Reinstate minimum ten-character limit.

FleshJeb

Character limit  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a minimum character limit for forum posts? If so, how many?

• No
    • Less than 10
    • Greater than 10 (please specify with a comment)
    • Post your Master's thesis or get out.

I recall the forums having a minimum ten-character limit to make a post/comment.

There's been a relatively recent influx of prolific, but low-effort posters who clog up threads by posting things like "Cool!" or "Yay!"

I'm glad people are participating, but it's certainly putting a damper on my enjoyment, and I find myself bypassing discussions I would otherwise try to contribute to.

Since no rules are being broken, I imagine it's challenging to moderate this behavior. This technical solution may be the best choice.

I'd prefer a 20-character limit, but I'd settle for 10.

No

EDIT:  See?  That was a completely legitimate and intelligent answer, written concisely and cleanly.   Some responses to post don't require a full paragraph to explain. 

If you are going to reinstate it, make it post count or Rep dependent.  It's to prevent the type of spam that this type of reply can create.  Make a minimum post count so that it will hopefully weed out some of the immature spammers that show up.

Edited by Gargamel

11 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

This.

That. :P 

As long it's a grammatically valid sentence, and not "Ooooohhhhhh". "AAaaaaahhhhhh" or pieces of paper :P like that, I'm ok with minimalists posts.

Of course, I'm just brainstoming and not proposing a final solution - I would need to carry on some statistics on the forum's data set in order to really propose something like this.

LOL. Jerks.  <--Ten characters :D

I'm kidding, of course--I know how much you guys contribute.

I appreciate the food for thought. In the meantime, I'll put some very young forum members on block, so they don't eat up so much screen real-estate. I just dislike doing that, on principle, unless someone is being willfully antisocial.

6 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

LOL. Jerks.  <--Ten characters :D

I guarantee you had to go back and add that first period to get it to ten.. Either on Screen or at least in your head.     That's why min character counts are stupid.   I might post somebodies name, or a mod name, etc, and then I have to come up with 4-5 other characters to fill up the dead space. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

We are considering this suggestion. 

Is there really a need for it?  I have not seen many, very very few, instances where this is even applicable.  Now maybe it happens in the Lounge or games forums, which I don't frequent as much, but in the main forums, I don't think it's a problem.   If it's not broke, don't fix it.    But I would be behind this 100% if we had a lot of posts that were just spammily annoying because of the lack of this rule. 

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Is there really a need for it?  I have not seen many, very very few, instances where this is even applicable. 

Perhaps due the Moderation acting quickly? (just a guess, I really don't know).

It's probably unfeasible on this forum's engine, but I like the Slashdot's Meta-Moderation. It used to work on the times there were "real moderators" overwatching the meta-moderation, but since they (apparently) started to rely only on the meta-moderaion itself things kind of gone through the tubes.

My personal feeling is that the forum should be all inclusive with regards to what members post, provided it is within the forum guidelines. 

"Cool" or "Yay" are emotional responses for the person who wrote them - and who hasn't been overcome by exuberance in their lifetime.  I think the diversity in age, language and culture in this forum is the main reason it is considered to be "The least toxic forum on the internet" and for that moniker to hold we should be inclusive of all members, even if their contributions are not to our own personal liking.

I don't see the benefit of a minimum character requirement, but I would like to see a requirement for help requests in the tech subs to be written in comprehensible sentences with punctuation and linebreaks.

5 hours ago, James Kerman said:

My personal feeling is that the forum should be all inclusive with regards to what members post, provided it is within the forum guidelines. 

"Cool" or "Yay" are emotional responses for the person who wrote them - and who hasn't been overcome by exuberance in their lifetime.  I think the diversity in age, language and culture in this forum is the main reason it is considered to be "The least toxic forum on the internet" and for that moniker to hold we should be inclusive of all members, even if their contributions are not to our own personal liking.

I highly agree.

GTHO&STHU:wink:

Spoiler

Oop. Only 9! Yet I still feel I said way more in a few letters than some of these replies. 
No. HELL to the no. I know it's crude, but I hope the moderators understand even if it gets clipped and I'm not vilified by the mob mentality it may invoke. Bottom line: the assumption that 

On 7/2/2018 at 2:36 PM, FleshJeb said:

This technical solution may be the best choice.

is based on a bias. I believe it's a bias the OP intends to spread in order to remove a certain demographic from the KSP community. Who the :sealed: do you think you are?! Being articulate isn't for everyone and everyone has their reasons/excuses. You feel somethin' in those 9 characters? It's called "indignation." 

My favorite words to read here on the forums are often "IT WORKS!" after helping a budding KSP engineer with something. "Got it!" or "I did it!" or "New best!" ...None of that is even possible if you would have the mods mandate a minimum. This is the internet, not a dictatorship run by novelists. Just move on if you don't like what's posted. Just know I typed all this out just for you @FleshJeb. I hope you're truly satisfied, O Great and Powerful internet personality of bias. I hope you're very proud that a moderator has already replied. And if you are, if a minimum is mandated, I hope there is at least one time that you are made silent by its implentation because all you can think to say is "wow." Maybe you're an awesome person really. Maybe you're having a bad day. Or juuuust maybe

On 7/2/2018 at 2:36 PM, FleshJeb said:

it's certainly putting a damper on my enjoyment

of having the freedom to say what's on my mind, even if it's not approved by you.
"Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me AGGRAVATED!"

Edited by Dark Lion