Probe control Point (or: do I need the manned command module?)

Now I got the understanding that with commnet, one can control an unmanned probe if the command module/probe core have "probe control point". However, the next sticking point is:

Suppose Vessel A, B, C are not connected to KSC.

• Vessel A is a Lander Can Mk2 (aside from MEM and Mk1-3, it also have Probe Control point), with 1 Pilot and 1 Kerbalnaut.
  • vessel B has an advanced probe core and a Cabin, containing a non pilot kerbalnaut
  • Vessel C is an unmanned probe.

Based on my understanding, A can control C, and B can also control C, right?

If B cannot, would (B') where the kerbalnaut is a pilot allow (B') to control C?

EDIT: Thank you. so in my case, Vessel B' will suffice.

Edited by Jestersage

Simply put, for commnet:

-all command module/ probe core have internal antenna by default. It allows you to control probe or communicate with KSC. However, this internal antenna is insufficient for beyond low kerbin orbit and it cannot transmit science

-an antenna allows you to control probe as long as the antenna is connected to KSC. If the partial control is activated on advanced difficulty setting, it'll allow you to control the probe even without connection, albeit severely limited. A dedicated antenna (any type) can be used to transmit science report. An antenna is mandatory for maintaining control of a probe from relaying probe

-manned command pod (not the crew cabin!), as long as it's crewed will be controllable, even without connection to KSC. Even if the kerbal who's piloting it is not a dedicated pilot (scientist or engineer). Pilot occupation gives kerbal the ability to point to a specific direction in flight, such as prograde/ retrograde, target/ antitarget, normal/ antinormal, etc. A pilot also has higher G force resistance than non-pilot. A non-pilot kerbal has very limited option in maintaining heading, but can be remedied by attaching avionic flyby wire part, which gives any kerbal controlling that vessel flight assist in the form of all the ability of dedicated pilot

-some antenna is able to relay the signal from one antenna to other antenna. Very useful when the range is too far for one antenna to reach or blocked by moon/ planet. Check the part details for information. Remember, not all antenna can be used as relay

So for example you have a probe on jool orbit, it has antenna, which connects to KSC from relay satellite on duna. Near that probe, there's a command pod with a kerbal but no antenna or probe core (A), a probe core with no antenna but has crew cabin with kerbal inside (B) and a probe core with antenna but no kerbal (C). In short: A and C are controllable, but B are not

Edited by ARS

In order to provide remote control to a probe, you need

• a command module that provides "Probe Control Point".
  • a spare pilot on the controlling vessel.
  • Most probe control points are "single hop only": you need a direct comm link between the two vessels. No relaying.
  • the receiving vessel must have a command module with "remote pilot assist available" -- I think that's almost all of them.
  • 6 hours ago, bewing said:

And the controlling vessel needs to have a relay antenna.

What it gives you is a) remote control of vessels even outside commnet range, and b) the SAS skills of the pilot giving assistance. Note that you can give remote assistance to crewed modules -- those still need to be manned in order to work at all, but you can (e.g.) provide pilot assistance to a lander carrying a lone scientist.

Edited by Laie

6 hours ago, Laie said:

In order to provide remote control to a probe, you need

• a command module that provides "Probe Control Point".
  • a spare pilot on the controlling vessel.
  • Most probe control points are "single hop only": you need a direct comm link between the two vessels. No relaying.
  • the receiving vessel must have a command module with "remote pilot assist available" -- I think that's almost all of them.
  • And the controlling vessel needs to have a relay antenna.

What it gives you is a) remote control of vessels even outside commnet range, and b) the SAS skills of the pilot giving assistance. Note that you can give remote assistance to crewed modules -- those still need to be manned in order to work at all, but you can (e.g.) provide pilot assistance to a lander carrying a lone scientist.

I think you answer the closest to what I am asking for, but just for clarity sake:

Situation: assume there is no commnet connect to KSC; I do understand it's single hop, direct link between vessel only; The Target vessel Only has a probe core, takes "remote pilot assist"

My question is then:

• 1) Can the controller's command module can be either a manned command module (Mk1-3 Capsule, Lander Can Mk2, and MEM), or the advanced probe (RC-001S/L01) -- or am I restricted to the capsule?
  • Controller's Spare pilot: Is it the same regardless of using the manned command module or probe, or only applied to the manned module? In short, if I have a non-pilot kerbal in a craft that have RC-L01, can the veessel act as a controller?

I am designing a controller vessel that (for sake of discussion) have only have a probe core, crew cabin (no manned command module), and a relay antenna -- ie scenario B/B' as my OP stated. I am wondering if it can control a target vessel with only a probe core, assuming the target takes "remote pilot assist"

Edited by Jestersage

22 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

I think you answer the closest to what I am asking for, but just for clarity sake:

Situation: assume there is no commnet connect to KSC; I do understand it's single hop, direct link between vessel only; The Target vessel Only has a probe core, takes "remote pilot assist"

My question is then:

• 1) Can the controller's command module can be either a manned command module (Mk1-3 Capsule, Lander Can Mk2, and MEM), or the advanced probe (RC-001S/L01) -- or am I restricted to the capsule?

Yes, or. You only need one of those 4 thingies as the control point for your ship.

22 minutes ago, Jestersage said:

• Controller's Spare pilot: Is it the same regardless of using the manned command module or probe, or only applied to the manned module? In short, if I have a non-pilot kerbal in a craft that have RC-L01, can the veessel act as a controller?

I am designing a controller vessel that (for sake of discussion) have only have a probe core, crew cabin (no manned command module), and a relay antenna -- ie scenario B/B' as my OP stated. I am wondering if it can control a target vessel with only a probe core, assuming the target takes "remote pilot assist"

As Laie said, pilot means pilot. The Kerbal has to be a pilot. If it's not a pilot, then it won't work. The pilot is the one who drives the rover, while the other pilot or probe core controls the main vessel. But once it has an advanced probe core, it should not need any command module. Just a pilot kerbal in a crew cabin should be enough -- assuming you don't want to EVA your pilot, or you have some clever way to get them out.

According to the part stats the manned modules require two pilots, the probe cores only one.

I've never done this myself, though. I'd suggest you do some tests, behind the moon or wherever you have no commnet coverage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.