New Career Playthrough Question (add-ons/historical)

MR_STYLZ

Looking to play again after about a long while off

My main enjoyment comes from realistic/historical type playthroughs (career type).  Starting from scratch with low funds, and working my way from small craft, to unmanned, to manned, to the mun, etc etc and beyond.

I figure with mods and DLC this experience is not only still possible but possible enhanced and I am looking at some direction before I start.

Also have a bit of interest in maybe planet bases in the future - but not required

Thanks

Edited by MR_STYLZ

Starting from scratch with low funds, and working my way from small craft, to unmanned, to manned, to the mun, etc etc and beyond.

"Better than Starting Manned" is good - it rearranges the early tech tree so that you'll be doing more probes initially, plus you get better plane parts earlier.

I also like stuff where it makes sense that it should be possible in the stock game, just not there - such as electric propellers, nuclear reactors, sea-planes, submarines and suchlike.  There's a lot of mods in this category but SXT is a good place to start, with possibly NearFuture, BDArmory, MKS as well.

Also have a bit of interest in maybe planet bases in the future - but not required

MKS is a huge suite of mods for planetary bases but comes with a lot of additional complexity - for something that just looks nice, you might want Planetary Base Systems.  I like Planetary Domes as well because they look awesome even if they are really fiddly to incorporate.

Another mod for a more realistic start is "Unmanned before manned" but it's similar to "Better than Starting Manned" so whatever I guess. Other than that you might like Ven's Stock Revamp as it makes a lot of the parts look more realistic while also keeping the kerbal feel. Dunno if it's updated for whatever version you're using though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.