KSP Weekly: The Asteroid Miners

SQUAD

9 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

Take 2 owns the intellectual property rights to KSP, but employs Squad and Blitworks to develop and maintain their respective KSP versions.  If/when the development and maintenance cycles for Kerbal Space Program end, there is no guarantee Squad will continue to be contracted by Take 2 to develop follow-on KSP products, or any other software titles.  Further, as an indie game developer, Squad could very well be shut down, and the individuals working under the Squad banner would have to find other jobs.  As players, we have no obligation to ensure the continued employment of Squad's coders, artists, producers, etc, but repeatedly stating that you want KSP to end is sort of rude to the people that work on it.

As I understand it.  Game development is typically a cycle of moving from one project to the next.  The vast majority of developers do not count on one game for their livelihood, nor should they.  A game is the next piece of their resume.  Finishing it is part of the cycle.

What I'm saying will probably come off rude, as you say.  As a customer, I am, yes, asking the company to finish the product I paid for.  That is my desire.  It may sound rude in this modern age of game development, but any other workplace, and it's standard practice.  Leaving projects unfinished would get me fired.  Fixing an air conditioner, only to break a piece of the furnace would get me written up.  Game development is hard.  I understand that.  ...but this isn't a recent issue with Squad.  ...and I don't believe customers should be required to care how your product is made.  You're product only needs to be compared to it's peers, and the consumer makes their judgement call based off of this.

Anyway, to much rambling from me.  Just in general I think.

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

I guess nobody told him the world's first trillionaire has already happened. And they're not an asteroid miner.

(Hint - their name isn't -and will never be- on Forbes' World's Richest list. They don't like publicity.)

DUDE!!!  I told you not to say anything to anyone!!!

(hehehe... just kidding...)

On 7/7/2018 at 3:01 AM, TriggerAu said:

Hopefully you don't have to cause we try to not update anything that should affect mods in the revision releases. To my knowledge that's the case with all the 1.4.x releases. I updated mine for 1.4.0 as there's been no changes that need rework on those since, and pretty sure I've seen LGG (who maintains a massive list - I dunno where he finds the time) and some others too with the same.

Or you could create a poll and ask the users which mods should be added into the game so that with the release of a new version we don't get 1-2 weeks delay before we can actually play the game again. For me, I just can't play the game without some essential mods like:

SVE

Transfer Window Planner

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Engineer

Chatterer and Extended

How about just giving these modders some petty cash and include their mods in your game and be done with it?

5 hours ago, mystik said:

Or you could create a poll and ask the users which mods should be added into the game so that with the release of a new version we don't get 1-2 weeks delay before we can actually play the game again. For me, I just can't play the game without some essential mods like:

SVE

Transfer Window Planner

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Engineer

Chatterer and Extended

How about just giving these modders some petty cash and include their mods in your game and be done with it?

Hehe, Two of those I am the Modder - TWP and KAC.

Maybe to expand on my comment, I set the version checking in the mods to be only the major and minor version, so the checking software/CKAN know its not revision dependent (ie. the third number of the version) and from the KSP side we have been very careful to avoid any changes in revision releases that change code signatures/behaviors etc.

So for 1.4.0 I recompiled and fixed a few tweaks, for 1.4.1/2/3/4 and 5 nothing for me to do and the version checking config in the mods means it doesnt complain about it being incompatible when a new revision comes out

I cant guarantee every mod will work like that obviously, but its definitely the intent to not change stuff that could impact mods as we have (and have had) many mod authors as developers who all understand the problem changes to the code/structures used by mods can cause, and appreciate the time commitment it is to maintain and improve them. 

6 hours ago, mystik said:

The original lead developer attempted to answer the mods-into-stock question in this 2014 post

I would add: what if Squad tried to streamline a mod once it is now "stock," according to their vision of better game balance? Or remove something because they decide a particular sub-function is rarely used? Some will complain that tweaking this or that small item was their favorite part of the original mod.

What if the original mod author has ideas to improve or expand on the idea?  Squad may update sections of code ("refactoring") for better performance. It can be extra work to incorporate the mod author's changes because of the differences in coding methods. That takes time, fans of the mod author want to install the latest. A year later nothing really changed, popular mods outside the base game are still needing updates after the base game goes through a major update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.