2.0 indirectly announced?

SkyKaptn

These engines are somewhat similar (not sure about the CryEngine but I worked with both unity and unreal for a bit) so it may be just kind of "you know this one? Good we'll teach you another, it's easy when you know at least one"

However. Why should it mean they're working on KSP2? It could be any other game as well. Sticking with one title for the past, how many, seven years? Can be tiring.

11 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

These engines are somewhat similar (not sure about the CryEngine but I worked with both unity and unreal for a bit) so it may be just kind of "you know this one? Good we'll teach you another, it's easy when you know at least one"

However. Why should it mean they're working on KSP2? It could be any other game as well. Sticking with one title for the past, how many, seven years? Can be tiring.

Yeah, who knows? Squad might be working on another game by now.

1 hour ago, invision said:

that banner has been there for as long as ive been a memeber

The contents of the banner change from time to time. 

I'd believe they have something else in the works, and once they've established themselves as a studio who can produce for TTI, then maybe TTI will let them have another shot at KSP. 

But no, this is not an indirect announcement of KSP2.  It is a direct announcement that Squad is looking to expand.   Don't look beyond that. 

Edited by Gargamel

27 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

But no, this is not an indirect announcement of KSP2.  It is a direct announcement that Squad is looking to expand.   Don't look beyond that. 

OK, if you say so. Since the banner has a picture of a Kerbal + the title of it reads "Looking for devs with experience from KSP", it could be easily interpreted as something KSP related is brewing.

Edited by SkyKaptn

29 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

OK, if you say so. Since the banner has a picture of a Kerbal + the title of it reads "Looking for devs with experience from KSP", it could be easily interpreted as something KSP related is brewing.

Well, it would be a little weird if they had the Civilization logo on the KSP Forums. 

That banner has been there for quite a while (at least 18 months or so), and the content of the ads change, but they are always looking for KSP players.  They know these forums are populated by a good number of very good modders, some of which have gone to work for Squad in the past.  This is the best place to recruit KSP-focused devs, regardless of the company's intended product. 

Might they have KSP2 brewing?  They might.   They might not.   Until they say, this is just rampant speculation, and that is never good for a community.   Just wait till (if) they make an official announcement. 

Edited by Gargamel

1 hour ago, SkyKaptn said:

it could be easily interpreted as something KSP related is brewing.

Probably deliberate secondary intention of the banner. Primary intention being to hire talented and experienced staff, secondary being to suggest to the playerbase that the game is still in active development without explicitly saying so.

Both the banner and this message are teeming with implications, so I'll deliberately state at this stage that I mean only what I've said and nothing further.

2 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

secondary being to suggest to the playerbase that the game is still in active development without explicitly saying so.

That!

And I'm not surprised by it. The audience is selective because it's for the creative nerds. Anyone with a creative mind a bit of knowledge and a fondness for engineering and/or spaceflight is going to love this game.
Whenever we are, 5 years ago, present or 5 years into the future, a lot of people will be going to love this kind of game and while the audience is selective or not the people getting into this kind of game will remain steady, or so I think. 

I've read this forum plenty of times and I can't remember I've seen people actually leaving where they stop playing this game. This should be telling! 
Most games become boring after a while because it becomes samey and repetitive especially when it's a story based game or being closed ended. In KSP this isn't the case. In addition, throw in all those mods and creativity of doing things becomes near infinite. In a way, it already is without mods to begin with. 
The human mind/spirit wants freedom, KSP gives this to you.
This isn't the type of game that you make, then sell millions of copies over the course of a few years and then it's dead.
Stopping to expand, improve and revolutionize this game is a fools job, especially for a company that makes money off of it.

I wouldn't be surprised if KSP is such a game that can really last forever as long as developers keep pumping money and new ideas into it. It's a good thing they still do because I would want to see this game improve and expand forever. 

Edited by Aeroboi

lol no. Squad is just looking to hire more devs. They've done this many times before - staff are always entering and leaving the company. The chances of this being KSP 2.0 are virtually zero - they're still working on the original game and there simply hasn't been enough time to warrant a second game this early. If they are developing another game, it sure as hell won't be KSP 2.0

14 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Money.  Take Two surely didn't buy KSP for the remaining long tail and profits of a few DLC.

DLC can be hugely profitable... especially parts packs. Little development cost involved compared to making a whole new game :)

26 minutes ago, Mark Kerbin said:

True but dlc also annoys some players. Idk why.

Depending on the game (such as any free-to-play) DLC can be seen as a blatant cash-grab and a gateway to players who have money to:

• stomp on players who have inferior/free/no gear
  • progress much faster, much farther in the game (can easily be seen as unfair advantage)
  • fight for bragging rights and then exercise these rights at every opportunity (with or without stomping on players who have inferior or no DLC)
Edited by JadeOfMaar

26 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Depending on the game (such as any free-to-play) DLC can be seen as a blatant cash-grab and a gateway to players who have money to:

• progress much faster, much farther in the game (can easily be seen as unfair advantage)
  • fight for bragging rights and then exercise these rights at every opportunity (with or without stomping on players who have inferior or no DLC)

*was sarcastic "idk why" but I didnt make it clear.

true tho. good point.

They've been mentioning those other engines for a couple years now, dating back to when the banner first was introduced. Though it clearly has been updated as it's been horribly resized.

That said, they likely are just wanting you to have cross platform capability (proving you can work no matter what platform is needed) than they are intending to make a new game. Though anything is possible. I would say you're onto something, if it wasn't for the fact that the multiple platform aspect has been there for a while.

Also a few months back I sent my application to join the QA team, and have never heard back. So much disappointment :( .

On 7/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

But why would any of that matter in a single-player game?

If they are planning on doing something like that I really hope they will be making a multiplayer sequel/prequel with kerbals, procedural parts and atmospheric activities (flying, driving, etc.). Basically better and more adorable SimplePlanes.

I'd buy that.

On 7/1/2018 at 4:11 AM, The Aziz said:

Fully agree. It's like looking for a web developer who is familiar with frameworks x, y or z; it doesn't mean all three are used, just that you want somebody who has a familiarity with those kind of systems. No need to lock yourself in on purely Unity experience, especially if a large part of the work is not limited to Unity (artwork, background story, etc).

On 7/1/2018 at 4:11 AM, The Aziz said:

Well, if you want to get really paranoid... Every job posting on that page starts with "Kerbal Space Program is looking for..." except for Senior Game Designer, where it says "we are looking for"
Sloppy inconsistency... or is a non KSP-title in the making?

(This is actually not intended to be taken too seriously but I'm sure the crowd will run with it)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.