane. Unfortunately my computer can barely run the ksp and video recording software at the same time.

Thanks man. I would love to see you enter. 

Yes I was thinking about this. There must be some other means of documenting a run other than recording, especially for a prop run where a recording may be upwards of half an hour. Perhaps @selfish_meme would be willing to make some accommodations for those who are unable to use recording software. Would it be enough to take a screenshot of the f3 menu display, showing the time of liftoff and the current time on the clock?

Edited by SuperHappySquid

2 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

Yes I was thinking about this. There must be some other means of documenting a run other than recording, especially for a prop run where a recording may be upwards of half an hour. Perhaps @selfish_meme would be willing to make some accommodations for those who are unable to use recording software. Would it be enough to take a screenshot of the f3 menu display, showing the time of liftoff and the current time on the clock?

I have the same type of thing where part count and recording software are troublesome. But even still if someone used a camera/phone/iPad they could upload to YouTube and link in post. 

Thanks @selfish_memefor this challenge I’m gonna get at it soon

Edited by NBDesigns
Added tag

2 hours ago, _Rade said:

No SAS either.  @SuperHappySquid is a purist in the best sense of the word.

7 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

Honestly man it's your choice. Personally I don't think it should matter if you drop the bomb before or after the climb, but I do agree that the smallest lake, the furthest one, should be the target. It's up to you though. :¬)

I feel like dropping the bomb on the way up is more in keeping with the beggars canyon/deathstar canyon theme, and it was already written that way. I am not going to disqualify anyone but from now on I want to see it done that way.

Drop bomb in final tiny lake before zoom climb.

3 hours ago, SuperHappySquid said:

I think for the stock prop entries because keeping under 400m is a doddle I would accept screenshots of the major events. Unless you beat me, then you are disqualified ;)

Hey dudes, my first challenge attempt (Keyboard + Mouse with stock parts): 

That should be 7:50 base time + 30 seconds for a breach (near the last home stretch) and crash landing at the end for another + 1. Hopefully all my maneuvers etc were correct

Final Result 9:20

I'm going to keep trying for a better time, but I wanted to get on the scoreboard at least if this run counts.

Edited by kaizokuroof

2 hours ago, kaizokuroof said:

Hey dudes, my first challenge attempt (Keyboard + Mouse with stock parts): 

That should be 7:50 base time + 30 seconds for a breach (near the last home stretch) and crash landing at the end for another + 1. Hopefully all my maneuvers etc were correct

Final Result 9:20

I'm going to keep trying for a better time, but I wanted to get on the scoreboard at least if this run counts.

I make that a 7:52, start at 0:25, end at 6:43, gives a 6:22 +1m, +30s is 7:52m

Hi, Selfish_Meme.
I've recorded my final attempt in a stock prop.  I know mine is not the fastest plane out there but it's the fastest stock prop I've been able to make and it allowed me to meet my personal goal in this challenge of being under half an hour.  The upload to my channel has finished, so here is the link:

After reading some posts above, I see the Beggar's Canyon challenge target has been changed.  I did not know this when practicing my trajectories last night.  I hope you'll excuse my attempt in ignorance that is demonstrated in this video.  That is to say, pardon my incorrect attempt but justly do not count it on the score board.
--Inter

Edited by Inter

On 7/7/2018 at 3:22 PM, SuperHappySquid said:

@_Rade I strongly second this, Rade.  I know at least two of my guiding principal aspects of technology in the stock prop engines I build are things I learned from reverse engineering your designs from a year or so ago.

Edited by Inter

On 7/6/2018 at 5:12 PM, selfish_meme said:

Making a noise is fine, I don't know if we need another category yet we will see, no restrictions on clipping

So if we don't have a separate category, does that mean that drones are legal in the main challenge?

Flew a good run, unfortunately  crashed at the end for 28:37 including the 1m penalty, this was my first run with this plane and it performed pretty well, enough to clinch second place!

Edited by selfish_meme

6 hours ago, CraterJumper said:

Hi everybody,
I've built an ugly plane (seriously, when I see your designs, I'm jealous).
If my design skills suck, I still built a pretty good engine.
So, let me spice the stock-prop category, I did the run in 21m46.

That is extremely cool, I'll try and update the list tonight, but well done. That's some engine, fast, low torque and parkable, I want it! ;)

17 minutes ago, KingDominoIII said:

I assume we need vids to enter?

Only for the Jet entries, because it is so easy to exceed 400m, you have to really try with the stock props to go over 400m so i will accept pictures of the main events.

5 hours ago, CraterJumper said:

Wanna get the ugly harry's craft file, Selfish_meme ? sure.
First I tried the steam workshop, no way to allow public share for everybody ????

So you may get it there : http://dl.free.fr/sXYymZqFZ
The rotor is not easy to disassemble, so I attached a sample on the wing.

Thanks I can't do anything with it right now, but you probably bought yourself some competition, by the way your plane looked very similar to my single engine one, but I could only get 190ms out of mine.

I flew my homemade X-3 Stiletto out from the KSC to see what all this hub-bub was about. 

Made it to homeplate to begin and completed the course on track for roughly a ~9-10 minutes pass only to have disaster strike in the final descent!

My front landing gear was jammed! But by the time the problem was sorted out it was too late and homeplate was coming up too fast!

Watch Jeb's brave final moments before being disqualified from the run :rolleyes:

Edited by Krog34
grammar

14 hours ago, HolidayTheLeek said:

Hello all! I have decided to submit my first attempt in the stock propeller section. This is currently a stop-gap time before I can develop faster stock prop aircraft.

My time was 23:19.

https://youtu.be/qh4qTr_GxjM

I'm afraid that re-entry into the bowl didn't happen, check some of the other videos, you need to re-enter the bowl, not over the ramp, lovely fast plane though ;) 

On 7/19/2018 at 6:27 PM, sturmhauke said:

Hello everyone. I'm a regular over on the subreddit, but this is my first time here. Anyway, I thought I'd post my prop entry here too. I call it the Euphrates.

https://youtu.be/fPRSkWXWW0c

Sorry about taking so long to reply, As with the guy above you have to come down back into the bowl, not over the top of the ramp, love the Mosquito aesthetic

Edited by selfish_meme

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.