How to make a rocket?

Hi everyone. I recently started to play this game, and I play in science mod. I need science points, so I put that science thing SC-9001 on my rocket. But it goes red and then explodes along with the bucket where the green alien sits. So I put many white rings over them so they won't go boom.

44444.png

But when I do launch it, it flips all the time. I always click on two weird things on launch, which state SAS and RCS -- I saw in one video that without them it will flip even more.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, important thing -- please, explain it in the simplest terms possible. I'm dumb. I'm really, extremely dumb. I tried to read tutorials here before posting but the only thing I understood is that drag has something to do with rockets. That's all. So please -- explain as if you're explaining it to a kindergarden kid who is mentally challenged. Like, for example, "Take that thing and put it here."

Thank you in advance.

Remove the extra white ring stuff to decrease weight. Right click on the boosters and adjust the slider for thrust limit. This will reduce how hard they are pushing, meaning you will not overheat and explode (that's the red glow you saw). As for tipping over, neither the type of fins you are using nor the SRBs engines pivot to help with steering, which is part of your problem with flipping. But if you take the other steps I've mentioned, that will lower the center of mass of the rocket and help with the flipping problem. :D

Good luck. 

Explaining things simple is always a challenge, I will try. I also hope you can understand. If you didn't you can always ask me. Below are steps to update your rocket if you want the quik fix.

The green alien = a Kerbal, green aliens = kerbals
RCS = Reaction control system (used to control roll, pitch and yaw in space) It only works if you have (A) small tiny thrusters installed which are in the control tab during construction (B) has a fuel tank that got monopropellant. Check this by right clicking on a fuel tank and see it's contents. Otherwise activating RCS does nothing. You seem to have no RCS :( 
SAS = Stability assist system. It only works if you have control on your vessel to begin with. For controlling you have engine gimbal (pivoting engine bell), wing control surfaces or reaction wheels to navigate your rocket. Reaction wheels can be part of a manned capsule, probe core part or reaction wheel parts themselves. If you right click on any of these parts it lists the reaction wheel torque in a menu that then opens, if it is listed to haven't any you won't be able to steer the rocket when you leave the atmosphere unless you have the above RCS installed. If you have no wing control surfaces, engine gimbal or reaction wheels then SAS has no function and thus provide no stability whatsoever.

Conclusion: You have no RCS or SAS ability because you have no way to control your rocket in your current design. Your rocket is basically completely unguided at launch.

Note: You currently have fins installed but they have no control surface. There are other types of fins you can select that do have control surface ability. If you right click on a wing piece it is listed with a control authority parameter and buttons to activate pitch, yaw and roll. These parts are control surface parts. Right click on the fins on your current rocket to see it hasn't got this to see your error. Many of the other fins do have this function.

Also, fins only deliver stability inside the atmosphere. After you've burned your second solid rocket booster you should be very much into space. This means you should drop the fins on the top. 

Drag: Every part creates drag. The part of a rocket with the most drag wants to stay near the bottom. The bottom part of your rocket is where the engine is, you want to make sure it always fires to the ground. In other words, you want your rocket to remain upright during the ascent where the nose stays forward and the engines faced backward.
Since everything creates drag you don't necessarily need fins. You can also build your rocket wider near the bottom by having several tanks on the sides. That is just a idea for you. The simplest solution is to make sure there's more or bigger wings near the bottom then at the top.

Heating: Every part in this game has a tolerance level for heat. The science jr SC-9001 part that overheats is notorious for overheating quikly. I can see why this happens in your case. You use the long white solid rocket booster as a engine on the first and 2nd stage. You cannot throttle the gas on these engines. That means they keep providing maximum thrust until they run out.
If you only use these engines to get into orbit you have to guide your rocket very shallow through the atmosphere. It's best to use these solid rocket boosters for assist of the ground and to accelerate speed while using other engine types like the LV-T45 swivel with fuel tanks to go into space. If you go to fast on these engines you can hold CTRL to lower the throttle and SHIFT to increase the throttle. On the solid rocket boosters this doesn't work. All you can do to alter it is to change the thrust limit during construction. Right click the booster during construction and set the thrust limiter to a lower value. Play with this a bit, and don't set it to low because then you wont have enough thrust to launch or get up to speed.

Questions:

1: Are you getting the red glow effect on your current rocket most of the time on your way to space? 
2: Does this effect persist for a long period while your engines are still firing?

If answers to the above questions are "yes" you are likely going to fast through the atmosphere. 

The idea of a ascent to orbit is to have decent control from launch using engine gimbal or winged control surfaces to get to a high enough altitude before accelerating to orbital speeds. Generally you want to stay below 1500 meter per second anywhere below 30km altitude for your science container to survive if it isn't protected.

STEPS:

1: Remove Fins near the top.
2: Remove the white rings (cargo bays)
3: Exchange the other fins (4 in the middle and 4 at the bottom) for types that have surfaces (flaps/ailerons) that can navigate your rocket. There are 3 other fins in the part list that have a identical shape that can do this. Also put these in quad (4 x symmetry as in your current design)
4: Right click on the 2nd long white tank in the construction building. That is the one that fires after the bottom one. When right clicked a menu opens, in that menu you change thrust limiter from 100 to 50. 
5: Start the flight.
6: Activate SAS (Can use "T" key on your keyboard)
7: Launch and use the WASD keys on your keyboard to yaw and pitch. Try to aim so that you don't go faster then 1500 m/s below 30km altitude for the science SC-9001 to survive. If you do go faster you have to launch steeper by pitching the rocket over a bit later. If you go much slower at 30km your should go shallower by pitching a bit more.
8: Always aim for 90 degrees on the navball (towards the ocean from the launchpad)

I remember that piloting requires some practice from my first KSP attempts so feel free to press ESC and revert flight to try again.

Edited by Aeroboi

13 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Remove the extra white ring stuff to decrease weight. Right click on the boosters and adjust the slider for thrust limit. This will reduce how hard they are pushing, meaning you will not overheat and explode (that's the red glow you saw). As for tipping over, neither the type of fins you are using nor the SRBs engines pivot to help with steering, which is part of your problem with flipping. But if you take the other steps I've mentioned, that will lower the center of mass of the rocket and help with the flipping problem. :D

Good luck. 

4 hours ago, Aeroboi said:

Explaining things simple is always a challenge, I will try. I also hope you can understand. If you didn't you can always ask me. Below are steps to update your rocket if you want the quik fix.

The green alien = a Kerbal, green aliens = kerbals
RCS = Reaction control system (used to control roll, pitch and yaw in space) It only works if you have (A) small tiny thrusters installed which are in the control tab during construction (B) has a fuel tank that got monopropellant. Check this by right clicking on a fuel tank and see it's contents. Otherwise activating RCS does nothing. You seem to have no RCS :( 
SAS = Stability assist system. It only works if you have control on your vessel to begin with. For controlling you have engine gimbal (pivoting engine bell), wing control surfaces or reaction wheels to navigate your rocket. Reaction wheels can be part of a manned capsule, probe core part or reaction wheel parts themselves. If you right click on any of these parts it lists the reaction wheel torque in a menu that then opens, if it is listed to haven't any you won't be able to steer the rocket when you leave the atmosphere unless you have the above RCS installed. If you have no wing control surfaces, engine gimbal or reaction wheels then SAS has no function and thus provide no stability whatsoever.

Conclusion: You have no RCS or SAS ability because you have no way to control your rocket in your current design. Your rocket is basically completely unguided at launch.

Note: You currently have fins installed but they have no control surface. There are other types of fins you can select that do have control surface ability. If you right click on a wing piece it is listed with a control authority parameter and buttons to activate pitch, yaw and roll. These parts are control surface parts. Right click on the fins on your current rocket to see it hasn't got this to see your error. Many of the other fins do have this function.

Also, fins only deliver stability inside the atmosphere. After you've burned your second solid rocket booster you should be very much into space. This means you should drop the fins on the top. 

Drag: Every part creates drag. The part of a rocket with the most drag wants to stay near the bottom. The bottom part of your rocket is where the engine is, you want to make sure it always fires to the ground. In other words, you want your rocket to remain upright during the ascent where the nose stays forward and the engines faced backward.
Since everything creates drag you don't necessarily need fins. You can also build your rocket wider near the bottom by having several tanks on the sides. That is just a idea for you. The simplest solution is to make sure there's more or bigger wings near the bottom then at the top.

Heating: Every part in this game has a tolerance level for heat. The science jr SC-9001 part that overheats is notorious for overheating quikly. I can see why this happens in your case. You use the long white solid rocket booster as a engine on the first and 2nd stage. You cannot throttle the gas on these engines. That means they keep providing maximum thrust until they run out.
If you only use these engines to get into orbit you have to guide your rocket very shallow through the atmosphere. It's best to use these solid rocket boosters for assist of the ground and to accelerate speed while using other engine types like the LV-T45 swivel with fuel tanks to go into space. If you go to fast on these engines you can hold CTRL to lower the throttle and SHIFT to increase the throttle. On the solid rocket boosters this doesn't work. All you can do to alter it is to change the thrust limit during construction. Right click the booster during construction and set the thrust limiter to a lower value. Play with this a bit, and don't set it to low because then you wont have enough thrust to launch or get up to speed.

Questions:

1: Are you getting the red glow effect on your current rocket most of the time on your way to space? 
2: Does this effect persist for a long period while your engines are still firing?

If answers to the above questions are "yes" you are likely going to fast through the atmosphere. 

The idea of a ascent to orbit is to have decent control from launch using engine gimbal or winged control surfaces to get to a high enough altitude before accelerating to orbital speeds. Generally you want to stay below 1500 meter per second anywhere below 30km altitude for your science container to survive if it isn't protected.

STEPS:

1: Remove Fins near the top.
2: Remove the white rings (cargo bays)
3: Exchange the other fins (4 in the middle and 4 at the bottom) for types that have surfaces (flaps/ailerons) that can navigate your rocket. There are 3 other fins in the part list that have a identical shape that can do this. Also put these in quad (4 x symmetry as in your current design)
4: Right click on the 2nd long white tank in the construction building. That is the one that fires after the bottom one. When right clicked a menu opens, in that menu you change thrust limiter from 100 to 50. 
5: Start the flight.
6: Activate SAS (Can use "T" key on your keyboard)
7: Launch and use the WASD keys on your keyboard to yaw and pitch. Try to aim so that you don't go faster then 1500 m/s below 30km altitude for the science SC-9001 to survive. If you do go faster you have to launch steeper by pitching the rocket over a bit later. If you go much slower at 30km your should go shallower by pitching a bit more.
8: Always aim for 90 degrees on the navball (towards the ocean from the launchpad)

I remember that piloting requires some practice from my first KSP attempts so feel free to press ESC and revert flight to try again.

Thanks for support, but judging by complexity of your answers, the only right conclusion I can make is that this game isn't for me. I didn't understand a thing you both wrote, sorry. Good thing I still have a chance to ask for refund, though.

Hi Jeine092 and welcome to KSP!

Looking at your rocket, I don't see any parachutes.  You will need them to safely bring that bucket with the green alien inside back down safely onto the planet Kerbin.

As has been suggested by other forums members, remove some of those fins; definitely remove the top four and probably the four in the middle of your rocket too!

You've obviously been spending science to unlock parts in the Research and Development building, and as you have the science thing SC-9001 you should also have batteries.  If you haven't unlocked the Inline Reaction Wheel (helps make your rocket fly straight) then I recommend you unlock it next.  You'll find it in the square on the tech tree (in the R&D building) just below the little jet aircraft, the one with the rocket surrounded by arrows.  You'll also get better fins (winglets) in there which will help you steer your rocket.  Put some reaction wheels inside your rocket, you should see a big improvement immediately.

As has already been said, remove some if not all of those white rings, and I'm curious to know where you have the bucket with the green alien inside.  You don't really need to protect manned - or Kerballed - capsules as they can take a lot of heat, indeed you'll blow up the parachute and still have the capsule intact, which isn't the best thing to have happen it has to be said...

What I've just tried to do was build a rocket which is based on what I think is close to your present level of technology. I did unlock the reaction wheels I mentioned a moment ago, the fins you used wouldn't give me any control over the rocket, so I threw all of them away, replacing them with one inline reaction wheel just under the stack decoupler underneath the heat shield which is attached to the "science thing".  Here's what I came up with:

5xCfzWb.png

Unfortunately it won't make orbit, but it will get you into space.  Don't touch the bottom SRB, the one above it, right click on it and slide the throttle setting back to 88.5.  To fly it, fly straight up until you reach 1000-1200 meters, then SLOWLY start to tip over to the right by pressing 'D'.  Keep doing this until both SRB's are jettisoned when you should already be well on your way to escaping the atmosphere, then tilt full over to the right and let the rocket climb until you're at about 100,000 meters before firing the last stage.  This will widen the arc your vessel's flying, reducing the angle of descent , giving it more time to slow down as it reenters the atmosphere.  You'll see flames surrounding the thing on the way back down, but it's fine, the heat shield will protect you.  Make sure to stage the parachute and don't worry, once you've done this it will automatically open once it's safe to do so.

To build this, start of with "the bucket with the green alien" ie. the Mk1 Command Pod, add the parachute to the top, then "science thing SC-9001" which is called the Materials Bay or Science Junior, followed by a 1.25 heat shield.  You could reduce the ablator on this to 20 if you wished (right click on it), but I didn't bother.  Then add your stack decoupler followed by an inline reaction wheel.  Add your liguid fuel tank and engine, with another decoupler underneath.  Add your two SRB's with yet another decoupler in between, cut back the throttle on the upper one (not strictly necessary but never hurts to learn to do these things), and away you go!  If you want to add a battery to power your reaction wheel you can do so, but I found the charge in the command pod was more than enough to do so.

Hope this helps, I know other members will be able to offer much better advice and guidance, but this will definitely get you into space and back safely.

Edited by The Flying Kerbal
Forgot something...

3 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Hi Jeine092 and welcome to KSP!

Looking at your rocket, I don't see any parachutes.  You will need them to safely bring that bucket with the green alien inside back down safely onto the planet Kerbin.

As has been suggested by other forums members, remove some of those fins; definitely remove the top four and probably the four in the middle of your rocket too!

You've obviously been spending science to unlock parts in the Research and Development building, and as you have the science thing SC-9001 you should also have batteries.  If you haven't unlocked the Inline Reaction Wheel (helps make your rocket fly straight) then I recommend you unlock it next.  You'll find it in the square on the tech tree (in the R&D building) just below the little jet aircraft, the one with the rocket surrounded by arrows.  You'll also get better fins (winglets) in there which will help you steer your rocket.  Put some reaction wheels inside your rocket, you should see a big improvement immediately.

As has already been said, remove some if not all of those white rings, and I'm curious to know where you have the bucket with the green alien inside.  You don't really need to protect manned - or Kerballed - capsules as they can take a lot of heat, indeed you'll blow up the parachute and still have the capsule intact, which isn't the best thing to have happen it has to be said...

What I've just tried to do was build a rocket which is based on what I think is close to your present level of technology. I did unlock the reaction wheels I mentioned a moment ago, the fins you used wouldn't give me any control over the rocket, so I threw all of them away, replacing them with one inline reaction wheel just under the stack decoupler underneath the heat shield which is attached to the "science thing".  Here's what I came up with:

5xCfzWb.png

Unfortunately it won't make orbit, but it will get you into space.  Don't touch the bottom SRB, the one above it, right click on it and slide the throttle setting back to 88.5.  To fly it, fly straight up until you reach 1000-1200 meters, then SLOWLY start to tip over to the right by pressing 'D'.  Keep doing this until both SRB's are jettisoned when you should already be well on your way to escaping the atmosphere, then tilt full over to the right and let the rocket climb until you're at about 100,000 meters before firing the last stage.  This will widen the arc your vessel's flying, reducing the angle of descent , giving it more time to slow down as it reenters the atmosphere.  You'll see flames surrounding the thing on the way back down, but it's fine, the heat shield will protect you.  Make sure to stage the parachute and don't worry, once you've done this it will automatically open once it's safe to do so.

To build this, start of with "the bucket with the green alien" ie. the Mk1 Command Pod, add the parachute to the top, then "science thing SC-9001" which is called the Materials Bay or Science Junior, followed by a 1.25 heat shield.  You could reduce the ablator on this to 20 if you wished (right click on it), but I didn't bother.  Then add your stack decoupler followed by an inline reaction wheel.  Add your liguid fuel tank and engine, with another decoupler underneath.  Add your two SRB's with yet another decoupler in between, cut back the throttle on the upper one (not strictly necessary but never hurts to learn to do these things), and away you go!  If you want to add a battery to power your reaction wheel you can do so, but I found the charge in the command pod was more than enough to do so.

Hope this helps, I know other members will be able to offer much better advice and guidance, but this will definitely get you into space and back safely.

Thank you. I added that 1.25 m thing at the end of the science thing but it exploded anyway... also, sorry for a late respond -- I suppose I did something wrong and now all my posts need approval.

UPD. I added two of them at the bottom and it still explodes.

Edited by Jeine092

4 hours ago, Jeine092 said:

This is what happens when I remove those rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwIPVd60xm0&feature=youtu.be

Ah, I see what you're doing now. :)

You're fine on the way up, but coming straight down like that from a great height exposes the craft to a great deal of heat. There are "heat shield" parts you could put under that science part to protect it, but you may not have invented those yet in your career. I would suggest instead turning the ship over and letting that blue nose piece lead the way as you're coming down. You still might have trouble, but that would help. See, the thing is, that science part is especially sensitive to heat and likes to explode whenever it can. Another thing you can do to help the science part survive is r-click on it after you have taken the science reading and clicking to "close the door," which will help it resist heat. 

I could give you some other suggestions but you said you didn't want to be overwhelmed, so maybe just try those for now. I hope you do stick with the game, because while it can be hard to learn, it's extremely rewarding when you can get your ships to work. :D

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Ah, I see what you're doing now. :)

You're fine on the way up, but coming straight down like that from a great height exposes the craft to a great deal of heat. There are "heat shield" parts you could put under that science part, to protect it but you may not have invented those yet in your career. I would suggest instead turning the ship over and letting that blue nose piece lead the way as you're coming down. You still might have trouble, but that would help. See, the thing is, that science part is especially sensitive to heat and likes to explode whenever it can. Another thing you can do to help the science part survive is r-click on it after you have taken the science reading and clicking to "close the door," which will help it resist heat. 

I could give you some other suggestions but you said you didn't want to be overwhelmed, so maybe just try those for now. I hope you do stick with the game, because while it can be hard to learn, it's extremely rewarding when you can get your ships to work. :D

I attached the second parachute and now this thing isn't heating -- I've got two anti-heat things on the bottom of the science thing and I make one of them go away before it explodes. So I managed to land and get 40+ science in one go.

And now I'm afraid because I don't know what to purchase from the upgrades.

564.jpg

This is how it looks like. What should I get to have more science?

Well, that's a style of play question and different people will suggest different things. Since you asked, though, I would take either "advanced rocketry" near the top for more versatile engines and fuel tanks, or "electronics" at the bottom for the solar panels and batteries which will allow your flights to last longer without running out of power. 

And now it's late night in my part of the world, so good luck and I'll check back tomorrow. :)

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

Well, that's a style of play question and different people will suggest different things. Since you asked, though, I would take either "advanced rocketry" near the top for more versatile engines and fuel tanks, or "electronics" at the bottom for the solar panels and batteries which will allow your flights to last longer without running out of power. 

And now it's late night in my part of the world, so good luck and I'll check back tomorrow. :)

Thanks a lot. Will be looking forward to it.

3 hours ago, Jeine092 said:

What should I get to have more science? 

You get a lot of science by researching the aviation node,  then use the landing gear and Juno jet engine to build a rover, then drive that around KSC and the area nearby for more experiments.

Another tip. You can order your Kerbal to do EVA, then right click the the science parts to collect the data, then board back to transfer the data to the capsule. You don't need to return the science parts, just the experimental results. In addition, a scientist can reset the lab, making it reusable.

First may I apologise for not getting back to you quicker, been a bit busy this last day or so.

Congratulations..!!  you made it back down again, way to go!  As Vanamonde said, you were fine on the way up, it was coming down that was murdering you. I'm sorry my rocket didn't work for you, I don't know why, the heat shield should have taken all the heat coming back through the atmosphere, keeping your "science thing" nice and cool.  I can only think it the fact you didn't turn over as you flew up into space, instead flying straight up, and then falling straight down again.  This really isn't a good idea, you should try to tip over to the right by pressing D so you don't plunge straight back down again.

Thosw "white rings" are actually service bays, they can be used to store equipment, smell science experiments, etc, accessing them by clicking on them and opening the doors.  But these service bays are also extremely resistant to heat, why not try putting just one of them underneath your science thing and come back into the atmosphere using it as a heat shield?

Anyway, again well done on finally making it back down, and see you in orbit! ;)

8 hours ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

Thosw "white rings" are actually service bays, they can be used to store equipment, smell science experiments, etc, accessing them by clicking on them and opening the doors.  

I don't have anything to add, just found the misspelling hilarious. I work a night shift, sometimes it is the little things I find enjoyable.

Hey!  If you haven't, you may want to check out the in-game Tutorials section, and I just looked this up : Guide to Kerbal Space Program...for Complete Beginners! - Part 1  Also, "bucket with the green alien" that's brilliant :D

You asked about what you should unlock with your Science points next.  It depends a bit on what you'd like to do next.  Do you want to make aeroplanes, or more rockets?  However, early on, a basic aeroplane (or even a jet-engine-powered car thing) let's you travel around Kerbin a bit easier, and cheaper - though vessel cost doesn't matter in a Science game mode -  and get a lot of Science points that way.  Then you have many more points to get more rocket parts.  Even the Kerbal Space Centre has lots of Science points available, check out the buildings.

I usually get "Aviation" (the plane picture one) as soon as I can.  Then I build a science car or a small plane, get enough points for "Flight Control" (the fourth one down, picture of a rocket with arrows around it).  That gives you the first "Inline Reaction Wheel" part which lets you use SAS as well as some little wing parts called control surfaces, all of which you need for keeping you rocket or plane stable.

I think it's "common" for the heat shield (round yellow-brown thing that stops explosions when you come back in the atmosphere) to go on the bottom of the crew pod (the bucket with the alien ;) ).  A lot of my rockets though, have stuff on the bottom of the crew mod, and end up coming down head first, so I put mine on the roof.  When parachutes open, it flips back round to land bottom-first.

Another thing you'll probably want to use is "drogue" parachutes.  They're the smaller yellow ones.  You activate them when you're in the atmosphere, but higher up and still going really fast.  They're meant to slow you down enough that you can use the main parachutes.  I often use the "radial" parachutes, they're the blue rectangle ones, because I might have a heat shield on the roof.

On the bottom left of your screen is the "staging" menu.  If the parachute icons there are red, that means you're too fast for them to open and they'll break.  Then you're in trouble!  If they're orange, I don't know, but the game says it's "risky".  You'll probably want to open them when the icon is white.

This is a fairly similar rocket to yours, I think.  Might give you some ideas?

iIzcORD.png

KSP can be quite hard to get in to.  It may have the basic concept of putting pieces together to make something else such as you might find in say, Minecraft or Empyrion, but there's a lot of things going on behind the scenes.  If you think it could be the kind of game you'd get a kick out of, stick at it a bit and when you find your groove, I hope you'll see it's very much a gem.  The threads where people show off what they've done are pretty inspiring.  And if you play for a bit, then check out the extent of player-made mods available...it blows up from there - in a good way.

Edited by Vegvisir

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, TheFlyingKerman said:

You get a lot of science by researching the aviation node,  then use the landing gear and Juno jet engine to build a rover, then drive that around KSC and the area nearby for more experiments.

Another tip. You can order your Kerbal to do EVA, then right click the the science parts to collect the data, then board back to transfer the data to the capsule. You don't need to return the science parts, just the experimental results. In addition, a scientist can reset the lab, making it reusable.

On 7/4/2018 at 2:26 AM, The Flying Kerbal said:

First may I apologise for not getting back to you quicker, been a bit busy this last day or so.

Congratulations..!!  you made it back down again, way to go!  As Vanamonde said, you were fine on the way up, it was coming down that was murdering you. I'm sorry my rocket didn't work for you, I don't know why, the heat shield should have taken all the heat coming back through the atmosphere, keeping your "science thing" nice and cool.  I can only think it the fact you didn't turn over as you flew up into space, instead flying straight up, and then falling straight down again.  This really isn't a good idea, you should try to tip over to the right by pressing D so you don't plunge straight back down again.

Thosw "white rings" are actually service bays, they can be used to store equipment, smell science experiments, etc, accessing them by clicking on them and opening the doors.  But these service bays are also extremely resistant to heat, why not try putting just one of them underneath your science thing and come back into the atmosphere using it as a heat shield?

Anyway, again well done on finally making it back down, and see you in orbit! ;)

On 7/4/2018 at 2:25 PM, Vegvisir said:

Hey!  If you haven't, you may want to check out the in-game Tutorials section, and I just looked this up : Guide to Kerbal Space Program...for Complete Beginners! - Part 1  Also, "bucket with the green alien" that's brilliant :D

You asked about what you should unlock with your Science points next.  It depends a bit on what you'd like to do next.  Do you want to make aeroplanes, or more rockets?  However, early on, a basic aeroplane (or even a jet-engine-powered car thing) let's you travel around Kerbin a bit easier, and cheaper - though vessel cost doesn't matter in a Science game mode -  and get a lot of Science points that way.  Then you have many more points to get more rocket parts.  Even the Kerbal Space Centre has lots of Science points available, check out the buildings.

I usually get "Aviation" (the plane picture one) as soon as I can.  Then I build a science car or a small plane, get enough points for "Flight Control" (the fourth one down, picture of a rocket with arrows around it).  That gives you the first "Inline Reaction Wheel" part which lets you use SAS as well as some little wing parts called control surfaces, all of which you need for keeping you rocket or plane stable.

I think it's "common" for the heat shield (round yellow-brown thing that stops explosions when you come back in the atmosphere) to go on the bottom of the crew pod (the bucket with the alien ;) ).  A lot of my rockets though, have stuff on the bottom of the crew mod, and end up coming down head first, so I put mine on the roof.  When parachutes open, it flips back round to land bottom-first.

Another thing you'll probably want to use is "drogue" parachutes.  They're the smaller yellow ones.  You activate them when you're in the atmosphere, but higher up and still going really fast.  They're meant to slow you down enough that you can use the main parachutes.  I often use the "radial" parachutes, they're the blue rectangle ones, because I might have a heat shield on the roof.

On the bottom left of your screen is the "staging" menu.  If the parachute icons there are red, that means you're too fast for them to open and they'll break.  Then you're in trouble!  If they're orange, I don't know, but the game says it's "risky".  You'll probably want to open them when the icon is white.

This is a fairly similar rocket to yours, I think.  Might give you some ideas?

iIzcORD.png

KSP can be quite hard to get in to.  It may have the basic concept of putting pieces together to make something else such as you might find in say, Minecraft or Empyrion, but there's a lot of things going on behind the scenes.  If you think it could be the kind of game you'd get a kick out of, stick at it a bit and when you find your groove, I hope you'll see it's very much a gem.  The threads where people show off what they've done are pretty inspiring.  And if you play for a bit, then check out the extent of player-made mods available...it blows up from there - in a good way.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:00 AM, Vanamonde said:

Could we get back on-topic, please? 

How's it going, @Jeine092

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I had to lay down on the game, because I kinda lost interest. But still, it's really nice to see so much support and help, which I didn't expect. So far, this is the most friendliest message boards I've seen in years.

Again, thank you all and sorry for any inconvenience I might've caused.

For basic sake, DONT USE SOLID ROCKET BOOSTERS. use liquid fuel engines which has an engine bell and is placed directly underneath a fuel tank. Make sure you use the right type though.

Its a shame you will not continue playing.

Press t right after liftoff.

And make the rocket shorter.

On 7/18/2018 at 1:05 PM, Jeine092 said:

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I had to lay down on the game, because I kinda lost interest. But still, it's really nice to see so much support and help, which I didn't expect. So far, this is the most friendliest message boards I've seen in years.

Again, thank you all and sorry for any inconvenience I might've caused.

It's a pity you've decided to quit, clearly you had made some progress before hitting the problem you asked help with in this thread.

Have you thought of checking some tutorial videos on Youtube?  Make sure they're reasonably up to date.  This game has a really steep learning curve, but if you keep at it you WILL start to figure out how things work and as you hit targets, complete missions, etc. you'll get a real buzz out of it.

So don't give up just yet, keep coming back here if you get stuck and soon you'll be sending green aliens in buckets all over the Kerbol solar system!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.