The Ultimate Challenge Continued (originally by Just Jim)

4 hours ago, Kergarin said:

So I guess 1.2.2 is out then? Where there changes since then in atmospheres or engines?

Having read through the official changelog for 1.3, I can't see anything that was added that would affect this challenge, so 1.2.2 is fine as well. I might also take 1.1 and 1.0, but tag them as such due to changes that were made. I'm drawing the line at 1.0, though. Too much changed in that update.

24 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Having read through the official changelog for 1.3, I can't see anything that was added that would affect this challenge, so 1.2.2 is fine as well. I might also take 1.1 and 1.0, but tag them as such due to changes that were made. I'm drawing the line at 1.0, though. Too much changed in that update.

If I remember right, I got that original contract right after 1.0 dropped... I have to double check the date, but I'm fairly sure that's the case.

I agree, version 1.0 would probably be a really good place to draw the line. Besides, I seriously doubt anyone is still playing a version before 1.0, except for nostalgic reasons.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Ok thanks :)

Then I hope it's ok if post my second attempt on the Ultimate Challenge which was done in 1.2.2. :D 

It is 100% reusable and can do the trip over and over again without having to be recovered.

As a little bonus, here is how you get in career game from start to this rocket, all the way 100% reusable. :confused: https://youtu.be/LtMBu9-c-sI

@Kergarin You know, I had a feeling that this mission is why you were asking about 1.2.2.

It qualifies, of course. I'll add it to the hall of fame.

Any compliments I can give are a bit late at this point, but I was quite impressed when I first saw this. Eve is a tough cookie for completely reusable missions, and your solution is, in my opinion, quite elegant.

18 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

@Kergarin You know, I had a feeling that this mission is why you were asking about 1.2.2.

It qualifies, of course. I'll add it to the hall of fame.

Any compliments I can give are a bit late at this point, but I was quite impressed when I first saw this. Eve is a tough cookie for completely reusable missions, and your solution is, in my opinion, quite elegant.

i highly agree.

• 3 weeks later...

Hm. I have some crafts for this type of challenge. Should really get my ass up and fly it again. Memo to self: this time, do a backup of your KSP folder before another patch corrupts your Grand Tour attempt save game.

Oh, and not sure where I found it and I hope it is not against forum rules: the contract file for the ultimate challenge.

But if anyone wants to have the contract, you can modify your persistent.sfs to include the contract.
Include the following lines in the contract part of your persistent.sfs (make backups of your save game before any changes, of course)

CONTRACT
            {
                guid = 3f696ef6-7931-4883-ac0e-d92a7656e633
                type = GrandTour
                prestige = 2
                seed = 1104142353
                state = Active
                agent = Rokea Inc
                deadlineType = Floating
                expiryType = Floating
                values = 375907.995692177,4313250061.70154,2430918.08479053,16214223.2893987,2496031.89968705,0,474.4475,252,69936514.6939426,69560608.9582499,4382810670.65979,0
                progressType = 14
                finalDestination = True
                focused = True
                body = 16
                body = 14
                body = 11
                body = 12
                body = 10
                body = 9
                body = 15
                body = 6
                body = 7
                body = 3
                body = 2
                body = 5
                body = 13
                body = 4
                focusBody = 0
                finalBody = 1
                finalSituation = 1
                PARAM
                {
                    name = VesselDestinationParameter
                    state = Incomplete
                    disableOnStateChange = False
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 16
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 14
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 11
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 12
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 10
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 9
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 15
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 6
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 7
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 3
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 2
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 5
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 13
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 4
                    targetType = Land
                }
                PARAM
                {
                    name = LocationAndSituationParameter
                    state = Incomplete
                    values = 0,0,0,0,0
                    targetBody = 1
                    targetSituation = LANDED
                    noun = vessel
                    finalObjective = True
                }
            }

Mephisto.
(Anytime you get asked "do you have a backup?", it is actually too late to make one.)

Edited by Mephisto81

Just to clarify: neither the contract nor the special save are required for the Ultimate Challenge. You can use them if you really want to, but there is nothing in the rules mandating their use, and I will not judge a submission that uses them any differently than I would a submission that doesn't.

Previous instances of this challenge may have purported to require either the special save or the contract, but by the time of my original submission this requirement was not enforced, so I've decided to ditch it for simplicity's sake.

That makes sense. The contract simply adds some flair to the mission.

Does anyone know how to modify the contract for the Outer Planets Mod or other modded bodies? Where do I get the body numbers?

And the craft for the challenge is ready. Last test flight with attached Eve Lander to low Kerbin orbit was successful.
The Ranger MkIII has room for four Kerbals, full science equipment, a maximum of 2500+ m/s dV with high-thrust  chemical rockets, maximum range of 7.300 m/s dV with nuclear engines.
Take-off weight with Eve lander is app. 130t, if I start empty and refuel on the runway, I should pull off a starting weight of app. 62t.

7rqXKwq.jpg

Mephisto
(To infinity and beyond.)

The Grand Tour is underway...

nHo43Jz.jpg

Grand Tour with the Ranger Mk III / Javelin Eve Lander

Still in progress, but the following moons and planets have been covered:
- Kerbin
- Minmus
- Eve and Gilly
- Moho
- Mun
- Duna and Ike
- Eeloo
- Jool (flyby only) and Laythe (some bathing at the beaches is still on the programm...)

Next steps are the other Joolian moons and Dres, then return to Kerbin.

Complete mission report and upload of craft file at KerbalX will follow, when the tour is finished....

Mephisto
(Flying like a leaf in the wind. Especially on Laythe)

Finally. Just landed on Kerbin after 24 years and 396 days mission time.

Here is a link to my Google Drive folder, where all the pictures are:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1efhutoOddlttCYj3g4Qgogm6_lChwrej

This was my vessel:
https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XR-06-Ranger-Mk-III-Grand-Tour-with-Javelin-Eve-Lander

For the KerbalX Version, Mechjeb and Kerbal Engineer parts have been removed.

The following mods were installed:

- Mechjeb
- Kerbal Engineer Redux
- Trajectories
- Jettison fuel
- RCS Build Aid
- Environmental Visual Enhancements

KSP Version 1.4.4 and 1.4.5. Luckily, the update did not brake any saves this time. Making History DLC also installed.

I tried to keep my playing time at somewhat reasonable times. I did not make great use of aerobrakings, gravity assists or splitting burns to get most of Mr. Oberth. Rather, I used a brute force approach, oftentimes waiting for an optimal trasnfer window, but the next best withhin the delta V budget of my craft. With this approach, I managed to land on Kerbin in under 25 years mission time. For voyage planning, I used the route by Kergarin in his "Planting flags everywhere" videos, although I started from an existing save game  on year 2, day 121 with an unfueled craft on the runway. Flying the mission took me from July, 25th, till today. Planning and craft design started some months ago. There where some times, where I had to reload: landing on the Mun on spot without ore. Getting the flying and landing on Laythe right. Landing on Tylo. Timing the suicide burn right took me about ten reloads. And after Tylo, I had to be really careful with my Pol landings, because I was running out of fuel. Took some quickloads to get the Pol part right. Apart from that, the rest was relatively easy to fly.

Mission Log:

KSP Grand Tour Ranger MK III

Grand Tour Mission Goals

•         Land on every planet and moon (except Kerbol and Jool)

•          Plant a flag

•          Collect science

Vessel: XR-06 Ranger Mk III “Grand Tour”with Javelin Eve Lander

Crew: 2 Pilots, 1 Engineer, 1 Scientist

Voyage Plan

-          Kerbin: start empty on runway, refuel, take-off to low Kerbin orbit, transfer to Minmus

o   Minmus: vertical landing, refuel, transfer to Eve system

-          Eve: capture into elliptical orbit, transfer to Gilly

o   Gilly: refuel Ranger and Javelin Eve Lander, collect science and plant flag, transfer to low Eve orbit

o   Eve: transfer crew to and decouple Javelin. Descent to Eve surface, plant flag, collect science, ascent to low Eve orbit again. Rendezvous third stage of Javelin, the Tycho space sledge, with Ranger Mk III in low eve orbit. Transfer to Gilly

o   Gilly: refuel again, transfer to Moho

-          Moho: vertical rocket landing, flag, science, refuel, ascent. Transfer to Kerbin for Mun landing

-          Kerbin: capture into elliptical orbit, get Mun encounter

o   Mun: land on Mun with no fuel left. Discover that lowlands contain no ore at landing site. Reload. vertical rocket landing at another location, flag, science, refuel, ascent. Transfer to Duna

-          Duna: botch capture burn into elliptical orbit. Periapsis got too low. Emergency direct landing on Duna as parachute assisted rocket landing. Plant flag, collect science, refuel and take-off. Transfer to Ike.

o   Ike: vertical rocket landing. Science, flag, refuel. Transfer to Eeloo.

-          Eeloo: vertical rocket landing, science, refuel, flag. Do a group photo with all Kerbals at the outermost part of the voyage. Transfer to Jool.

-          Jool: capture into elliptical orbit, get an encounter with Laythe.

o   Laythe: attempt aerocapture at Laythe. Rapid unplanned disassembly ensues. Reolad and do a regular capture burn. Kerbals more happy when untoasted. Aerobrake into Laythe descent. Try to fly as plane in Laythe’s thin atmosphere. Stall. Tweak control surfaces. Regain control and continue flight. Find a nice landing spot. Pitch accidentally up at 600 m/s, slowing the craft down to 150 m/s. All crew lost consciousness due to g forces. Stall and drop. Pilot regains her wits, craft gets controllable again. Continue landing as plane with parachutes for slowing down.
Refuel, science, flag. The usual. Take off from the southern hemisphere and get as a spaceplane with rapiers into low orbit. Transfer to Vall.

o   Vall: rocket landing. Flag, science, refuel. Attempt to drive to another biome. Crash and reload. Take off to another biome. Collect science from 3 different biomes on Vall. Take off and transfer to Pol.

o   Pol: Nothing special here. Land, plant flag, collect science, refuel, take off again. Fuel loadout has to be estimated precisely for Tylo. Oxidiser tanks are full, Liquid fuel should suffice to get into Tylo low orbit and use Nerv as assist to Skiffs and Rapiers for Tylo landing. Transfer to Tylo.

o   Tylo: the stand-up guy child of planets. No atmosphere, but  0.8g gravity. Doing the landing from a 22km low orbit. Quick save 800m above ground.  Took some reloads to do the last part of the suicide burn precisely for a landing. Craft topples over and lands on the gears. Everything is okay, apart from difficulties at the next take-off from a horizontal position. Do one more reload. Perfect landing on the next attempt.
Flag a plant, science some collects, etc. Refuel and take off. Transfer to Bop.

o   Bop: Landing on literally the last drop. Discover that the last drop of fuel is somehow not accessible by the Nervs. Do a last second fuel transfer into the main tank. Land. Science, flag,  refuel. Spend some time with finding a proper window to Dres, which will not take 20 years. Found one with roughly 3000 m/s dV for departure and insertion burn, departure in a few days and only a couple of years in transit. Next stop, Dres.

o   Dres: Dres. What a lovely planet. Capture after a long burn. As science was collected, one message made me aware of the canyon on Dres. Landed first at the most easy spot, refueled, planted a flag on Dres. Did a quick hop to canyon vicinity. Perfect opportunity to get the Tycho Space sledge out of the garage. Anuki went with the sledge to the bottom of the canyon. Another flag, and some science here as well.
Returning the sledge into the garage was difficult with an upright Ranger. Relocating Ranger into horizontal mode, sliding with Tycho under it and lifting it up into the garage. Worked perfectly. All planets and moons have been visited now. Next stop Kerbin for the final return to KSC. Was doing a more dV-intensive transfer in order to save some time.

o   Kerbin: almost  at home. Capture burn and transfer into a low orbit was successful.  Stalled shortly after reentry, but recovery was no problem. Landed at the KSC without bigger problems.

Mission Time: 24 years, 396 days. All Kerbals returned alive.

Mephisto.
(
And down, down we go... )

@Mephisto81 Congratulations on completing the challenge! Designing an SSTO that can handle both Kerbin and Tylo is no mean feat, but you seem to have pulled it off nicely, and gotten the rest of the system in the bargain. All in all, very well engineered and flown.

You've been added to the Hall of Fame. Feel free to pick up the badge at your leisure.

• 3 weeks later...

I have completed the Grand Tour / Ultimate Challenge with the KSS Russian Doll

Mission summary

• Single launch.  All stock parts, no mods.  Crew: 1 x pilot, 1 x scientist, 1 x engineer. 
  • Planted a flag on all planets and moons (except Kerbol and Jool)
  • Tour:  Gilly, Eve, Moho, Gilly, Ike, Duna, Ike, Pol, Tylo, Bop, Laythe, Vall, Pol, Dres, Mun, Minmus, Eeloo, Kerbin
  • Mission Time 27 years 190 days.
  • Common craft is a Mk1 Lander Can with 2 x Clamp-O-Tron Docking Ports
  • Expendable Eve Lander, launch to orbit from 1750m
  • Re-usable hybrid craft, the Russian Doll, comprising
  1. SSTO Lander ship for Duna, Tylo and Laythe, with 1x Vector engine and Convert-O-Tron 125 ISRU
  2. Interplanetary Mother ship with 12 x Nerv engines and Convert-O-Tron 250 ISRU
  • Capable of collecting all available science from all biomes in the Kerbol system, except Eve’s surface.
  • Russian Doll landed at the Kerbin Space Centre, all Kerbals alive.

Craft file:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/slcodev8d7nxipi/AAD-AnIcomd91dRk5K8efv6Va?dl=0

Youtube videos: “The Voyage of the Russian Doll”

• 3 weeks later...

@JacobJHC Congratulations on completing the challenge and then some! Not only did you land on every body in the stock system without ISRU, a feat in and of itself, but you went on to knock out something like twice again as many planets and moons, courtesy of lots of planet packs. With most of your reserve fuel to spare. This is easily one of the most ridiculous missions I've seen anyone fly in KSP, and you have more than earned your place in the hall of fame. You may pick up the badge at your leisure.

Just one point of bookkeeping: Could you provide the names of all the planet packs you used so I can list them in your entry in the hall of fame? OPM I recognize, but the others are new to me.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

15 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

@JacobJHC Congratulations on completing the challenge and then some! Not only did you land on every body in the stock system without ISRU, a feat in and of itself, but you went on to knock out something like twice again as many planets and moons, courtesy of lots of planet packs. With most of your reserve fuel to spare. This is easily one of the most ridiculous missions I've seen anyone fly in KSP, and you have more than earned your place in the hall of fame. You may pick up the badge at your leisure.

Just one point of bookkeeping: Could you provide the names of all the planet packs you used so I can list them in your entry in the hall of fame? OPM I recognize, but the others are new to me.

Awesome thanks!

Also sure, here they are:

- Stock planets

- All OPM moons/ planets

- The Spud Moon mod 

- The More Gas Giants Mod

- The Apollo System Mod

2 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Heeeeeey. was that MY challenge?????

Not quite. I won't be visiting any other solar systems in this mission as I feel the idea behind a grand tour is to land on all the bodies orbiting the main star, or a planet pack that was designed to be a binary star for Kerbol. and not a seperate system. I also am not visiting the moons of Duna, Eve or Eeloo because they don't work in the current version. The other destinations will likely make their way into my mission eventually though, so maybe.

A suggestion of advice, I would remove the xenonclave mods since they are broken for this version and maybe make a separate challenge for visiting multiple solar system to keep the extended grand tour within Kerbol's reaches.

Also, I want to say I remember you saying you were doing an extended grand tour, how's that going? Good I hope :)

15 hours ago, JacobJHC said:

Not quite. I won't be visiting any other solar systems in this mission as I feel the idea behind a grand tour is to land on all the bodies orbiting the main star, or a planet pack that was designed to be a binary star for Kerbol. and not a seperate system. I also am not visiting the moons of Duna, Eve or Eeloo because they don't work in the current version. The other destinations will likely make their way into my mission eventually though, so maybe.

A suggestion of advice, I would remove the xenonclave mods since they are broken for this version and maybe make a separate challenge for visiting multiple solar system to keep the extended grand tour within Kerbol's reaches.

Also, I want to say I remember you saying you were doing an extended grand tour, how's that going? Good I hope :)

Well, the other stars are optional. It says so. I don't have much tech time and dad isn't home and the computer is downstairs and i don't know the password and mom can't go downstairs (she had surgery) and AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry for the long rant

8 hours ago, The Minmus Derp said:

Well, the other stars are optional. It says so. I don't have much tech time and dad isn't home and the computer is downstairs and i don't know the password and mom can't go downstairs (she had surgery) and AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Sorry for the long rant

No worries. Maybe in the future my mission will have enough landings to qualify for your challenge.

• 1 month later...

FINALLY

My Grand Tour run is finally up!

Mission profile : Single large SSTA, with dedicated Eve lander.

Refuelling missions : 1

Crew: Valentina Kerman (Pilot) , Elifel Kerman (Scientist), Crisald Kerman (Engineer), Sanbree Kerman (Pilot) and Liswell Kerman (Scientist).

Mods: MechJeb, BetterTimeWarp, TAC Fuel Balancer, Precise Node, Kerbal Engineer Redux, Kerbal Alarm Clock

Hyperedit was installed, but not used.

Some mods were bugged early in the mission.

Other info : ISRU was used, Entry for Jeb's level - Science(from jool) = 19711.3

Girls' Night Out - A Grand tour run.

note:if you wish to have screenshots of all the science collected from the jool system for proof, tell me, because i have them for totalling purposes.

Edited by Xurkitree