The Ultimate Challenge Continued (originally by Just Jim)

Next Grand Tour attempt is underway. 

(Lots of clipping involved, so might not be eligible. )

Nevertheless:
- 46t takeoff mass on the runway,
- 2 Kerbals
- 1 base SSTA with ISRU
- 1 Eve lander with 11.5t fully fueled, 6.5t empty. (https://kerbalx.com/Mephisto/XE-02-Stingray-Eve-Lander-115t)

We will see, if this one succeeds...

WYoeHIZ.jpg
To orbit!

5tEfaif.jpg
Almost 2000 m/s dV left in low Kerbin orbit.

rzEL9lR.jpg
First stop: Minmus. Refueling, flag planting, jetpack shenanigans.

2 hours ago, Mephisto81 said:

Next Grand Tour attempt is underway. 

(Lots of clipping involved, so might not be eligible. )

Welcome back! I'm excited to see how your submission plays out. Don't worry about the part clipping; it isn't against the rules.

• 3 weeks later...

Sd1mzXY.png

Initial Launch

Name : Sheep v4

Overall Mass : Roughly 3700 Tons

6K8R1WH.png

Sheep v4 Grand Tour set is on the left.

Current progress :

ZifCfUy.png

Landings nailed : 50 Landings

A present seems to be cleverly hid...

Edited by GRS

• 2 weeks later...

Oh...i forgot some early concept...lets go with it...

0wVggnn.png

Small Mothership.

354qAQo.png

Mothesheep (Pun intended).

fq8GPGC.png

Bullet Tylo Lander.

IIr12XZ.png

RTG Megawatt with Twin Ion engine, it can act as the center of an attachment.

tgF48dG.png

Prototype of the Godspeed Badurra lander, made because why not do it when i can ?

npdJN6M.png

Sheep v4 Grand Tour set.

DfvkDJj.png

Status update : 62nd Landing, the only one that has to be done in the Midnight.

(Yeah, i flexed too much, i planned 65 Landings)

Edited by GRS

@IncongruousGoat

Just to make sure...will a separation in Interplanetary space violate some rules ? The Mothersheep left Kerbin SOI as one, it is planned to release the Small Mothership in Sub Moho space.

• 2 weeks later...

Same version as before.

Packs :

-All Packs from previous Grand Tour.

-Plod

-Vulkan

-Distant Darkness

-Dres Moons

Other Mods :

KER and Trajectories

Edited by GRS

• 4 months later...

https://imgur.com/a/Hh7bXiE

I guess here's my submission. Single launch, no ISRU, no ions

Ship contents: Eve lander, mothership, x3 of nuclear tug with mini lander, Laythe/Tylo lander, Tylo fuel reserve, 2 extra rocket fuel tanks, 2 extra nuclear fuel tanks

Mission summary, chronological order:
Launch
A mini lander takes an extra rocket fuel tank for Mun and Minmus landing
Detach one nuclear tug and mini lander
Mothership transfers to Eve
Nuclear tug transfers to Duna
Detach a tug/lander and the Eve lander
Lander aerobrakes at Eve, mothership gets an Eve assist
Eve landing
Gilly landing
Nuclear tug arrives at Duna
Moho transfer
Mothership gets a Kerbin assist
Moho landing
Duna transfer
Duna landing
Ike landing
Mothership gets second Kerbin assist
Dres transfer
Mothership aerobrakes around Laythe
Dres landing
Jool transfer
Nuclear tug aerobrakes around Laythe
Laythe landing
Tylo landing
Return to mothership to get more fuel
Vall, Pol, Bop landing
Return to mothership to get more fuel
Eeloo transfer
Eeloo landing
Kerbin transfer
Kerbin assist
Aerobraking
Landed at Kerbin

Impressive...that's quite a lot of Part clipping though...but you can still ask @JacobJHC (sorry for the ping) whether that's safe for the Jool 5 thread or not.

@IncongruousGoat You got a submission.

More Detail 1 Crew (If you ask), can't really tell other things

Edited by GRS

@camacju Congratulations on completing the Ultimate Challenge! And very skillfully done, too - it's always good to see a submission using the divided-ship approach because of the precision, forethought, and attention to detail it requires in both planning and execution. The fact that you did it without ion engines on top of all that makes this easily the most impressive submission I've seen yet. You may claim the badge at your leisure - you've more than earned it.

Also, many apologies for not reviewing this earlier. I've been crazy-busy with work this past week.

EDIT: Before I write up the hall of fame entry, I do have one question: What version of KSP did you use?

Edited by IncongruousGoat

• 2 months later...

I've reached the point where this challenge is not particularly interesting to me alone. it's basically a matter of bringing isru equipment and refueling at every moon, or of bringing enough drop tanks. Unless there is something extra to spice it up

I have then decided to try this challenge with kerbalism installed. I will have to partake in this multi-year mission while dealing with life support, radiation damage, mechanical failures. To provide life support and redundancies, my main ship is 3600 tons and 1200 parts.

I am reporting my progress

So far, I'm dealing very well with life support and failures, but it sems solar storms are frequent enough that the mission cannot be stretched over a few years, even with the best mitigation techniques available. crew stress is rising even faster, even though i provided them with a flying luxury resort.

I wonder, in case I have to send my crew back and replace it with another, if i can get some honorary mention anyway

5 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I wonder, in case I have to send my crew back and replace it with another, if i can get some honorary mention anyway

Given that you're working under the constraints of Kerbalism (!), I'm more than willing to consider it. I've been thinking about adding an honorable mention section to the hall of fame for a while now, for submissions that don't quite follow the rules but are still worth looking at.

i am working on it and making a small series on my youtube channel. here is the playlist of my progres so far with many more videos to come:

i have been to eve, gilly and moho already. i have one question: the ship was launched in 1.10 but is it with 1.11 allowed to cheat a EVA science pack to the ship just because i want to read all the funny science messages?

1 hour ago, minerbat said:

i have been to eve, gilly and moho already. i have one question: the ship was launched in 1.10 but is it with 1.11 allowed to cheat a EVA science pack to the ship just because i want to read all the funny science messages?

I'm fine with it, as long as that's the only thing you bring over and the only thing you use it for is science messages.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

how about relay probes? is having some relay probes around that do not contribute to the mission in any way except by being radio bridges ok?

in case the answer is no, what if they are originally part of the big ship assembled in LKO, and are later detached and sent everywhere?

They're fine if they start off as part of the original ship.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 10:27 AM, king of nowhere said:

I've reached the point where this challenge is not particularly interesting to me alone. it's basically a matter of bringing isru equipment and refueling at every moon, or of bringing enough drop tanks. Unless there is something extra to spice it up

I have then decided to try this challenge with kerbalism installed. I will have to partake in this multi-year mission while dealing with life support, radiation damage, mechanical failures. To provide life support and redundancies, my main ship is 3600 tons and 1200 parts.

I am reporting my progress

So far, I'm dealing very well with life support and failures, but it sems solar storms are frequent enough that the mission cannot be stretched over a few years, even with the best mitigation techniques available. crew stress is rising even faster, even though i provided them with a flying luxury resort.

Well, after a long, long time the challenge is completed. I actually succeeded in visiting everywhere and bringing back all the crew, and even the ship with all its service vessels.

As it was pointed out, i do not technically fulfill the conditions, because i didn't land the same kerbin everywhere. I got confused, there is a clause on the Jool 5 challenge where you have to land a different kerbal everywhere, and i thought it would apply here too. Still worth a mention, though.

By the way, I am already planning a new grand tour, with the full kerbalism isru rules - so no more using diggers to get fuel "easily" - and with the additional condition that I must land a rover and visit multiple biomes everywhere.

On the plus side, i discovered how to activate the power-ups, which include the radiation decontamination unit, so small amounts of radiation over time won't be a killer anymore, and the TV, which should reduce stress (not sure by how much)

3 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

As it was pointed out, i do not technically fulfill the conditions, because i didn't land the same kerbin everywhere. I got confused, there is a clause on the Jool 5 challenge where you have to land a different kerbal everywhere, and i thought it would apply here too. Still worth a mention, though.

Don't worry about it - I was intending to waive the rule in this case, since (given the radiation exposure constraints imposed by Jool) I'm not sure it's actually possible to follow with Kerbalism installed. Besides, that rule is designed to prevent submissions consisting of a whole bunch of independent interplanetary missions all launched at the same time, which is not what you did.

Speaking of which...

Congratulations on completing the Ultimate Challenge! Completing the challenge at all is a noteworthy accomplishment all on its own, but you went ahead and did it under the constraints of Kerbalism. I didn't even think it was possible, going in, but I'm glad to say you proved me wrong. The hall of fame has been updated, and you may pick up the badge at your leisure.

• 1 month later...