May have found Eve Easter Egg.

Paaaad

https://imgur.com/gallery/NUxXOuU
Spoiler

Appears to be the letters "NEL" spelled out in the terrain.

Bottom image is from a screenshot I took on the original Kerbal Maps a while back, while the top is from the current, temporary solution. That's the slope mode- it's not nearly as visible in the other two available.
Spoiler

The top left corner of the "N" is at 2.4° S, 67.6° W.

I've opted to hold off on adding this to the Wiki for now pending independent verification.

Edited by Paaaad

@Paaaad, If you could please, put most of your post within a spoilers tag.  It usually frowned upon to talk openly about and give away info and locations about in game easter eggs.  And please, link a better pic, that one is so tiny I can't even see detail.   

But my guess, from that little grainy photo, is that you are anthropomorphizing (not exactly the right term) the terrain into something else, similar to the Face on Mars.   Although, there are a lot of easter eggs in the game, it could be one, but I'd be surprised if there are any left to be found.  But, I'm just nobody, and I could be wrong.   It would be cool to see a new one found. 

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

But my guess, from that little grainy photo, is that you are anthropomorphizing (not exactly the right term)

The right term is pareidolia, and I agree with you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Pareidolia is a psychological phenomenon in which the mind responds to a stimulus, usually an image or a sound, by perceiving a familiar pattern where none exists.

Common examples are perceived images of animals, faces, or objects in cloud formations, the Man in the Moon, the Moon rabbit, hidden messages within recorded music played in reverse or at higher- or lower-than-normal speeds, and hearing indistinct voices in random noise such as that produced by air conditioners or fans

9 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

That's the ticket.  I knew that was the wrong term, just couldn't come up with it.   And my google fu was pretty weak, even though I could find the Face on Mars. 

Idk... Looks kinda like that was on purpose. 

I mean this;

Spoiler

Image result for medicinehead mountain

probably humans overthinking things a bit

However that Eve formation stands out just a little bit too much for me to say Im just seeing things. Specially because its smack dab in the middle of a lakey thing and doesnt have the same organic look of the terrain around it. 

(Likely just confirmation bias tho.)

This will not stop me from sending a base and calling it Nel tho. 

Im also going to read into this way more than I really should. *Googling Intesifies*

Ill get back to you guys

Edit: Google translate has it reading "in the" or "in" in several romance languages. Time to go look at more terrain maps (Just bored, not insane)

Yeah no, not seeing anything.

Conculsion; glitch, used to say Neil before terrain was fixed in 1.2, or part of something.

Ok back to work

Edited by Mark Kerbin

18 hours ago, Gargamel said:

@Paaaad, If you could please, put most of your post within a spoilers tag.  It usually frowned upon to talk openly about and give away info and locations about in game easter eggs.  And please, link a better pic, that one is so tiny I can't even see detail.   

But my guess, from that little grainy photo, is that you are anthropomorphizing (not exactly the right term) the terrain into something else, similar to the Face on Mars.   Although, there are a lot of easter eggs in the game, it could be one, but I'd be surprised if there are any left to be found.  But, I'm just nobody, and I could be wrong.   It would be cool to see a new one found. 

16 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

As I mentioned in the OP, I am hoping for independent verification on this, just in case it's just my imagination or an artifact of the map. Also: https://imgur.com/gallery/bFwwax9

16 hours ago, FireKerb said:

And besides, what would NEL mean?

My guess? The initials of the person who designed Eve's terrain map.

Edited by Paaaad

Well, I did some googling, and you seem to be the first to have ever noticed/mentioned Either "NEL" or "VEL" in the forums, although the foreign language forums of full of Nel, but I'm pretty sure they're not just holding out on us.

But I sent a lander, vie Hyper Edit BD, to the location you listed, and here's what I found:

WjNCaJy.png

Given how obvious most of the rest of the Easter Eggs are, and the very difficult time I have seeing letters here, I gotta say, I don' think this is one.  I understand you are also showing the entire slope, below sea level too, but I just don't see it. 

Short of a listed/confirmed dev coming out and saying that, yes, they did carve their initials in these Fjords islands, I don't think we can say this is an egg. 

Oh, and thank you for the tags. 

Edited by Gargamel

2 hours ago, Mark Kerbin said:

Idk... Looks kinda like that was on purpose. 

I mean this;

Reveal hidden contents

Image result for medicinehead mountain

probably humans overthinking things a bit

However that Eve formation stands out just a little bit too much for me to say Im just seeing things. Specially because its smack dab in the middle of a lakey thing and doesnt have the same organic look of the terrain around it. 

(Likely just confirmation bias tho.)

This will not stop me from sending a base and calling it Nel tho. 

Im also going to read into this way more than I really should. *Googling Intesifies*

Ill get back to you guys

Edit: Google translate has it reading "in the" or "in" in several romance languages. Time to go look at more terrain maps (Just bored, not insane)

Yeah no, not seeing anything.

Conculsion; glitch, used to say Neil before terrain was fixed in 1.2, or part of something.

Ok back to work

Yea- that terrain fix theory seems likely. The lettering is definitely more visually prominent in the old screenshot, and, looking back through my files, the larger image that's part of was taken May 16 2016- before 1.2 came out.

7 hours ago, Paaaad said:

My guess? The initials of the person who designed Eve's terrain map.

After searching around for a bit, I was unable to find anything relating to the initials NEL within Squad. So probably not.

Emphasis on probably. It might indeed be some sort of initials, but from what I've gathered, it's unlikely.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:24 AM, Gargamel said:

I understand you are also showing the entire slope, below sea level too, but I just don't see it. 

Just because it's under sea level doesn't mean Squad wouldn't (or couldn't) hide an Easter Egg there. They did the same thing on Kerbin, so why not on Eve, too?

Edited by Delay

Mankind for who knows how long looked up at the moon and said theres a man in the moon. We look up with telescopes at mars and say theres a face on mars. Now we look at eve and say theres a "NEL" on eve. we tend to try to make sense or patterns out of otherwise random or irregular things, examples include looking up at a roughly textured roof and seeing faces or other objects out of the specks. Its just how we work. As for if that was on purpose, Devs can and have been sneaky.

If you point out a feature and there isn't a rapid consensus that its an easter egg... then its likely not an easter egg. Easter eggs should be something that when you find them you recognize them as something special.

This looks like random junk to me with a vague resemblance to letters.

8 hours ago, Delay said:

Just because it's under sea level doesn't mean Squad wouldn't (or couldn't) hide an Easter Egg there. They did the same thing on Kerbin, so why not on Eve, too?

Well, the original photo is so grainy and low rez, it's difficult to make anything out.  There was enough for me to go there and look though.  And this 'egg' is not completely submerged, it's about half above and half below sea level.    If we're trying to claim the second letter is an E, in the photo I took, there is clearly no E there. 

What we have are artifacts from the design of the planet, there is nothing intentional here. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.