I don't if you have done any helicopter or propeller engine if you did you know that you must use 2 crafts to make it fly and have some system of locking the engine well If we had bearings that would let the engine rotate without the rotation of the entire plane and we wouldn't need the locking mechanism which I think is the hardest part to make so I believe if we had them it would be a lot easier for people who don't know how to build one be able to do it easily and a lot of the power from propeller engines are lost due to vibration inside the "casing" and with Bearing we wouldn't lose so much power and propeller planes would be faster and with more power maybe bigger

Edited by Lumafepe

Personally I am picturing the bearings looking sorta like the anywhere attachment point looking thing with a segmented attachment to its face for connecting things to. The backside would be stationary while the front side allows free rotation. This can be allowed to rotate or stay in a static position as if a magnetic brake were applied.

Of course to actually use them  for propellers you would have to figure out how to get them spinning in some fashion. 

For use as an actual propeller base it would be better if it was something like what I just mentioned but as a basic motor behind it with the output speed of the motor tied to a throttle. A setting to choose which direction the motor spins would be good to. This would easily allow someone to create propellers of any type they want. Although having the option to when activated move so many degrees and then return to the original position when deactivated would increase their usefulness for things like hinges. Could use liquid fuel or electricity.

Although through the combined use of both objects would allow you with creativity to create many other objects such as walkers. At least to a degree. Or tilt wing air craft.

Hinges and electric motors would be another cool thing.

I use the small inline reaction wheel whit alt+e  for prop planes so they keep spinning I put some thermoelectric generators for electricity (they can keep flying forever) but because of the engine not being attached  it vibrates and you don't get much power what men's low speed and can't get very high into the sky

You can totally make bearings in the stock game, we do it all the time.

Honestly, if it was as easy as just slapping a part on, it wouldn't be any fun. Not like VTOL's are actually useful for anything, they are just for funsies and/or bragging rights.

Anyways, plenty of mods add working easy to use bearings if that's what you want.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

27 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Anyways, plenty of mods add working easy to use bearings if that's what you want.

Not everyone wants mods or has access to mods(console). Yes you can kludge together a bearing but if you are fighting fps due to part count using multiple parts to create a bearing for multiple propellers adds a fair number. Plus if it was implemented like I suggested above it would add a lot of fun trying other things besides a simple propeller.

26 minutes ago, avengerki said:

Not everyone wants mods or has access to mods(console). Yes you can kludge together a bearing but if you are fighting fps due to part count using multiple parts to create a bearing for multiple propellers adds a fair number. Plus if it was implemented like I suggested above it would add a lot of fun trying other things besides a simple propeller.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

At this point if it hasn't been added, it's most likely an intentional decision. For better or worse.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just ask for stock propellers if that's what you want? That'd be a lot less parts than even a "hypothetical" 1 part stock bearing + a "makeshift propeller" assembly.

2 hours ago, avengerki said:

Plus if it was implemented like I suggested above it would add a lot of fun trying other things besides a simple propeller.

Have you seen some of the stock bearing creations out there?  Calling them "a simple propeller" is an insult to the players artists that created them. 

A stock bearing is kind of outside the "Rocket go up, sometimes go boom" simplified mentality of the stock game.  There are many available in mods, and that's where they should remain.  A single stock bearing would not make that many people happy.  It'd be the wrong size, or shape, or color.  They'd have to add more.  I'd rather see modders customize a large selection of very specific bearings for very specific tasks, rather than there be a couple bearings that just don't work perfect for anything. 

7 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Not like VTOL's are actually useful for anything, they are just for funsies and/or bragging rights.

I simultaneously disagree and agree with this statement. For me, making VTOLs and stock propellorcraft has been an exercise in self-education, and a way of better understanding RL engineering. My dad passed away in February, he was formerly an aerospace engineer for Rolls-Royce, but I never really discussed his work with him and the closest my career has brought me to his was tuning in a friend's Spitfire (Triumph, not Supermarine). Building engines in KSP hasn't taught me any more about what he did, but it has made me appreciate more the skills he had. For me, that's more than funsies and bragging rights.

But when it comes to a stock bearing part, or even a motorised bearing part for propellors, well I can't say that would have had anything like the same effect. Firespitter gives a range of propellor parts, if that's your goal. Build-a-burger propellor engines don't interest me much at all.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:20 AM, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Not like VTOL's are actually useful for anything, they are just for funsies and/or bragging rights.

Oh god no.... I missed this the first time around.  

VTOL's are far superior in my science farming games than regular aircraft.   Build a VTOL with sufficient range, and I can biome hop across a continent like it's nobodies business.    Mountain top rescue mission (which happens often enough with a variety of contract packs), no problem.    Ocean S&R?  No problem.    I've used VTOL's to place flags along the flight paths of returning Spaceplanes to serve as outer/middle/inner markers, to help me hit the correct glidescopes I'm aiming for. 

To clarify when I said VTOL's are mostly useless I meant only in the strictest min/max since of beating the game and doing the objectives the game requires of you.

Ie. You could "beat" the entire game without using a VTOL plane. (I'm sure there are players on this very forum who have done grand tours but never used a VTOL plane for an actual mission. I'm sure some of them ignore planes entirely!)

Obviously they can be useful in a variety of situations, assuming you choose to put yourself in those situations. That said; I do all the time myself, I love VTOL's and "more complicated than they have to be" designs as a rule. I want a given mission to take as much time and effort as possible, it's more fun that way! Maybe it would have been more accurate to say they aren't useless but they certainly aren't required?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.