Cannot get an antenna working for Minimus

It is also possible that Kerbin itself blocks the signal, depending on your difficulty settings. If you don't use the extra groundstations, you will also need some relays around Kerbin so the signal will always be able to reach the KSC.

Assuming you are not running out of (electric-) power, the antenna is capable to cover the distance to minmus, even if your tracking station is still level 1.

15 minutes ago, Hummingbird Aerospace said:

Ahhh, yes. So the HG-55 can relay too? Thank you for helping me with this, @Rocket In My Pocket and @4x4cheesecake. I forgot about the factor of the Mun blocking the signal or the KSC not being on the right side.

Not a problem, glad to help!

Yes, the HG-5 is relay capable. The HG-55 however is not, confusing I know.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/HG-5_High_Gain_Antenna

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Communotron_HG-55

That said, a direct antenna can still send a signal that other relay capable antennas can relay. So if you had relay satellites in place, the HG-55 could bounce it's signal off of them.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

You are probably being blocked by the Mun, but if not them make sure your antennae is extended. The HG-55 can look extended when it's not, and it is easy to overlook. Many probe missions of mine have gone out of control thanks to a bad connection. If you want a perfect signal all the time then throw some relay satellites up in a high Kerbin orbit for future missions to the Mun or Minmus. If your mission is manned, then it's fine if you go out of touch with the KSC for a little bit because you still have crew control. I usually don't worry about it.

For later use, though, upgrading your tracking station boosts the effective range of all antennae to KSC.  Maximum range between two points depends on the signal strength at both ends.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.