The Ultimate Challenge Continued (originally by Just Jim)

M8QbSHb.png

New Ion Lander 4 Eeloo and smaller.

6CH3NUk.png

Disposable Laythe Lander.

MhadpDr.png

Second Stage.

AKL2zIL.png

EVA Powered orbitting.

oipBPno.png

Tylo Lander.

(This is going to be fun :cool:)

A discussion thread for my future entry.

Edited by GRS

3 minutes ago, GRS said:

@IncongruousGoat, may i ask you something ???

Can i recover my "fully" restorable Ascent Stage before first landing ???

I don't see why not. It's not like recovering (or not recovering) hardware on the surface of Kerbin makes much of a difference for a challenge that effectively starts and ends in LKO.

K, Thanks, The Sheep v3 is like 50% done by now, it's meant to be partially reusable, maybe you can ask questions in my discussion thread up there, i also named the landers.

2 minutes ago, GRS said:

K, Thanks, The Sheep v3 is like 50% done by now, it's meant to be partially reusable, maybe you can ask questions in my discussion thread up there, i also named the landers.

A reusable lifter is fine, so long as you don't go using it to launch stuff halfway through the mission. Again, (because someone already got bit by this), once you leave LKO, you can't launch anything.

bGg0OqU.png

If you're curious, that's "The Chimera" lifter that could lift like 320 tons or more like an SSTO and recover, accidentally went to KSC, it's the ascent stage of "Sheep v3", i'll make it bigger if payload ended up being over 320 tons.

dNdnLuE.png

Better shot of "The Grizzly Reaper" Eve Lander

Edited by GRS

11 hours ago, GRS said:

@iAMtheWALRUS

Come and drop your submission here !

Okey-dokey.  From the HoloYolo thread:

Here's my entry and album.   It's my general use cargo spaceplane with two disposable landers (lifted separately by the spaceplane, one left in LKO for a bit).  ISRU used.

The contract was completed, I swapped and carried the same MK1 capsule for each landing.  For kicks I did this as a "speed run", just over 9 Kerbal years to complete the mission. 

Game Version:  1.4.1

Mods used:

• Mechjeb
  • Stock Visual Enhancements
  • Environmental Visual Enhancements

Craft file:  https://kerbalx.com/kerbalspaceryan/Tiamat

Album:  https://imgur.com/a/sOuIc

18 hours ago, GRS said:

@IncongruousGoat

Up there is a good entry, he didn't get the spot from previous thread like what happened to @Kergarin earlier, but that entry right above me is in fact...above 1.4.

Are you referring to my old attempt for this challenge in 1.0.4? Sorry for the bad video, was my first ever :D

Burn times of several hours realtime due to the high part count and slow performance back then. 

Edited by Kergarin

@iAMtheWALRUS Congratulations on completing the Ultimate Challenge! Sorry it took me so long to get around to reviewing your entry; my life got taken over by a sudden bout of classwork.

I'm particularly impressed by that spaceplane of yours. Can land everywhere except Tylo and Eve, can glide at 51 m/s without stalling, can travel anywhere in the system with cargo... And you completed the contract, and did the whole thing in under 10 in-game years. Very well done. Your entry has been added to the hall of fame, and... oh, I see you've already claimed the badge. Mount it in your sig with pride; you've earned it.

2 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

oh, I see you've already claimed the badge.

Heh, slight faux pas on my part there ;).   I submitted this last summer in the then current thread but the moderator never reviewed it and I got tired of waiting.  Thanks for making me all official-like!

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, parzr said:

is there a file I can add to my game to put the challenge in my contracts?

You don't need the contract to complete the challenge anymore (see the challenge rules for further elaboration), but if you really want it, there's a link to it in the first continuation thread  (https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/145204-the-ultimate-challenge-originally-by-just-jim/). That link will give you a .zip archive which contains a text file and a persistent.sfs. Make a new save, then overwrite its persistent.sfs with the one in the archive. That will give you an empty career save with the contract and 10 million funds (which should be more than enough).

Again, though, you don't need it, and it's easier to just start up a sandbox game and go from there.

• 1 month later...

Le Spam

Been so long...I still doubt that i can do this...but still...I'll see if i can get this done later (Got lots of "To Do"-s in KSP)

• 2 months later...

Been so long...so much delay...now I'm bored, I'll see if i can get back to this later...

Focusing in this Challenge now, design still the same as the one i used Long ago.

Edited by GRS